HpH MiG-15bis

Dragon

Hello All,

I'm in with the HpH MiG-15 resin kit.  This is my first attempt at a resin kit, so I will undoubtedly have a steep learning curve with a few stumbles along the way.  I'm looking forward to the learnings and challenges of this build.  

DSC_05561_zps75060504.jpg

I plan on doing a NMF on the build which will be another first for me.  Harv generously provided me with the Aeromaster Korean War MiG Aces Part 1 decal sheet to use on this build.

Let the cutting and sanding begin!

Mike

Edited by Dragon

Comrade, You had better be careful, I hear there are many Capitalist pigs  flying south of the 38th parallel! 

Seriously Mike, I'm glad to see somebody building that kit, if I could afford one I would build one too. :)

Well all learn together and have fun, just like the last Group Build.

All the best,

Your friend,

Paul 

Yes, Comrade the smell of swine is thick in the air down here!  I must be on constant guard to avoid detection.

Yeah, I've searched the web for anyone building this kit, but I wasn't able to find any build reports, just reviews.

I thoroughly enjoyed the AWOV GB, and I know I'll enjoy this GB too.

Mike

Mmmmmm looking forward to this.

HpH is as good as it gets and I dont think you should be too worried. Give mating surfaces a light sand on a piece of sandpaper on something flat and it will help the fit a lot - just a light sand. And since you'll be using CA a lot make sure the fit is good before you apply glue.

I'll follow this one closely. I do not worry much about surgery (read butchering) on some kits, but Trumpeter's offer seems way too much work, although some masters here have achieved outstanding results. The HPH kit seems a good (not cheap) alternative.

I won't be participating in this GB. I have to learn that I just cannot complete anything within the time frame of a GB.

But I'll follow others happily !

Hubert

I'll be following along as well.  I have the Trumpeter kit, but like Hubert said, after chasing down the issues, it ends up being almost as expensive to fix and 4 times the effort.  Good call on the HPH kit!  

Looking forward to this build

Kai

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm gonna LOVE this one. I hate MiGs, but they taste good. My next build after this will be a Skyraider to blast these Pinko Commies out of he sky.

Ah, comrade you hate MiGs because how easily they scare those invading capitalistic pig pilots from the sky!  

Yes another putt putt prop for our North Korean comrades can use for target practice. 

:rofl:

Guest Clunkmeister

Be like a Tempest or a P-47 disposing of the 262 'problem'. Just hang around their airfield for when they come back after using up their 15 minutes worth of fuel.

It will make for easy pickin's. So easy a Piper Cub could do it with a .22.

Good evening all,

I was able to spend a couple of hours at the bench tonight, and I figured since this is my first resin kit, I'd start with something easy.  So, I selected the landing gear and wheels.

Here's the parts I selected to start this build:

DSC_0570_zpsltmivwjh.jpg

After removing main wheels and cleaning them up, I wanted to see how they'd fit in the tires.  And as you can see the wheels have a smaller diameter than the tires:

DSC_0575_zpsadpzx5xx.jpg

DSC_0573_zpsgkx5rqst.jpg

I'll center the wheels in the tires and fill in the gap with thinned down Mr Surfacer.

Next was the landing gear, and here are a couple of pics prior to cleaning them up:

DSC_0580_zpsoq0bctof.jpg

DSC_0579_zps5atrrllq.jpg

The front gear had some casting pockets that'll require some filler:

DSC_0585_zpsm1iqthng.jpg

Here's a pic of my night's effort:

DSC_0586_zpsohrsctfi.jpg

These will get a bath to clean off any releasing agent, and they'll be off to the paint shop.

Thanks for stopping by my build.

Mike