Tamiya Spitfire XVI- TD248

BloorwestSiR

Time for some progress. I assembled the engine into several subassemblies and got them ready for paint.

IMG_20170102_220826.jpg

I did a quick test fit of everything and it went together fine.

IMG_20170102_231016.jpg

I then painted the engine red(!?).

IMG_20170102_233603.jpg

Steve (Fightersweep) mentioned that the engine on TD248 had been painted red. This naturally changed the build as I decided it would be great to see a red Merlin. So I'll be leaving the cowlings loose and not gluing them in place add I originally planned.

Looking good in red! Will just need a slight sheen as the block etc was quite glossy. It's going to be stunning looking Merlin when finished!  :thumbsup:

One other quick thing came to mind this morning. TD248 was fitted with a crow bar on the cockpit door, and that was painted red too! Can't believe it was over 20 years ago!

Best regards;

Steve

Neat........Really like the idea of a red Merlin!       That is what I like about this GB................such a vast array of stuff we normally do NOT see. 

Just like me working with bright blue and red seat-belts and such for my GB entry.    \

Looking forward to more! 

Looking good in red! Will just need a slight sheen as the block etc was quite glossy. It's going to be stunning looking Merlin when finished! :thumbsup:

One other quick thing came to mind this morning. TD248 was fitted with a crow bar on the cockpit door, and that was painted red too! Can't believe it was over 20 years ago!

Best regards;

Steve

Thanks Steve! I figured it was probably gloss red but I find flat red easier to paint. I'll do a clear coat to get it glossy.

Carl

Neat........Really like the idea of a red Merlin! That is what I like about this GB................such a vast array of stuff we normally do NOT see.

Just like me working with bright blue and red seat-belts and such for my GB entry. \

Looking forward to more!

Thanks Brian! It's definitely not the usual paint scheme for a Merlin. Gives it a hot rod asthetic especially after I add the chrome covers to it.

Carl

Thanks Brian! It's definitely not the usual paint scheme for a Merlin. Gives it a hot rod asthetic especially after I add the chrome covers to it.

Carl

Chrome valve covers is what I thought too when I saw that bright red.  Should look terrific

Thanks everyone!

I got a bit more done. I gave the engine a wash using thinned Hull Red and then a clear gloss coat.

IMG_20170103_155332.jpg

IMG_20170103_213741.jpg

I then painted the rocker covers. The first pair I did in Alclad Chrome over bare plastic.

IMG_20170102_234331.jpg

I then found a set of the Rolls Royce name plates so I added them to a second pair.

IMG_20170103_215730.jpg

I then did a primer coat of gloss black followed by the Chrome. Comparing them, the black base coat did make a difference.

IMG_20170103_223040.jpg

I also did the coolant tank as well.

That looksfabulous Carl. The wash and gloss coat give just the right appearance in my eyes. Subtkle and realistic. Good job.

Those chromed components are going to look superb against the red, especially with other pipes, wires, hoses and ancilliaries added to splash other colours around.

I'll say it again, what a great choice.

Cheers.

Red and Chrome..   :wow:   :wub:

it WILL be the Harley Davidson  of the Skies .

:yahoo:

No. Oh hell no. 

We're talking about sleek, beautiful machines that go fast, handle like a dream and sound fantastic....the anti-thesis of a Harley!

I can't think of a H-D of the sky, maybe a Short Skyvan? Thats ugly, slow and loud, handles like a shed with wings...so yeah...Or maybe a TBD Devastator?

:D