Hungarian Bf 109G-6: Finished w/new pics!

How's that  "sanity check" build going John?

Well, as you may have guessed, I lost it there for a while! :mental:

I've been back at the bench for the last couple days, however and I hope to keep going on this project, as well as a couple others. So, here's where I'm at, so far.....

Cockpit is pretty much done and in place.

20140417_152049_zpsfacafb36.jpg

20140417_195617_zps702029ff.jpg

I'm still debating on whether or not I'm going to rivet this plane. For the sake of time, I may pass on this one, or only hit a few spots that may be most visible (thinking maybe the fuselage). With the cockpit out of the way, I'm hoping that the rest will go faster.

John

Another small update.

I decided to try out the Trumpeter riveting wheel, after all. I got the fuselage done and most of the upper wing panels. It moves pretty fast. Almost too fast, as I got a little sloppy on a couple lines, but I'm learning the dos/don'ts of the tool. The paint will likely cover most of the rivet detail and I can probably choose what areas to have stand out, during the weathering stage. I also added a weld seam from Archer on the supercharger intake. This is the first time I've used these and plan on more extensive use with my Hs 129 build, so this gave me a little taste of what to expect.

20140421_162939_zpsf7cda083.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

I did some more riveting and got the wings and a few other parts on, this morning. Shot a light coat of aluminum for primer, just to check it out. This one is almost ready for paint. I have a 1/48 scale 109F that I'm doing for a customer and it's almost to the same stage. After I add a few more things to that, I'll be painting them at the same time.

20140422_131242_zps72a098c6.jpg

John

Thank you, Hakan.

I don't have any more pictures tonight, but I managed to get the yellow fuselage band and wingtip undersides painted. I also worked on the resin spinner for a good part of the day and should have the entire prop assembly done tomorrow. I'll post more pics tomorrow. It's about time for bed. :closedeyes:

Thanks again,

John

Yesterday I was able to add the reflector sight and made a power cable for it, too. I also added grab handles to the windscreen interior, but forgot to take photos of it.

20140424_203459_zps80be94e4.jpg

20140424_203519_zpsb3481dd3.jpg

I got the canopy all masked and did some of the preliminary painting. I ran into paint/airbrush problems and called it quits at about midnight, last night. My old Paasche H, that I've been using for over 20 years, is finally being retired. My wife got me a new one for Christmas, so I have a backup. I actually plugged that one in to start the mottling, last night. I should have switched sooner!

20140424_231338_zps6f8cbcba.jpg

20140424_231410_zps7ae72adc.jpg

I'll be going back with the RLM 75 later today.

Here's a picture with the 1/48 scale F4, after painting the undersides, for comparison.

20140424_104944_zpsf8466168.jpg

I have other things I have to do today, but look forward to getting back to the bench, this evening.

Thanks for looking and for the encouragement.

John

I'm actually almost done, now. The weathering is complete, flaps are on, prop is on and drop tank installed. Just a few more bits and some touch ups and I'll post pictures when it's finished. However, speaking of the drop tank, I worked on the kit tank a little bit before painting it.

20140426_232643_zpsf8392304.jpg

Well, I'm going to call this one done. I may add a tether line to the canopy yet. I hadn't decided if I want to close it up, or keep it open. I'm now leaning towards open, but may still get more photos, both ways.

Here's a rundown of some of the other things I did with the kit/parts:

Added brass strip and tube to the drop tank.

Drilled out the axis of the spinner (originally intended to use one tube for both the cannon blast tube and the prop shaft, but the design of the kit didn't really allow that, so I just used the tube at the muzzle).

Drilled out cowl gun muzzles.

Added grab handles to windscreen and bracing to headrest.

Added power cable to reflector sight.

Sanded/filed the DF loop antenna to make it flat in profile (probably would have been easier to just replace it with PE/plastic strip, but I wanted to try it this way and it worked quite well).

Added the ends of the brake lines near the axles of the main gear.

I just shot some quick pics with my phone, but will try to get outdoors for some better photos when the weather clears up. It's been raining for two days and it looks like periodic rain/snow for the next few days, at least. :( When I get better pics, I'll post them in the RFI forum, also.

This was a fun build and I'm happy to have been a part of this GB. Thanks for following along!

John

2_zps322ddbca.jpg

3_zps5522c332.jpg

1_zps1e5231c1.jpg

4_zpsfd77a855.jpg

Looks great John - even with photos from your phone! Terrific stuff, and congrats on getting it done. Looking forward to your glamour shots.

When I get better pics, I'll post them in the RFI forum, also.

Better not to, as we prefer to keep the GB stuff separate - hence the GB Gallery forum associated with the GB. It's also why I don't republish the finished GB entries on the website, as I do it with the GB Gallery content once the GB is finished.

Kev

Thanks, Kevin.

No problem on the RFI forum. However, I would like to refrain from having these photos put in the GB gallery. I would much prefer to have better pictures, of course! ;)

Yep, no problem. Just post 'em here when you get a chance to take them.

Kev