A-1 H/J skyraider (Trumpeter) in USAF colors

Loic

Hi guys,

I have been away from GB for too long now and considering my other projects are well underway, I decided to join the party :punk:

So I'll start from the trumpeter kit (odered a few days earlier and still waiting for delivery) and hope for the best.

I know very little (at least compared to other subjects) about the skyraider and the area as I am more a WWII guys if I can say so ... so any help will be welcome ;)

Lets wait for the kit to arrive now !

Edit:  kit box pic :)

DSC03481_zps17a52cdd.jpg

Edited by Loic

Thanks a lot ;)

I want to go for an easy build, almost OOB.... well, OK, I always say that at start :shrug:

Wwe 'll see what we get in the box and decide then :hmmm:  

Alrighty Loic!   I am very glad you came to join us!  :m0152:

I added your project to the who's building what list and I entered it as an A-1H/J ( the AD-6 designation was changed to A-1) When you figure out what serial number you want to build we can change the listing to an A-1H or J in the list.  :)  I just KNOW your build is going to be incredible and I'll watch with great interest.  :)

All the best,

Paul 

Loic,

Something tells me we are all in for a treat. I love watching your work!  If I had to guess, I'd say the hardest part of this project for you will be trying NOT to rebuild the whole model  :) Of course if you do, then we will all be able to benefit when you send the corrected/improved parts to Gray Matter for casting, BUT,  The down side is you wont get anything done for your own enjoyment. I hope you chose to just have FUN with this one, do it for YOU not us for a change, you've already done a lot for the hobby and those of us lucky enough to buy what you've made. My wish for you  with this build is to know you have a  huge smile on your face and are feeling no pressure to "produce" and just enjoy creating. I know I will be glued to the thread watching you have fun my friend.

Paul  

Paul,

I changed the the tittle from AD-6 to A-1 H/J   ;)

I have also done some researches and I found this "THE PROUD AMERICAN" bird that I look quite appealing with its black belly so will almost certainly be either "MIDNIGHT COWBOY" (white belly) or "THE PROUD AMERICAN" (black belly).

The black belly is more unusual for these birds so I think it looks cool and it makes me think about the WWII british night bomber and I like that.

What ever the choice, I will need a way to sort out the decals/markings as I do not think either is available on the market so far :shrug:

Edited by Loic

Paul,

be sure I ONLY build for pleasure and no other purpose  ;)

Even when I work on a master pattern like the one for the corsair, it is for my own pleasure.

I offer GMF my masters and ask for nothing in return ... if there was any sort of "payback" (money or else), then, it would be a job and I already have one that keeps me fairly busy 5 days a week, I do not need a second one :)

This said, you know me rather well as I do not even have the kit yet but I have mentaly started to consider some "upgrades"  :mental:

I'll see what the kit looks like and decide what to do :innocent:

Loic, the Tail Codes can be made from the Zotz decal sheet and I have extras to help you when you decide on a particular plane. The Proud American art shouldn't be that hard to do and I have a great source to have masks done when you are ready. He's fast and VERY good at the artwork and very reasonable on his prices.

The AD-4N that has been restored to look like the original Proud American is actually a two seat night attack aircraft ( former French Air Force)  so don't copy the real one when you do your build.  :) The actual Proud American was an A-1H and had white lettering and an eagle on the cowl. She had a light gray belly and white Tail code TC with a black serial number.

to738_zps6f883f46.jpg[/url

I'm still searching for pics of the real Midnight Cowboy for you.  I know the Tail code was TC and serial was AF 35257 and cutting edge did a decal sheet in 48th and 72nd that can be used for reference for custom artwork for the nose. CED72096_zps79e41711.jpg

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Thanks a lot for your help Paul, it certainly is handy to have someone with knowledge in the team ;)

On the one side, I am a bit disappointed that this Proud American has no black belly (all the pics I found must be retaured AC) but on the other side, I like this pic above and I like the eagle nose art on the cowling so that is going to be my choice if I can work it out.

If you have a "plan" to get custom decals, please let me know mate.

Last thing for today, all I have about midnight cowboy is an article/a story told by its pilot and an artwork so I am not sure there is any pic available in fact.

Thanks again for all the help my friend ;)

Thanks a lot for your help Paul, it certainly is handy to have someone with knowledge in the team ;)

On the one side, I am a bit disappointed that this Proud American has no black belly (all the pics I found must be retaured AC) but on the other side, I like this pic above and I like the eagle nose art on the cowling so that is going to be my choice if I can work it out.

If you have a "plan" to get custom decals, please let me know mate.

Last thing for today, all I have about midnight cowboy is an article/a story told by its pilot and an artwork so I am not sure there is any pic available in fact.

Thanks again for all the help my friend ;)

A N Y T H I N G   I can do to help Loic, just ask.  :)

Paul

Thanks my friend ;)

I made my mind and will go for... none of the expected AC :mental:

Thanks to Paul who helped me (a lot) seing the light in the dark age of skyraider complexity :lol: I will go for "bubble n bust".

It seams to have all I was looking for: black belly over SEA camo, great history, great pilot... and an "available on the market" decal sheet which is the cherry on the cake really.

Last but not least, my kit was shipped today and should arrive in a few days B)

Looking forward to stop talking and start building here :D

Hi guys !

Spad has landed home today while I am still gently (ok, slowly...) catching up with the on-going builds of the GB... and not only there are a lot of entries, the quality is pretty amazing ! Some great work all around the place!

I hope I'll start working soon but by the time I must say that for someone who knows next to nothing about skyraider, the Trumpeter kit looks nice so far (it is still in the box ;) ).

I am getting excited as this one has some instructions and it has been at least 6 or 7 years since I last built a model that includes instruction sheet :rofl:

Coming back soon hopefully !