1/48 Tamiya DO-335A w Kettenkraftrad

CANicoll

Minor update:  Worked on the leading edge seams - seems that I had not gotten everything quite glued together originally - so once those were closed up worked on the seam and then re-sprayed the bottom edge with the Luftwaffe light blue - ditto for the nose where I decided that the paint was just too faded and almost could not call out the color.  And I had completely missed spraying the sides of the scoop under the fuselage so touched that up as well.

Trying something different on the props, using the Vallejo Gloss Black primer on them instead of paint : this morning they don't look too bad on first blush.  The finish is very smooth, but we'll see once I really take a look.

Once the light blue has a couple of days to dry I'll start the masking for the splinter camo pattern - light green followed by the dark green.

Stay tuned!  My goal is to have this finished before the end of the month.

Chris

Put down the camo last night and today and pretty happy with it.  Two small (and easy to fix) areas to deal with which is not bad considering the tape job.  One was just me being careless with the edge of tape, and the other the tape pulled away and I didn't catch it.

There seemed to be an issue with the Vallejo colors.  The lighter green is Vallejo 'Green' RLM 62 and the darker is supposed to be RLM 82 which is 'Light Green' but it is a bit darker than RLM 62.  When sprayed there was not the color difference that was needed.  So I did a custom mix adding about 15% RLM 70, Black Green to RLM 82 to get what you see here.  Pretty happy with the results:

Here is the masking:

MBMnIK.jpg

RjANoy.jpg

9fUhCB.jpg

Did seem to take forever go to get it all masked.   

And the after!

YirVL2.jpg

sevqDs.jpg

HKCxah.jpg

The lighter green shows some ok shading, but the darker green is not quite as faded as I kind of over did it with the lighter green.  Oh well.  But the colors look good to me!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Thanks Gaz!  Got the landing gear and the main gear doors on pretty easily.  The nose gear doors go on with PE hinges and I'm going to save them for near last as I'm sure to knock them off.

JSk3Ld.jpg

fjcJhc.jpg

The main gear linkage and door linkage looks complex, but the kit makes it pretty easy to get it all together.

ugj9kb.jpg

Nose gear linkage came up just a little bit short...  The rectangle bit on the bottom of the wing is the fender for the front wheel.

yWORSh.jpg

3QZeiC.jpg

And all 3 together

kVy1Ed.jpg

And finally, sitting for the first time on her legs!!

WebBfa.jpg

lltAEI.jpg

mPjo2W.jpg

Got a clear coat on her now, busy tomorrow and Tuesday so that gives everything a lot of time to set and cure.  For the weekend, looking to get the decals on, then a gloss coat to lock them in, and then finish with a satin coat.  

Then, unmask the canopy and open it up to the side.

Chris

Adding the rest of the stencils and the very strange decals around the exhausts.  Amazingly they fit pretty well, but am working hard to get everything laid down completely.  Lots of MicroSol and some judicious decal slicing on panel lines is helping.  Will take a few more tries I think, but then a clear coat to seal everything in.  The stencils are having a tendency to silver so working on those.

Upon close inspection, I got that two line white text stencil UP SIDE DOWN.  FRIG!  Tried to pull it up and reposition but it was too late.  The good thing is it took my magnifying mirror to catch it, but CRAP!   :BANGHEAD2:   Oh well...  Have to do some touch-up on the white as well around the exhaust (on both sides actually).

3jfBhZ.jpg

A view of the trim stencils, which are on every trim tab (top and bottom).  Overall, nothing like the stencils on the US aircraft.

NZXCEX.jpg

Plan for tomorrow is to finish the propellers (meaning spraying the hubs silver and then then nose cannon gun metal) and get the props ready to attach.

Oh, and I'm re-positioning the front wheel fender as well.  Moving it down just a smidgen.  

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Are these the OOB Tamiya decals? If so you're doing the best job you can with those things. I've always known Tamiya decals to be very thick and difficult to work with. Looks like you're wuppin' her into shape though.

They are actually, and thank you!  I finally started trimming the stencil decals very closely as there was a lot of clear film left over that didn't need to be there.  Amazing how much you forget as I've not built a Tamiya kit in maybe a year?  Lots of Eduard and Academy and 1/28 scale.  I need a notebook I think!

Chris

Thanks Gaz, I'm trying! 

My 'technique' if I have one is this:  over flat surfaces I put down a bit of MicroSet then the decal, squeeze out any air with a damp paper towel, then more MicroSet.  If I see any silvering, I'll try the MicroSet again, or go right to MicroSol.  

Over panel lines and such, I'll do the MicroSol route instead of MicroSet.  So far it has taken 3-4 times with the MicroSol to get the decals to lay down around the exhaust properly.  And most of the stencils had some bit of silvering so have been doing the MicroSol treatment on them.  I forgot I have one spot to touch up on the camo on the nose, as well as the radiator surround but should be able to get to clear coat tonight.  I hope!

For Eduard decals, I find that one application of MicroSet works amazingly well - too well actually as the decal seems to want to set down immediately so very little time to maneuver.  Same with EagleCal - reacts very quickly but both set down so beautifully.   I don't use MicroSol on either Eduard or EagleCal as it has not been necessary as of yet.

Stay tuned!

Chris