Tamiya P-51D Mustang Finished 9/26/13

Daywalker

Hi Frank!

I think this is a fantastic start! :goodjob:

The office is looking very nice indeed, lovely details and finish. I have just started the Dragon 1/32 Mustang, oh how I wish I was working on the Tamiya kit right now! LOL!

Thanks much Darren, appreciate you lookin' in here! Just think- after you finish that Dragon kit, the Tamiya one will be THAT much easier to do!

Not bad Frank! Looks good. Nice weathering.

Thanks John!

Ha! Ha! No arguement there from me Frank! That Dragon should come with a hazzard warning! I am so glad you are doing this build so that your work will give me the inspiration to carry on!

I can't wait to get to that Tamiya kit now! :D

Ha! Ha! No arguement there from me Frank! That Dragon should come with a hazzard warning! I am so glad you are doing this build so that your work will give me the inspiration to carry on!

I can't wait to get to that Tamiya kit now! :D

LOL, after looking at the Dragon cockpit parts compared to the Tamiya equivalents, it's difficult to believe they represent the same parts!

Hi Frank

I finally got those decals in the mail for you. Have you decided for a scheme for this bird yet ?

Cheers

Mikkel

Cheers Mikkel, thank you so much! I had decided on a blue-nose aircraft this time, but honestly had considered changed my mind to the "Fighting Lady" until I realized that the cockpit would be be very different. But, the Lady will most certainly be the next P-51D I build!

Absolutely love your cockpit work, Frank.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate that! I was a bit concerned at first about the base color, but I like it now that the washes and weathering have dulled it back down a bit.

Excellent work on that cockpit - love it !

Many thanks Thomas, and thank you for looking in!

Another update, and making progress!

I finished up the radiator assembly today, and installed it into the fuselage. Now, with that ready, I was able to close up the two halves. With minimal fuss, everything lined up perfectly (pretty much expected from this kit).

002-1.jpg

In the radiator exhaust area, there were a couple of ejector pin marks which needed to be filled and sanded as these would be visible on the finished model.

003-1.jpg

Some of the sub assemblies in the radiator area use sandwiches of plastic parts, PE inserts, and small linkages with metal pins. They look a bit complicated in the manual, but if you take your time they go together with minimal fuss. I annealed the PE parts before attempting to bend them to fit the slightly curved plastic bits, and this helped them to conform. I also gave them a good sanding to roughen up the surface to better accept the Alclad paint. In the end, they look like one piece.

005-1.jpg

I also masked and painted the armored glass in front of the gunsight. This was a bit tedious, and I wish Tamiya had provided a mask for it on their printed masking sheet. The framework is very delicate, and masking entailed thin strips of Tamiya tape and punched out disks of tape for the radius ed corners. I also tried something different with the gunsight, instead of simply painting it it's final metallic black finish, I first cleaned it up and then masked off the lens. I then gave it a coat of Alclad aluminum, and then the black. This was followed up with a drybrushing of silver and raw umber, and then the lens mask was removed. Done this way, if you look down through the lens it looks like a metallic box with reflective properties inside. I think it turned out well, though the effect is difficult to capture with the camera.

004-1.jpg

Moving on to the main gear bays, I dry fit all of the gear bay ribs into place. Each of these ribs has multiple ejector pin marks on them, so all of these were sanded out. MUCH better!

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

I plan to try something a bit different with this build. I am going to model the aircraft with the clam shell doors closed. I cut the provided main gear bay insert for displaying the aircraft in flight on it's stand into three pieces, saving the center piece as this will be glued into position instead of the separate part assemblies. The wall dividing the gear bays will be fabricated from a piece of styrene sheet, as it will be mostly invisible. I will save the kit provided one for future builds in case I need them as spare parts. Next up is a bit of wiring, then painting the gear bays. On this build, I am going them natural aluminum, with a yellow chromate rear spar. Stay tuned for more updates!

Edited by Daywalker

You have GOT to tell me about that engine color!

Sincerely,

Mark

Haha... certainly! I am going to permanently close up the engine bay on this one, and painted the basic engine the interior color to check out the color mix I intended to use, as well as practice some weathering on that color and a new gloss clear formula. Thanks for looking in! :thumbsup:

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Terrific progress on the Mustang and how right you are about everything lining up perfectly. The mark of a quality kit and the talent of the builder.

Most likely, I'll be following your lead with my next Mustang and closing up the cowls sections for the classic fighter look.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Frank

Regardless of kit quality, it's your obvious skill that brings to life.

Geoff

Very kind of you to say Geoff, thank you so much! Glad you liked my progress so far.

Great work Frank! The gear bays are looking superb! :goodjob:

Thanks Darren! Good to be home from vacation today, and looking forward to building again. Not a Mustang related photo, but being such a 007 fan as you are, thought I would share this photo of me up close and personal with the new AM Virage. What a GORGEOUS car!

2013-05-02115053.jpg

:wub: