Revell Me-262 B-1/U-1 Nachtjäger

Jan_G

Untitled_zpsdxrfotnh.png

Hi guys,

this is my new project. It is the new Revell kit with aditional Eduard AM (brassin wheels, interior PE, exterior PE, pre coloured steel seat belts and masks)

I know that there is perfect detailed build thread already in WIP. My goal is to keep it as relaxing project next to my resin projects. I am no expert in Luftwaffe planes but I like almost all of them and Me 262 is one of my favourite. just beautiful plane (two seater as well  :))

I want to learn to paint late war Luftwaffe camo on this one, so will keep build simple and clean. And spend most time with painting and weathering. No open engine cowlings or gun bay. I will put more efort in detailing some visible parts like cockpit and engine intakes only.

build fundamentals...

IMG_1190_zpslt1ehwih.jpg

IMG_1192_zpspxfmx9hm.jpg

IMG_1193_zpsrmq7mcvn.jpg

have started with puting main fuselage parts together. I used metal pipes instead of plastic canons, because after I drilled muzzles on plastic parts I was not satisfied with results and want to save some extra space in gun bay for aditional weight. I am using Tamiya Extra Thin Cement for gluing which is IMHO superior for this job. Glued joints were not cleaned yet, but it will require only smooth sanding and some minor panel lines rescribing

IMG_1313_zpshe9szzj3.jpg

IMG_1314_zpstj5bn1ah.jpg

IMG_1316_zpsv2pxhbio.jpg

IMG_1318_zpsqmqvskle.jpg

I was really suprised that there are no fit issues so far. Everything fits together really well. And some clever engineering for open panels and especially for wing joints. just litlle cleaning and it fits together in perfect dihedral geometry. I like such simple approach  :thumbsup:

IMG_1321_zpsioeb2r5p.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsr5ndelfh.jpg

and dry fit test of wings and fuselage 

IMG_1322_zpsajjwdlvo.jpg

IMG_1323_zpsiaglmm53.jpg

IMG_1324_zpscfooym0r.jpg

thanks for looking and any comments are welcome

jan

Colleague, virtually all aircraft were armed with two guns MG-151.

No 262 B1a/U1 ever used MG 151 while in Luftwaffe service. One aircraft was photographed post-war in the USA with protruding tubes, but photos of the same plane at the time of capture show no such tubes there. So, those tubes were added in the USA. We do not even know whether those tubes actually connect to a MG 151 (or any weapon, for that matter). One other thing to keep in mind is that by the time that plane was photographed with those tubes, it was after a slight crash that damaged the antennas, which were reinforced with diagonal braces at the "root". 

Radu 

Hello

Nice project, go on!

Radub, please:

aow...sad new, the 262b never have the mg151 as depict in the Smith& creek for the Nr 110305? THEN.... I am going to do "11" red...no evidence concerning this lady...;-)

I ve got a question about the 4 oval hole of the floor on the armement bay, is it the hole to feed the ammo magazine? Otherwise, if not ..how were feed the gun?

Fab

Hello

Nice project, go on!

Radub, please:

aow...sad new, the 262b never have the mg151 as depict in the Smith& creek for the Nr 110305? THEN.... I am going to do "11" red...no evidence concerning this lady...;-)

I ve got a question about the 4 oval hole of the floor on the armement bay, is it the hole to feed the ammo magazine? Otherwise, if not ..how were feed the gun?

Fab

No one knows what "Red 11" looked like or even if it existed. There are no photos. The markings included in the Trumpeter kit are based on no evidence and are pure fantasy. 

The oval holes were there to assist the armourers when feeding the guns - the ammunition was visible through them and the holes allowed the armourers to push the ammunition into the feed chute. The feed chutes are parts 85. 85 and 88, step 15 of the instruction sheet. The spent shell/links chutes were parts 83, 84 and 87.

Radu 

Nice discussion here 😀

To be honest I have found that art somewhere on pinterest if i remeber well and I just like it. But didnt noticed that its red 11. My choice is Red 12 from box.

So pls Radu should I keep canon openings as designed or should I blind it?

thanks a lot for advice

jan

Nice discussion here

To be honest I have found that art somewhere on pinterest if i remeber well and I just like it. But didnt noticed that its red 11. My choice is Red 12 from box.

So pls Radu should I keep canon openings as designed or should I blind it?

thanks a lot for advice

jan

It was Fab who mentioned "Red 11". There is no photo of it. 

You do not need to blank anything, what you get in the kit is suitable for all known/photographed Luftwaffe-service 262 night fighters. No change needed to the cannons or cannon openings. 

Radu 

Some well known motivational pics. :)

Thanks Martin for pics!  :)

Looking forward to this project ... how do you find the detail printing on the Eduard PE? I got a set years ago for a 1/48 Skyhawk and the dials looked grainy and pretty horrible. The photos above look a lot better.

Jim

It looks quite ok for me JIM. I think that some gloss varnish should help it. My choice would be rather resin cockpit than PE. But when I consider that will most probably keep canopy closed it should looks good at the end

jan