1/48 SWS F-4J - VMFA-232 "Red Devils" 1972

DirkE

Guest Peterpools

Dirk

Super work on the Big P&W - just love the finish and looks, as well as your continued progress on the F4

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

The below thread (robbed from Hyperscale because I can't link to the article, only the damn forum) explains the issue pretty well, both verbally and visually.  It's kind of hard to miss it once you know what you're looking for/at.  I don't do 1/48 much at all but this wouldn't stop me from buying the kit. Hip lines issue of the ZKM F-4J January 1 2017 at 10:39 AM

Jun Oizumi

HyperScale Forums

Happy New Year all Hyperscalers.

Nobody here seems have noticed that aft fuselage sections of the ZKM F-4J are totally different from the real Phantom.

The line between the spine and shoulder reaches F.S. 359.66, but from this point a V-shape shoulder line is getting smoother into a U-shape cross section.

However, the shoulder line on the ZKM F-4J continues further aft beyond F.S.447.05 at the trailing edge of the flap. The thrust line of the Phantom's J-79 slants 5.25 degrees downward, but ZKM might not take it in account and shaped the rear sections uniformly to accommodate the engine parts.

I wish ZKM will fix this issue at their earliest convenience as it is almost impossible for ordinary modelers to correct.

Jun in Tokyo

Yep, sorry to see that Z-M bungled that so bad.

So after all that, ZM actually *did* bungle it (as I realized when I first saw it).  Wonder if they'll fix it?  Takom totally re-tooled the entire lower hull and road wheels on their 1/35 T-54B after it was pointed out to them that they'd done them wrong.

Jun isn't ZM.

Since I want one engine displayed outside, I needed an extra nozzle. I got me the ones for the F-4J Academy from Eduard #648254. They are a bit 1.5mm smaller in diameter than the ZM ones. But nicer details. They fit well into the fuselage. But I think Eduard will deliver new ones for the ZM kit. I just needed to get rid of the engine I already glued in.

The rear gear wells are not so well detailed. But honestly...in this case I was too lazy to do further "plumbing" and just let them as they are.

16711987_10210317811774509_5591784893848

IMG_7632_zps28xk6zey.jpg

Here the two nozzles. Left ZM, right Eduard. You see, they are a bit smaller in diameter. But once at the model, you will hardly see the difference. The length is ok, since the ZM nozzels go farther into the fuselage.

IMG_7639_zpseixxonjy.jpg

IMG_7624_zpsit3zu38j.jpg

IMG_7625_zps9ktmyltk.jpg

Now regarding the flanks we know that there is something wrong. Ok

But now I wanted to attach the outer wings. The angle upwards should be 12 degrees. But I have around 20+ degrees when I want it to fit seamlessly to the main wing.

IMG_7868_zps45nqgizi.jpg

IMG_7873_zps8h5nt8re.jpg

here if I attach it without a gap

IMG_7875_zpsndfoawsx.jpg

Dirk

Edited by DirkE