Revell DH-Sea Venom 1/32

TaffyMan

Taff- the finish work looks great.  Really like the color variation that the salt method introduced and how you managed the effect with a follow-up pass with the airbrush.  Subtle and perfect!   I've always loved this paint scheme too.

Kai

Brian, Peter, Matt Kai and Loic cheers for looking in and posting. It all helps me drive this over the finishing line! Fingers Crossed

Right-e-o Up date - Some Good - Some Bad - Some ugly - Followed with I hope some advice!

First the Good - its time for some gloss ready for stickers. I was going to get masks made, I did the artwork but didn't follow it up because of the expense - need to earn it before you spend it! So this lady will get stickers.

Loaded up my airbrush with my floor polish of choice and gave her a coat. It's great with the tube up the jet pipe so easy to move around and spray. like a giant plastic lolly-pop! This first coat went down great and is the floor polishes want dried very quickly.

077-SeaVenomFAW22_zps9a585f0c.jpg

078-SeaVenomFAW22_zps6897b515.jpg

So I thinking, just to be safe with the gloss I would give here another coat.

The Bad - This coat was going on fine then as it dried started to go dull in patches?

The Ugly - Okay what happened? The second coat of the same gloss I had put on earlier seemed to have gone all patchy with dull bits, semi-gloss bits and - the the real ugly like crystalline effect.

here is a shot of the upper wing - it is far worse to the eye than this shot makes it look!

079-SeaVenomFAW22_zps52f05292.jpg

So I have no idea what is going on here - okay I am new to all this glossing and floor products. But all my other times of using it has been great - no hassle at all and has been pretty much bullet proof.

Okay I will try and rescue it so whilst I was rubbing back what I could, with my fine car finishing cloths, it accured to me where this my be coming from. When you look at the crystal pattern it looks like dried very fine salt! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!  :doh:  So yes I did give her a scrub after, but i forgot that once all the masking was off I was going to give her a real soak. So I think there must be some salt left in the panel lines and crevices……. bugger ……… and I had got the paint just where I wanted it too! Well got to experiment all part of the learning process! :hmmm:

So through what I think is my own c ock-up. Unless you guys know any more? I am back to what I was trying to avoid a large monotone area of Dark Grey! Doh! :doh:

So after some rubbing and a re-spray of the bits I could - really didn't want to re-mask her it was a PIA first time. To reinforce my salt theory the underside is perfect. It has only effected the top Grey  - this is the wing areas after a lightish respray

080-SeaVenomFAW22_zps1a4e4199.jpg

I also went back over her with lots of water and scrubbed and scrubbed with an old tooth brush. Bit late, I think the damage is done - So Warning To Those That Want To Try Salt - Don't Forget WASHY! WASHY! and then do it again more WASHY! WASHY!!

Okay back to it. Stickers - now I have done what I can on the paint. I gave her a coat of MM Gloss this time - As Brain says lovely stuff but it did take quite a few coats to get the gloss to cover but we are there now and ready. Will have to see if I can get some of the rattle cans this side of the pond -  Brian's Bronko looked amazing all glossed up!

I had bought some Xtradecal's for the Fury, before I went all Cuban on her. So thought I would use the roundels from these as I hate trying to line up the red dots as you get in the kit decals!

Love these decals and they went on like a dream. The kit ones on the other hand……. in comparison are quite industrial! Plus the registration on the Red is not good. I did try and find some AM once but had no joy. So enough chatter pics after some hours of fight and Set and Sol got this.....

081-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsefaedf0f.jpg

082-SeaVenomFAW22_zps9e4a6336.jpg

083-SeaVenomFAW22_zps399477e9.jpg

Love that toothy smile looks like the shark from Nemo - “We love fffffiiiiissshhhh!† :D  The top paint doesn't look to bad! Just a bit patchy in places. Have to see what I can hide with the oil's and washes.

I could do with some sage advice - The Xtradecal's are nice and shiny where's the Revel ones have a matt-ish finish to them. Just wondering how to try and blend them in - I'm thinking that you all have had far more experience with Revel decals than me. - Would you go Semi-Gloss finish or a Matt first with a Semi over the top? Any advice welcome.

Just to keep me in the positive vibes, hers a couple with the Sol finished doing its work and the tip tanks pushed on to look see!

You can see how far out the reg is on the red with the text on the nose!!! The don't walk aren't as bad, but looks like a bad attempt at 3D. Have to live with the wings but am tempted to just take off the nose ones - what do you think? leave on or bin them?

085-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsbdb22d98.jpg

086-SeaVenomFAW22_zps4d70fbbb.jpg

So apart from my paint issue starting to look pretty good to my eye. What do you think?

