Brass casting LSP gear

Out2gtcha

Hi guys I made several masters for Ernie at G-Factor - the masters are created and laid up with the casting plugs. Ernie then takes a mold in clear silicone, and this new silicone mold is used to shoot wax copies... when enough wax copies are created they are all attached to a bigger casting tree which is then cast into a plaster...and normally centrifugal force is used to fill the plaster casting and the molten metal then replaces all the wax - that is why it is referred to as the lost wax casting method. The plaster is then removed, and the big casting tree cleaned. Thereafter the newly cast parts are cut off the tree... quite an interesting process that dates back to antiquity!

Cheers

Alan

Hi guys I made several masters for Ernie at G-Factor - the masters are created and laid up with the casting plugs. Ernie then takes a mold in clear silicone, and this new silicone mold is used to shoot wax copies... when enough wax copies are created they are all attached to a bigger casting tree which is then cast into a plaster...and normally centrifugal force is used to fill the plaster casting and the molten metal then replaces all the wax - that is why it is referred to as the lost wax casting method. The plaster is then removed, and the big casting tree cleaned. Thereafter the newly cast parts are cut off the tree... quite an interesting process that dates back to antiquity!

Cheers

Alan

Neat!!   Im thinking that is probably the way Shanes guy will do it.

I just received the contact information for a caster that a friend of mine's father in law used to produce finely cast brass products for HO scale railroads like switch signs and such. I'll try to make contact over the weekend or Monday. I'll see what is required for a setup and cost per set. The OV-10 will be the first set we focus on.

Thanks

Shane

Hit me up if he needs set up money, Shane. If he needs a bunch, I'm sure there's a few of us here who can share the load...

Yep, same here Ern!  Shane and I have already discussed this, and I mentioned the same thing at the time to him that Id be willing to kick in some extra capiltol to get the project off the ground, and/or supply any additional parts he may need for the masters, since we will have to have x2 masters for R-L MLG.

If you saw Shane's model at the masters, then you know the masters are in the right hands!! 

Shane,

As Ern mentioned, I think there is a TON of interest in this project, and likely more interest even beyond the OV-10 and F7F if those two go well.  Thanks again for initiating this project, as Im SUPER excited about it, and have been waiting (as you and a lot of us have) for OV-10 gear that will not flex, bend or sag over time. 

Guest Clunkmeister

Agreed Brian. I need no financial return on it at all. I just know that its a needed product by us. I'll contact Shane as well

Agreed Brian. I need no financial return on it at all. I just know that its a needed product by us. I'll contact Shane as well

Yep, my ONLY interest I this project is seeing some SUPER needed parts in our hobby come to fruition.

This project has been a long time coming and I'm SO excited to see two of my all time favorite aircraft in 1/32 kit form reaxh their potential.

Guest Peterpools

I'm in for:

F7F gear

Bronco gear

and if the experiment works, F4D gear as well.

I'm willing to pitch in for my share of the setup cost with Ernie

Peter

Brian, I certainly ain't a fan of SAC gear on 1/32. I doubt it would be an option.

I think Shane might be on the right path. He's got contacts in the industry, and if it happens, we can all pull the lids off our Bronco boxes.

In following this string, I was wondering, what's the skinny on SAC stuff?

Is it because it is white metal, or poor quality castings?

Personally, I don't care for white metal.

For the record, I have sand-casted brass, it was better then casting aluminum, so I would prefer it myself.

For my source of the metal, spent Berdan-primed military surplus ammo rifle shells did fine.

:innocent: Tom

Is it because it is white metal, or poor quality castings?

Both. But mainly its SACs white metal. That stuff bends SO easily that Im not sure it wouldnt take just a couple of days or less before an OV-10 with SAC gear on it started get splayed out. 

I'm in for a couple sets of Bronco gear sets. And if Revell Phantom gear gets made, about 5 sets. And I've got 25-30 lbs of brass I could ship out!

Hey, Hold onto that thought!  Im not sure what will be needed, but hells bells, that might be something that could lower our overall costs, depending on how much the caster can get it for, and if shipping it doesnt kill the deal. 

Guest Clunkmeister

LOL. We don't want Jeep Boy feeling left out now, do we?

:rofl:

Ernie

Of course Brian is in with us.

Nothing like a new venture taking fruit

Peter