Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Hello everyone,

This is my first time to post a build on here and I'm a little ways into my build already but I thought why not share my progress and gather some others' input for future builds. I'm making the 1/32 Tamiya P-51D pretty much OOB. I do plan to use some OOP Pyn-up decals I have. I can't decide which one I want to do first though, I'm torn between Passion Wagon and Moon Mullins' P-51D. Both of these birds are early production P-51s with a filletless tail. Before I post pictures of my decals can someone please tell me if it's allowed to post nude pin-ups that were nose art?

I'll add pictures as soon as I figure out how that works and I get an answer to my question.

Cheers,
Brady

Edited by MustangManiac

Welcome to your first build thread Brady! I think posting nude nose art should be OK in the context of your build thread. Check out our tutorial on how to post images here using Photobucket, written by a Photobucket staff member:

Posting Your Images from Photobucket

Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Brady

Welcome aboard and looking forward to another wonderful Mustang build. :post1:

As far as the " nude pin-ups that were nose art", it shouldn't be a problem as they were on the aircraft. Looking forward to the start of your build thread.

Keep 'em coming

{eter

OK, I'm confused now, I've been told by two different staff members of the website two different answers so I'm really not sure if I will be able to post photos or not, even though we are only talking about decals here..... It seems a little weird to me when usually Pin-up types of decals sell out first. Anyway if you want to see the sets of decals look here at a review of each set outside this website on another modeling website: 

Moon Mullins:

http://www.arcair.com/Rev2/1401-1500/rev1413-PYND32003/00.shtm

Passion Wagon:

http://www.arcair.com/Rev2/1501-1600/rev1540-PYND32004/00.shtm

These are just a review page but I have both sets and intend to eventually build both of them, I'm just not sure which I want to build first. I'm somewhat leaning toward building Moon Mullins' bird because I've already done Passion Wagon in 1/48 scale.

Look at the reviews if you desire to, it also saves me time from taking pictures and uploading them by just giving you a link.

Cheers,

Brady

OK, I'm confused now, I've been told by two different staff members of the website two different answers so I'm really not sure if I will be able to post photos or not [...]

I suspect you might have misread Ron's post Brady. He's saying the same thing I am: that it's OK to post images of the Pyn-Up decals.

Kev

IMG_20140415_115428_835_zps9884a789.jpg

IMG_20140415_115212_694_zps176c91f3.jpg

IMG_20140415_115149_005_zps1cc369b6.jpg

IMG_20140415_115139_718_zps1d934408.jpg

IMG_20140415_115307_517_zps2cdfc727.jpg

Here's some updated pictures, I haven't had lots of time to work on my P-51 this week but I've made a little progress, slowly but surely. I'm thinking about using this upgrade set for the cockpit floor and seat. Does anyone have experience using this set? I'm not feeling a lot of faith in myself on all the necessary bending needed for the tiny parts of the belts, but we'll see how it goes. There is one thing I don't like about the decal for the floor and that's they made it wood where there's a part that extrudes up and under the seat requiring mor cutting. Please tell me how these work if you have experience with them, enjoy the pictures!

Brady

Brady

The floor of all Mustangs is black, not wood in natural finish...no exceptions. What's sticking out of the floor? The only thing that should be sticking out of the floor is the stick. If you're talking about the Detrola box, that shouldn't be installed in ETO Mustangs.

HTH...Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The part I'm talking about is visible in both of my pictures of the cockpit, it's right there behind that circular indentation on the left side of the floor and kinda tucks under the seat after it's installed. In the one picture looking a little more in the downwards direction, it appears a little triangular. It's actually molded as part of the floor by Tamiya. I just hadn't had time to paint it black yet.

I thought that the cockpit sidewalls and floors were not painted black in the P-51 until they were redesignated F-51s and sent to Korea for the Korean War. So they were even black on the floor in WWII? If so, that means even Master modeler Brett Green got it wrong on his build for the book he published for this very kit.

Cheers,

Brady