New from WnW

SWApilot

WnW is not in competition with Roden or any other "conventional" manufacturer. Without Sir Peter Jackson's deep pockets and love of WWI aircraft, many WnW offerings would never have seen the light of day, and even the main-stream offerings would be out of the price range of all but the most ardent enthusiasts (like 1/72 AModel).

I'm just glad I won't have to pay 200 quid for the Tripehound, as I want to do it as the Red Army version on skis.

Importantly the profits from the mass DR1 sales would help fund more of those bizarre and unusual WW1 aircraft that catch everyones eye somethng Roden have never contributed to.

WNW don't need the alleged massive profits that a Dr.I would apparently bring in to fund 'bizarre and unusual' subjects. You can tell this is the case because they're released a number of kits of lesser-known types without needing to provide a Dr.I in the first place to generate these apparent huge profits. I guess that having a guy who is worth over $400m owning and guiding the company has some benefits.

I'm also still amazed that so many people who bleat on about the lack of a WNW Fokker Triplane can't actually get it's designation correct.

It shouldn't be surprising that WnWs is doing a decal sheet for Roden. Richard Alexander once posted that WnWs is not about to compete with Roden and this proves it.

Except for the DH.2.

And Sopwith Triplane.

And SE.5a.

And Pfalz D.III (although WNW's Pfalz D.IIIa is a different aircraft, to be fair).

And Camel (Although that's Academy, RIchard did say they'd not produce ANY model that had an existing 1/32 kit).

Producing decals for somebody else's kit in your own kit's boxing is very odd, I know of no other manufacturer who have done this? You are basically encouraging your customers to go out & buy a competitors kit - indeed, the decals are useless without it. Just very, very odd behaviour, kind of giving Roden a leg up.  Have WNW invested in Roden, by any chance? Would be a good match-up, strategically, and WNW could afford it.

I emailed Richard Alexander a few weeks ago, asking him, in effect, not to release kits celebrating specific pilots. He said "whatever we do, some people will be disappointed". I never realised it was me that would be disappointed!

Except for the DH.2.

And Sopwith Triplane.

And SE.5a.

And Pfalz D.III (although WNW's Pfalz D.IIIa is a different aircraft, to be fair).

And Camel (Although that's Academy, RIchard did say they'd not produce ANY model that had an existing 1/32 kit).

Producing decals for somebody else's kit in your own kit's boxing is very odd, I know of no other manufacturer who have done this? You are basically encouraging your customers to go out & buy a competitors kit - indeed, the decals are useless without it. Just very, very odd behaviour, kind of giving Roden a leg up.  Have WNW invested in Roden, by any chance? Would be a good match-up, strategically, and WNW could afford it.

I emailed Richard Alexander a few weeks ago, asking him, in effect, not to release kits celebrating specific pilots. He said "whatever we do, some people will be disappointed". I never realised it was me that would be disappointed!

Except for Eduard, who basically does this very same thing on a massive scale with their photo etch sets.  They will produce photo etch for their own 1/48 scale Bf 109, Spitfire and Fw 190 kits and then make photo etch for other companies' kits (ie, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Revell, etc...) in the same scale. 

I fail to see how producing after market stuff for another companies' kits is somehow counter-intuitive in some business sense.  WNW doesn't make a Dr.1 or an Albatros D.III, so there is absolutely no overlap there.

Edited by esarmstrong

Except for Eduard, who basically does this very same thing on a massive scale with their photo etch sets.  They will produce photo etch for their own 1/48 scale Bf 109, Spitfire and Fw 190 kits and then make photo etch for other companies' kits (ie, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Revell, etc...) in the same scale. 

I fail to see how producing after market stuff for another companies' kits is somehow counter-intuitive in some business sense.  WNW doesn't make a Dr.1 or an Albatros D.III, so there is absolutely no overlap there.

Please re-read what I wrote - you bolded it and underline it. Then re-read the thread, because I'm not sure you understand.

This is what I wrote (I've added bold & underlining):

"Producing decals for somebody else's kit in your own kit's boxing".

Please also bear in mind that WNW are offering decals for the Roden kits in their own kits boxing. You have to buy WNW's 1/32 Albie kit in order to get WNW's 1/32 Albie D.III or 1/32 Fokker Dr.I decals, both for the Roden kits.

You cannot buy the decals separately. 

Eduard do not sell, say, a 1/32 109, and then include decals for Revell's Spitfire in the same box? Yes, they sell AM for Revell's Spitfire, but you buy them separately.

Can you see the difference?