A6M5 Zero-sen

Azgaron

Welcome to the GB Azgaron. And with a kit I know only too well! It's interesting that the box art now shows the correct forward rake for the aerial mast coming out of the canopy, but in the kit it's entirely vertical. A difficult one to fix too, as it passes through the glassware. Not sure I'm going to bother to fix it on mine in the end.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

While procrastinating a little :) I thought I might ask about the interior color! Would british interior green be a good choice? And are the wheel wells supposed to be either painted in aluminium or metalic blue?

I also noticed that the decal sheet have instrument decals, but they aren't mentioned in the instructions! I that somekind of new addition to an rather old model?

Anyway I think I'll use them!

Cheers,

Azgaron

While procrastinating a little :) I thought I might ask about the interior color! Would british interior green be a good choice? And are the wheel wells supposed to be either painted in aluminium or metalic blue?

I also noticed that the decal sheet have instrument decals, but they aren't mentioned in the instructions! I that somekind of new addition to an rather old model?

Anyway I think I'll use them!

Cheers,

Azgaron

If you can get hold of it, Tamiya's XF-71 is designed to simulate Mitsubishi's interior green, and I use it generically for most IJN interior green cockpits. It does look close to British interior green though, so that may do if you're not fussy about it.

As for the wheel wells, they were generally the under surface colour for Mitsubishi-built machines, and aotake for Nakajima-built machines. The former featured a straight upper/lower camo demarcation line, whereas the latter sported a curve up to the horizontal stabilisers. The one featured on the box of your kit is a Nakajima-built machine.

The other salient difference between the two is that on Mitsubishi machines the rear fuselage decking (under the canopy) was the same colour as the cowling, whereas the Nakajima machines were the same colour as the upper surface camo.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert. This is just a summary of stuff I've read elsewhere.

HTH,

Kev

Thanks for the help Kevin!

I'll see if I can get the Tamiya color, or else I'll just go with the British interior green!

Hopefully I can get on with this build pretty soon! :)

Cheer,

Azgaron

Hey Buddy! :) Glad to see you're getting ready to put some paint on your Zero. Can't wait to see some progress pics dude! This kit is a classic, can't wait to see how it goes together. Go Azgaron,..Go!!! :rolleyes: Russ

Is this kit a re-boxing or an original Revell release?

It's an original Revell release, and by far the worst A6M5 kit available in 1/32 scale. In fact, I believe it's the first 1/32 kit Revell ever released (don't quote me on that...). It's the same kit I've been wrestling with on and off for a 18 months now.

Having said all that, it's a decent OOB build, with plenty of scope for scratch-building and detailing. I'm having fun with mine, but no matter what you do, it'll never match the Tamiya kit.

Kev

Revell's first release of 1/32 aircraft were the Spit, 109F and P-40, around 1967 I think.

IMO the Wildcat and Zero came out together before those mentioned above.

It was a few years later that they did the ones with moving parts.And if I recall correctly only the P-40,Spit and 109 had the moving parts.

Thanks for the comments guys and the interesting info about the origin of this kit!

One thought! If I want to do the same machine as on the cover, which is a Nakajima (according to Kev), are there any differences in interior color, or where both green?

Cheers,

Azgaron

Thanks for the comments guys and the interesting info about the origin of this kit!

One thought! If I want to do the same machine as on the cover, which is a Nakajima (according to Kev), are there any differences in interior color, or where both green?

Cheers,

Azgaron

They were both green, but Nakajima had their own specific variation. AFAIK there's no hobby paint designed to match it, so I just use Tamiya's XF-71 for all cases and leave it at that. XF-71 is labelled "Cockpit Green (IJN)", but I've read somewhere that it's based on Mitsubishi's colour, not Nakajima's.

Kev

IMO the Wildcat and Zero came out together before those mentioned above.

It was a few years later that they did the ones with moving parts.And if I recall correctly only the P-40,Spit and 109 had the moving parts.

Maybe they were released in that order in Europe, but in the U.S. the 3 I referenced came out first. My Wildcat kit is dated '69 and my P-40 is '67.

They were both green, but Nakajima had their own specific variation. AFAIK there's no hobby paint designed to match it, so I just use Tamiya's XF-71 for all cases and leave it at that. XF-71 is labelled "Cockpit Green (IJN)", but I've read somewhere that it's based on Mitsubishi's colour, not Nakajima's.

Kev

Thanks Kevin!

Now I only need to order some colors for this and some other kits as well!

Cheers,

Azgaron