F-16A & F-16C Aggressor Double Build - The Double is Done!

Marcel111

Guys, really appreciate the enthusiasm!

Jari, thx for the links... I was going to do "55" but may change gears to "61" instead.

Chuck, yeah, there will be some serious weathering going down. But I will be following a more "natural" path, i.e. start with a much lighter faded shade and then apply the unbleached shades and touch-ups as seen on the pics.

Harold, you'll be seeing some of your pods here :-)

Bryan, I will do a post which details the masking specs I have come up with for this, the Masks will be sourced from Maketar.

Vandy, Two Bobs did do a sheet but it is impossible to come by. Microscale covered the F-16N's.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel, try contacting Steve Stohr who owns North American hobbies - www.nahobbies.com - also on Facebook.  He had a brand new set of the TwoBobs NSAWC F-16A/B decal sheet of which I bought from him, he may have more.

Kirk

Vandy, I am doing the F-16A (later on the F-16B) as currently in use by the NSAWC (ex Pakistani embargoed airframes). The F-16N (which use the chin pods) were retired a while ago, may do one of those in future.

Finn, thx for the pics, there are also some great ones on Airliners.net. I think I will be doing "55".

Here are the masking specs I used, I already received the masks from Maketar, very efficient service considering they are custom made.

P1512V.png

Here is the custom decals sheet that is on the way to me.

sc8xRB.png

The smaller tail "55"s will be appriately oversprayed so that they will appear as light blue or dark blue.

The smaller number combinations are for the numbers on the pylons, the "CATM ONLY" markings will be on the practice Aim-9.

I tend to usually show only pretty pics but things oftentimes get really ugly before they get good. Case in point is the fit of the BB cockpit to the F-16C fuselarge. Note the huge gap at the front. I have that pretty much under control now but it is still painful to do this to such a great kit.

25d8ae03-c9b3-49e4-8f9b-b6fbac528f00_zps

Here is how the IP looked before glueing it in (under strong magnification here). I made extensive use of Airscale decals and punched out clear parts for the instruments, looks better than just using Kristal Clear. CRT screens are from old photographic film.

DSC_0179_zpsrn925v2p.jpg

DSC_0178_zpsfsw6p2eb.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Marcel, try contacting Steve Stohr who owns North American hobbies - www.nahobbies.com - also on Facebook. He had a brand new set of the TwoBobs NSAWC F-16A/B decal sheet of which I bought from him, he may have more.

Kirk

Kirk, I sent an email but no response so far. Would really be helpful to get that sheet.

So the BB pit looks a little small but is actually about the size of the Tamiya pit, specifically the IP and coaming are sized about the same. That then means the TD cockpit is oversized. At this point I am really not sure.

The BB fit, at last in my hands, really isnt great.

Edited by Marcel111

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note that there is another re-scope on this project, for the Block 30 I will be doing the new Alaska splinter scheme... I am just going to assume decals will be forthcoming.

pNtsvU.jpg

After spending a bunch of time fitting the True Details A tub and coaming into the Tamiya kit, I ripped out the IP/coaming since the True Details interpretation of the instrument coaming is just hugely oversized. I then ended up fitting almost all of the True Details "A" IP into the Aires instrument coaming. It actually worked out pretty well. However, I have struggled getting the Aires coaming into the large front cockpit gap that was left when I tore out the True Details parts. At some point the whole thing fell to the floor and everything broke out, so I had to kind of start from scratch. I am finally making progress, hope to show some victorious pics when that is all safe and sound.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS I have moved to imageshak, photobucket sux. 

Guest Peterpools

HI Marcel

Just catching up and looking forward to following your progress.

Gad your photos are back up and you're off PB

Keep 'em coming

Peter