B-17G 'A Bit O' Lace'

Iain

Thanks Geoff - too kind - just some basic modelling and research - I love it when everyone chips in with constructive help - what the forums are all about! :thumbsup:

Hi Martin - I'd be really chuffed if it did help a little with inspiration - that's the main reason I post, and what I get from others' builds around these parts!

It really is a great kit in my humble opinion - go for it!

But we want photos - OK?  :)

Still catching up after Telford but hoping to pick her up again in the next week, or so. On a downhill run now - and with no deadline I can take my time/have some fun with the finish and weathering - which is what this build will be all about (hopefully!)

Have fun everyone - and thanks for looking in!

Iain

Slightly off topic - I was surprised to see "Dept 403" on the box in the that photo written in a French font called "Charrette". Without going into too much needless detail, it's a common font in France (being a very early example of the Letraset concept) and you can still see registration numbers on French AFVs in the same font today, but curiously from time to time they pop in WW2 German usage as well. The most common example I can think of is Panther Gs assembled by Maschinenfabrik Augsburg Nürnberg (MAN) from the latter half of 1944 on which had the hull numbers stenciled on the glacis plate in this font:

121290_zps6oypgmvv.jpg

(Photo from Panther: External Appearances and Design Changes by MacDougall & Block)

I'm curious as to how this font made its way to America, or if it was even in common usage in the US. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Darren

Edited by The1971Show

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK - time to pick this one up again.

I have the stunning new Norden Bombsight from Robert Mrozowski (to be publish shortly as an LSP review) and picked up a new magazine in WH Smiths today (Combat Machines No.01 - B-17G Flying Fortress) which has the best photo of the early waist window glazings that I've seen - so have enough info now to finish patterns for vaccing them for 'Bit O'Lace'.

b501large.jpg

So feeling inspired - I *may* even do a little 'oil canning' on the airframe  :)

Iain

• 2 months later...

'I'm curious as to how this font made its way to America,

Long time in answering, my apologies.  Type fonts can be designed for anyone, can be purchased by anyone, and can be sold by anyone, so there are no borders for a type font.  

'or if it was even in common usage in the US. Can anyone shed more light on this?'

This font is an ideal stencil font because of the breaks between strokes.  I can't say if this typeface is in common usage in the US today, but certainly stencil typefaces are.  If I ventured a guess, I would say Helvetica or a form of Helvetiva is the most common.

Sincerely,

Mark