4 July 1989, Russian MIG 23MF Flogger-B crash in Belgium.

Guest DannyVM

Wow thank's very much Ilya, this is just fabulous info you gave me. Not just only the number, but now i have also a visual about the used camo. :speak_cool:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

That's what i'm looking for thanks mate  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

The most important to me is the evidence regarding the bort number, and the camo patern.

Great Erik, i will use this on. Thank's mate :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

No matter what kind of type, for me the most important is that i have clear photo's of the set up of the cockpit. I can use these together with my own reference stuff to get it as close as possible.

The photo's of the MIG 23 in Ilya's first post giving me a good view about the use of the tactical Camo and most important, the yellow bort numbers.

For now, i noticed one important detail. At first i didn't see it, but it was given to me by a Dutch colleague modeler. Look at the star of the crashed plane, the two bottom tip's of the star aren't aligned with the underside of the rudder.

tGwGAsTh.jpg

source : Belgische Luchtmacht / Sectie Vliegveiligheid

m.m.v. Lt.Kol. Vlieger M. d'Espallier
(Archief Dhr. Corstens, R.S.)

In the photo's provided by Ilya, the stars seems to be aligned.

For now, my next question, are there masks for Sovjet numbers, i need the yellow number 29 but i didn't managed to find decals for this particular plane.

Greetz

Danny

Hi;

Having looked at your photo and alignment lines (in red), the mis-alignment is due to the rudder being in a left turn position.  If you notice the top of the rudder, it is also out of alignment.

Cheers

Al

As there is a gap between the lower red line and the lower edge of the rudder, I am pretty sure Danny has taken into account that the rudder is not straight on the photo. I have to admit the inclined star was the first thing I saw on the pic and I am pretty sure it really is inclined!

Interesting background story by the way - I've never heard of this one before. 

As there is a gap between the lower red line and the lower edge of the rudder, I am pretty sure Danny has taken into account that the rudder is not straight on the photo. I have to admit the inclined star was the first thing I saw on the pic and I am pretty sure it really is inclined!

Indeed, i taken that in account. The red line isn't align with the bottom of the rudder but with the bottom horizontal edge of the space where the rudder is placed in.

At the moment i'm still working my way true the decision how i will get a correct nose cone. I'm in contact with a Dutch colleague modeler who has a MIG 29K, so i presume if this nose is also good for use he will get a master of it.

Greetz

Danny

Guest Airfixer

The corrected nose cone Florin used on his build is a neat way to "compensate" the overall serious shape and proportion flaws of the kit's fwd fuselage. A cast copy of the 32nd scale MiG-29K/M might work as well. A new nose cone will optically compensate/balance the shape issues. You will end up with the fwd fuselage being too short, but the new nose cone will largely restore the overall proportions. It's an ingenious trick to cope with a comparatively complex problem. So go for it!

In principle, Trumpeter got the overall lenght of the fwd fuselage quite correctly, but they screwed up almost every cross section between fuselage station #1 (radome mount) and station #6/6B right below the windscreen. Apart from shape, the cross sections are way too undersized which largely contributes to the overall "over-stretched"/"shrunk" appearance of the entire fwd fuselage plus radome. If you put the kit's  fwd fuselage halves together, you may notice some strange neckings resulting from those undersized cross sections. On the actual aircraft, the fwd fuselage contours taper quite evenly towards the radome - no such overly pronounced neckings. Canopy and windshield are a different story...

zvR76N9.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

Hey Danny,

just signed up yesterday. (As mentioned via "snake-mail") Very nice to see all the info which is "flowing" over here at LSP regarding Your project. I'm sure all the input will enable You to fill in all the blind-spot's which we have been discussing. 

Regards Rudy.

P.S.:

In regard to a small "introduction" for all You fellow-modellers: I'm the Dutchie Danny is referring to... :)     

Thank's allot Erik for the heads-up, much appreciated mate :thumbsup:

Can you tell me where i have to cut the kit's nose cone from the fuselage. There are two vertical panel lines, which is it the first or the second??

At the moment i'm talking to my Dutch colleague modeler what the possibility's are regarding casting a new nose cone. I think he will soon hop in on this topic to let us know his own findings.

For now, i'm busy with the Aires cockpit and KM-2 Ejection seat, all is coming together nicely. I will soon start to post photo's so you guy's can enjoy. :punk:

Greetz

Danny

Guest Airfixer

You're welcome, Danny.

I'd suggest to wait until you have got hold of a replacement nose.

The replacement nose's actual diameter at its rear base is the key factor as to where to effectively place that cut.

Normally, you'd cut along the green line.

7qFva9T.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

I'd suggest to wait until you have got hold of a replacement nose.

The replacement's nose actual diameter at its rear base is the key factor as to where to cut.

Normally, you'd place the cut along the green line. The second one, if you will.

Ok wilco erik, i will wait until i get a new one, thank's mate :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Hey Danny,

just signed up yesterday. (As mentioned via "snake-mail") Very nice to see all the info which is "flowing" over here at LSP regarding Your project. I'm sure all the input will enable You to fill in all the blind-spot's which we have been discussing. 

Regards Rudy.

P.S.:

In regard to a small "introduction" for all You fellow-modellers: I'm the Dutchie Danny is referring to... :)     

And a big hearty :post1:  to you, Rudy.

Hey Danny,

Regards Rudy.

P.S.:

In regard to a small "introduction" for all You fellow-modellers: I'm the Dutchie Danny is referring to...  :)     

:hi:  :post1:  Nice to see you here Ruud, i'm very pleased you hopped in for this project 

Grtz

Danny

Thanx for the warm welcome gentlemen !

I have been eyeballing LSP for quite a few years but never felt like joining due to the fact that I hardly build 1/32 scale. Not because I don't have any in my stash, but simply due to the fact that I hardly have any room to put them once they are finished. I do happen to have a Trumpy F-8 at hand right now which, every now & than, get's some attention but not enough to open up a WIP. Who know's, maybe one day in the future... For now I'll just see if I can pitch in some usefull info, or to flog You guy's in order to get some info.

Regards Rudy.

P.S.:

Get it ? "Flog" --> Flogger    :fight:

Nice one Remember it when that happend

Looking forward to your progress

Mark 

Thank's Marc for hopping in mate. :speak_cool:

Thanx for the warm welcome gentlemen !

I have been eyeballing LSP for quite a few years but never felt like joining due to the fact that I hardly build 1/32 scale. Not because I don't have any in my stash, but simply due to the fact that I hardly have any room to put them once they are finished. I do happen to have a Trumpy F-8 at hand right now which, every now & than, get's some attention but not enough to open up a WIP. Who know's, maybe one day in the future... For now I'll just see if I can pitch in some usefull info, or to flog You guy's in order to get some info.

Regards Rudy.

P.S.:

Get it ? "Flog" --> Flogger     :fight:

A Trumpy Crusader......hmmm, always wanted to try one and finish it in a French Naval scheme. :hmmm:  Hmmm....maybe one day.

Ok guy's, next question. A friend has a Revell MIG 29 in his stash. Would the nose of the Revell kit be suitable for the MIG 23?? :please:

Greetz

Danny

Ok guy's, time to show you some photo's.

i all ready had some hint's gaven by you guy's about the Aires cockpit, regarding the fit into the fuselage. When it comes to Aires stuff, i always am very careful, because you never now about the fit of the part's. In this case, it was a real joy. Only the casting block needed to be removed, the rest went like a dream. Also the amount of detail inside the cockpit tub is just astonishing. 

So after some minor sanding work, thing's began to look like a Flogger cockpit.

bYP2BZqh.jpg

IPWtgQJh.jpg

SAIFLcRh.jpg

Like i said, the amount of detail is just great to look at.

Avyvbych.jpg

3LJg3r4h.jpg

PcHQy0Hh.jpg

SvZB5ubh.jpg

Also, the KM-2 ejection seat is a real jewel on it's own.

Jp0vS1Dh.jpg

VZQ3UTCh.jpg

And a dry-fit into the cockpit

FAEnNkeh.jpg

tiBxnRhh.jpg

Next step, the KM-2 seat-belt's  :fight:  This was a real painstaking process. The complexity of the whole harness, and the very doubtful Aires instructions made the assembling of the seat-belt harness a time-consuming process.

But i think i've did it well, and this is the result.

a1DmjmKh.jpg

u2hprG0h.jpg

VZNfEQVh.jpg

So again, a dry-fit into the cockpit, and thing's look so much better.

yByBfujh.jpg

rtfsac1h.jpg

UGmPf2Vh.jpg

7RbMKFxh.jpg