Old Revell Spitfire MK I/II- done 2-17-16

Shawn M

Starting my thread as I will drop in lil snippits of progress as I go.

I found this kit on the shelves of a great lil Hobby Shop in Muskegon Michigan (House of Hobbies by Dug)

Smashed box didn't get my confidence going, but all the bits were there.

23163339173_3cd44cfac7_b.jpg

The sticker on the box wasn't kidding... "needs decals"

23163338873_efda6deedc_b.jpg

So, I added decals :)

and some resin...

23681684902_2fdde47c62_b.jpg

Still trying to figure out which scheme to do, it may be a touch ' wiffy as I really want to do a black and white belly Dunkirk bird.

Edited by Shawn M

Good job Shawn. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Did n't some of the early black/white underside Spitfires have silver doped ailerons?

BTW, how old is that boxing? It looks very vintage by the state of it. It will be great to follow along and see how this kit builds up.

Cheers.

Guest Peterpools

Shawn

Excellent choice for the GB.  I never heard of 3D =-kits decals. Are they still available?

Looking forward to following your progress

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Shawn.

Looking at the parts breakdown of this kit I think I have the Seafire boxing with some of the same molds. I recognise the control surface hinge mechanisms and the two part pilot.

Good luck with this one. (The one I began is probably about 50% complete somewhere in the attic).

Cheers.

Thanks for the support gang!

Decided she will be in flight and buttoned up. I plan to detail out the cockpit and exterior.

Max, in regards to the new kit its far more basic.

I cant speak to shape issues between the two however, it looks like a 'Spit to me so Im pleased.

This kit is very diferent from the rest of the 1/32 offerings of Revells in this period.

Its all nicely engraved panels lines vs. raised and a nice mix of raised and engraved fasteners.

I was able to spend some time both before and after the holiday to start gluring and cutting.

Pics to come.

I've been able to graft in both Barracuda Oil and Radiators into the lower wing and will be using the ailerons as well, although the later is a bit "short" compared to the kit pieces.

I glued the pilot together and managed to recarve and clean him up into an acceptable lump.

The Merlin is glued together but wont be seen, its not bad and is in fact better the then Merlin supplied in the "Phantom" Mustang Kit, go figure.

The open cowl panels are glued in and getting the trench lines filled.

I've started maping out the cockpit to detail, correct and spruce up.

This kit is a mixed bag, recessed lines and some great detail (seat height adjustment for example) yet there is really nothing correct in the cockpit!