Thanks for looking in and any help or advice would be welcome - Have Fun Taff :D

Guest Peterpools

Taff

What a comeback and safe at the plate. Some mighty fine detective work and deductive reasoning. The Model Master Gloss worked very well and the decals look right on the money.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Looking GOOD Taff,

Can't wait to see her complete with the Streaks on.

The floor polish will definitely react with the salt or dried salt water, you probably could have used the floor polish after

about a 48 hr drying time.  Future(floor polish) will turn cloudy with water if it is not completely cured but will clear up as long as you

STOP trying to "fix" it and let it cure.   I have used Future for a long time and LOVE IT.

watch'in you :mental:

jack

Hey Taff- Looks AWESOME!  

I've encountered a "frost" kind of effect when an enamel coat went over an alcohol/water based wash (way after it was definitely dry) before with disastrous results.  When I first saw the patches in your clear coat, that was the first thing that came to mind.  After reading further though, the residual salt makes sense.  Good to know!

As far as the decals... my gut feel is to generally use as few coats as possible to get the job done.  If it were me, I would be inclined to just go with a shot of semi-gloss first.  I think it would get you pretty close if not back to a uniform sheen.  

The alternative would be to put down a thin, light coat of gloss (thinned just a bit more than usual) and then the semi-gloss, which I think would definitely cinch the deal.   With the recent salt issue, I think I would make this a second choice though.  That's my 2 pence anyway  :)

Hope this helps- keep with the great work!

Kai

It DOES look very nice !

;)

Cheers Loic - Shes a fighter but think I'm getting there

Taff

What a comeback and safe at the plate. Some mighty fine detective work and deductive reasoning. The Model Master Gloss worked very well and the decals look right on the money.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter - not sure about safe but am still in the game - not going to give up the good fight yet! :fight:  And am sure enjoying the big Tiff - looking nice!!!!!! Soon some paint going down the way you are blasting through the build

Looking GOOD Taff,

Can't wait to see her complete with the Streaks on.

The floor polish will definitely react with the salt or dried salt water, you probably could have used the floor polish after

about a 48 hr drying time.  Future(floor polish) will turn cloudy with water if it is not completely cured but will clear up as long as you

STOP trying to "fix" it and let it cure.   I have used Future for a long time and LOVE IT.

watch'in you :mental:

jack

Hi Jack - Yep can smell the finishing line! Just wish she would stop fighting me all the way. I'm also looking forward to puting the rocket boosters on! :piliot:

It wasn't so much the drying time just my old-timers - inability to remember to give her a good wash after the masking was off. So I think that there was some salt crystals stuck in the crevasses and as the polish hit these they dissolved and spread them selves through the surface. Then as it dried, as is salts want, formed smaller crystals all along the surface - lovely!!!!

I also love the floor polish - I find it really easy to use and this is the first issue I've had - but then I think it was of my own doing? I really liked the effect I was getting with the salt experiment and I will use it again…… JUST REMEMBER TO GIVE HER A GOOD BATH AFTERWARDS! :doh:

Hey Taff- Looks AWESOME!  

I've encountered a "frost" kind of effect when an enamel coat went over an alcohol/water based wash (way after it was definitely dry) before with disastrous results.  When I first saw the patches in your clear coat, that was the first thing that came to mind.  After reading further though, the residual salt makes sense.  Good to know!

As far as the decals... my gut feel is to generally use as few coats as possible to get the job done.  If it were me, I would be inclined to just go with a shot of semi-gloss first.  I think it would get you pretty close if not back to a uniform sheen.  

The alternative would be to put down a thin, light coat of gloss (thinned just a bit more than usual) and then the semi-gloss, which I think would definitely cinch the deal.   With the recent salt issue, I think I would make this a second choice though.  That's my 2 pence anyway   :)

Hope this helps- keep with the great work!

Kai

Hi Kai - First up love what you doing with the A10 - She is going to look amazing when she's all finished! :thumbsup:

Yep as I replied to Jack above - only me to blame, just as a reminder of my mother shouting at me when I was a nipper “don't forget to wash yer face!â€

Thanks for the advice on the clear - funnily I came to the same conclusion about just shooting a couple of coats of MM semi - It was enough if your are nose close you can still make out the kit stickers a bit but they seem to have blended down well!

Thanks for all the advice and comments - just need to pull my finger out and do the pics for an update!

So “Latters every-bods†and happy modelling - Taff :D

Cheers Brian - Just been looking at the Bronco :wow: can't add any more to that - and can't wait for the next one. Oh and don't forget the Walrus still need her all finished and ship-shape :DodgeBall:

okely dokely - moved her on to the next stage - apply some grime

Got my pallet ready. Also have my sacrifice on the alter!

087-SeaVenomFAW22_zpszswpppwn.jpg

I am always nervous at this stage. So I tend to do an area fist - to get me back in the swing. This usually involves the bottom in someway.

088-SeaVenomFAW22_zpspibvqeoa.jpg

This is after the first layer of light colours have been applied and wiped off. I do love that big shark grin!  :D

So happy with this I then went on and dotted the rest of her belly. I know it looks like random splats - but I am trying to think where the dirt would be (more browns and greys) and which parts would be cleaner…… honest :innocent:

089-SeaVenomFAW22_zpst4auaixw.jpg

After the first part of smear and blend. I do clean the brush regularly on a slightly Turps dampend clean bit of kitchen towel. All part of removing as much of the oil paint before the big smear.

090-SeaVenomFAW22_zps5iaawdzf.jpg

This shows up a bit clearer my thoughts on which bits would be dirtier! Always makes me nervous how many weeks work to splat paint muck all over her.

So next up lots of kitchen towel - once again ever so slightly damp with Turps. After lots of gentle wiping off the light colours are done.

091-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsjupwzeeo.jpg

I gave here a days rest then it was out with the dark colours. Usually I follow lines and stuff - but as there aren't many on her just made it up!

092-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsqni7rbzs.jpg

With the dark paint I am usually a bit more careful with the smear and wipe. The brush has a bit more Turps on it but is cleaned off more often. Then a wipe with the airflow with kitchen towel till i'm happy with what is left,

Pic of one wing done - just the rest to do

093-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsycyqkfp2.jpg

All done - might come back to add a bit more detail in areas but other wise time to give it a day or so to R&R then the top

094-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsecqbbxba.jpg

Okay folks back in a mo with part two

Taff :D

Back again - The top

And once again she starts to fight me :fight:  The top has been a real PIA on this one. This time the MM varnish started to bubble a bit with my Artists Turps! First time this has happened to me - all I can think is perhaps there is still very fine salt crystals caught in the varnish layers? As I am wiping back they break through the seal and allow the Turps to get underneath all very frustrating! So she will be a lot dirtier than I intended as I am really not keen to push my luck so I have left far more paint on than I was intending.

Enough - pictures and the story! :hmmm:

095-SeaVenomFAW22_zpswjh6lvjk.jpg

My same theory for dirt colours and cleaner colours

Then smear and blend with chisel brush - things still going fine at this stage!

096-SeaVenomFAW22_zps5j2j6hqf.jpg

Started to do the clean off - still seems okay

097-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsep9aoayb.jpg

All the light colours gone - I noticed that one of the red stripes on the trailing wing edge has started to disintegrate - hmmmm

098-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsvfoycwm8.jpg

Okay lost my pic of the dark colours going on and as I was taking the colours off that I noticed the wing surfaces starting to look a bit patchy so I have cleaned of what I could and quit whilst I was ahead!

Still keeping those posative vibes - but I am loosing a bit of the interest in this one........ BUT I WILL FINISH HER....... I don't have room for a S.O.D so it will get done to some end!

The worst bit was on the wing where the decal just started to disintegrate - I nearly masked these little bits of for painting - wish I had now.

Masked up

099-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsg9a1mrjh.jpg

after spray retouch

100-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsfp7tt10g.jpg

I have given her a couple of sprays of the MM semi this seems to have stabilised the surfaces and looks reasonably uniformed now so I will leave it at that. not what I intended but didn't want to push my luck.

Okay now that is done and sealed I can take the canopy masking off - nearly forgot how the twins looked.

Couple of shots of where I am - a lot more dirty than I intended but okay-isn! God that is a tight cockpit! :mental:

101-SeaVenomFAW22_zpscyduidxv.jpg

102-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsltllp8wq.jpg

103-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsobjr5s8x.jpg

Okay - onward next will be putting all the bits on that hang off of her - then just need to find a block of wood to make the mount from?

Till next time have fun - Taff :D    

• 2 weeks later...

Love it!  I think in this case the extra dirt looks fine Taff.   Cant wait to see her finished and mounted!

Brain - Cheers for looking in - still more muck than I intended but i'm okay-ish with it! It's just where I've cobbled it together on the top paint is a bit thicker and rougher than the smooth finish I had. But over all quite pleased to how she turned out. I have learnt loads especially must remember to wash off all the salt!!!! Then to make sure wash her again!!!!! :hmmm:

:wow:

Looks GREAT Taff.  You're in the homestretch buddy.

Nicely done!

Kai

Hi Taff,

Looking GOOD Sir!

Love the in-flight stuff

Can't wait to see her finished

watch'n you  :goodjob:

jack

Hi Kia and Jack - yep homestretch…….. and then he crosses the finishing line…… Cool! All very Whacky Races.