S.e.5a - No 74 'Tiger' Squadron, Clairmarais 1918, Diorama

kkarlsen

Kent, you have created an absolutely jaw-dropping diorama that is magnificently crafted and exquisite to see.

Such a beautiful display that tells a wonderful tale. Each element looks superb.

I am very, very impressed. Great job, well done.

Would it be possible to ask for a couple of larger resolution images please?

If so, I'll send you my e-mail addy via pm.

Thanks for taking the time to share this fabulous creation,

Cheers.

World class, Kent. Really. It's so complete from being historically accurate to being incredibly detailed not to mention massive. The WIP really showed us  how hard and intensively you worked, too. Nothing great is ever easy. Bravo!  

Kent, you have created an absolutely jaw-dropping diorama that is magnificently crafted and exquisite to see.

Such a beautiful display that tells a wonderful tale. Each element looks superb.

I am very, very impressed. Great job, well done.

Would it be possible to ask for a couple of larger resolution images please?

If so, I'll send you my e-mail addy via pm.

Thanks for taking the time to share this fabulous creation,

Cheers.

INCREDIBLE and STUNNING bit of artwork and

PHENOMENAL recreation ..

OUTSTANDINGLY GORGEOUS Diorama which is quite unique as it unfolds events like a story ...

thank you for showing it.

Kent you have an eye for exacting detail.

EXEMPLARY work.

:wow:

:bow:

:bow:

World class, Kent. Really. It's so complete from being historically accurate to being incredibly detailed not to mention massive. The WIP really showed us  how hard and intensively you worked, too. Nothing great is ever easy. Bravo!  

Thank you gentlemen, your too kind, I'm almost moved to tears by your very kind comments!

It really was a labor intensive project, but except for the rigging I enjoyed every minute of it!

These were my first biplane builds, in a large scale, with some very steep learning curves.

But I must say, I'm almost at the point of being hooked on these old 'kites' with their wood,

linen and wires, the carpenter in me just love working with 'wood' even though its artificial ;-)

And yes, the history is important, I can't do a project without some kind of historical background.

This is what 'fuels the fire' and prevents these projects from stalling or even ending up on the

'shelf of doom'. As I mentioned in another thread, when I visited various museums in my younger

years, it was always the dioramas that fascinated me, to me they do something that photos and

maps, or even the real 1:1 can't, they bring history to life in a 'real' setting or environment, in a

way you can almost feel and touch history, the people the landscape etc... 

So to bring this project to an end, I reworked a S.e.5a profile from 'Osprey Aircraft of the Aces 78'

These are the men and their machines:

7698-300617104652-110921380.jpeg

7698-300617104653-110932410.jpeg

7698-300617104653-110941993.jpeg

Kind regards: Kent Karlsen

Edited by kkarlsen

A 'collection' of photos, of No 74 Squadron...

7698-300617115551-111071889.jpeg

No 74 Squadron after Armistice day at Halluin, november 1918

7698-300617115819.jpeg

Mannock (seated far left) with four other Aces of 74 'Tiger' Squadron. Left to Right: Mannock (61 victories) Commander Keith Caldwell (25 victories). Everard, the Recording officer, Young (10 victories). Standing back row: Roxburgh-Smith (16 victories) and Kiddie (11 victories). (Royal Air force museum)

7698-300617115551-111101997.jpeg

'Taffy' in his sidcot flying suit.

7698-300617115551-111112403.jpeg

'Freddie' with his plane...

7698-300617115551-11109597.jpeg

Sydney 'Timbertoes' Carlin, a very fascination story...

Edited by kkarlsen

Kent.

I fully believe this astounding work of yours deserves to be in a museum.

No question.

I tend to view the world through the eyes of a musician. As such I quantify work in that way.  

Your work reminded me of these fellows.

Earl Palmer. 35,000+ recordings. Creator of the "Rock beat".

Steve Gadd. Also known as "Steve God". (Eric Clapton apparently pays him more than $20,000.00 USD per week!)

The Wrecking Crew.

Too many to name. Needless to say, World Class!

As a former pro' muso, I reckon this stuff is too good to give away for free. You should publish books and get a return for your work. For a muppet such as I? No worries. My work isn't worth a penny.

You?

Kent. Get PAID!

I'd buy your book.

Too stunning for words!  Having said that, the combination of your superb skills and the multiple model scope of the project elevate this to the upper level of "master work."  An amazing accomplishment and work of art.

Wow!! How did I miss this?! I cannot come up with words to describe how wonderful this is. Not just the aircraft but the composition of the diorama, the placement of the figures...and those figures! So lifelike, the colours, the poses and the way they are placed. All so natural, you can almost imagine them speaking to each other.

It almost looks like a still from a movie set  (but accurate!)

Beautiful and masterful! You are an artist!

Richard