Revell P-51B Mustang III

CANicoll

From the beginning this was intended to be a no-stress, fun build - and it was!  Here is my $12 Revell Mustang III, ill fitting bits and all.  I had a lot of fun building it, not stressing over the many ill fitting panels, and while it is barely even worthy of display anywhere, especially given the level of expertise on this site, here we are!   :popcorn:

DSC_0004_zps1sjc58kx.jpg

Honest to goodness I bought it for $12.  Cost me more to buy the paints for it!

DSC_0001_zpsgodk7lje.jpg

I will probably go back and paint the yellow leading edge band at some point.  :oops:

I had great fun with the decals, working them down over the VERY prominent rivets.  In real life, I wonder if the thing even would have flown with all the air resistance!

DSC_0002_zpsk9kga4kv.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsknpqabkq.jpg

Those of you with eagle eyes will notice the two different sizes of 'G' on the fuselage.  Yeah, well.... I had a devil of a time with the first G, it kept folding in strange ways.  I thought I'd be smart and try a different way to get the other G on, and completely botched it.  Oh well.  And you will notice one elevator is mostly gray, while the other is camo.  Yeah, my bad again.  Painted one of them upside down (off the plane).  Like I said, no stress!   :hmmm:

DSC_0007_zpsnspwrtfr.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsuziwx5sm.jpg

And I was getting ready to go all crazy detailing the wheel wells, till I noticed Revell doesn't provide any linkage to pose the doors open.  Which is screwy considering how much detail they mold into the wheel well itself. Sooo.. got some Blue Tack and positioned the doors coming open (or closed depending on your perspective).  I like that actually.

DSC_0008_zpslkrizrda.jpg

I may go back later and do some weathering, oil stains, etc.  We'll see.  I'm already have way through a 1/72 Helldiver that was given to me so talk about a shock of scale!

Thanks for looking and for all the nice comments here and on my other builds.  It's fun!

Edited by CANicoll

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated!  It was fun to put together without all the fiddly bits as they say, and I was able to try some new paints (Vallejo) as well as masking and primer so that was helpful.  I really like the Model Air line and I've not had to thin it so its literally straight out of the dropper.  I'm looking forward to trying their metallics next.

Alan - since you asked!  :hmmm: I ordered another Tamiya P-51D Mustang, the Barracuda cockpit resin (but no IP, they were out, may reorder), the Barracuda cockpit stencils, the HGW wet transfer stencils (still have to order the HGW seatbelts) and a set of EagleCal decals for Duchess Arlene in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen.

But I want to finally finish that horrendous KH P-39 and after this I'll promise not to say anything about it again, best as I can. :BANGHEAD2:  

I do have the Revell Mossie from last years gift exchange to do too, but watching what Petertools is doing with his amazing Mossie, OMG - I need some distance till I try that!.  And am just about to put paint on a 1/72 Helldiver that was given to me and has also been a joy to build.  But so tiny!!

Thanks for all the support, this is a great site and very happy to have connected with you fine gentlemen.  

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Terrific Mustang and this just goes to show what the hobby is all about: Fun. enjoyments and relaxation

So very nicely done and the cammo is so sweet!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter