B-17 Reference material

Karl H

clplanaft_zps0523cc0d.jpg

For those of you who are interested, here is a portion of the Boeing Centerline drawing that pertains to the nose. If you want to correct it, you will have your hands full but I hope this is of some interest. Missed the topic before it got locked, my apologies. There are three sections of the drawing here, not having much luck posting them with separation between the bottom two.

CLplanFwd_zpsc7c3818b.jpg

CLplanFwdextra_zpsbb46e510.jpg

Edited by Karl H

Guest Nigelr32

Thankyou so much Karl.

I have looked at these and it would appear i am very close to this with my guesstimates from pictures. I also notice that the only round bulkhead in the nose is the first one.

I have been reluctant to start cutting things around until i had proof of my opinions, so now I have, let the cutting begin!! This will either work out, or fill my bin!!

Welcome to LSP

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Karl,

Can I please confirm that these drawings are of the B-17G ?

I ask because they have raised some more errors with the kits form. The nose is too long from the windscreen forward, which I think is why the side windows are out of position in relation to the front of the nose. Also the tail wheel aperture needs to be moved back approx. 4mm, as it is currently located over a bulkhead.

The bulkheads 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all in the correct position in relation to the windscreen and each other. (Remember, I have already moved bulkhead 3 back.)

If these drawings are indeed of the G model, I will remove 3mm from the front of the fuselage, move the tail wheel aperture back and try to straighten up the rear fuselage taper. The shaping of the nose upper section will be so much easier now I have your drawings to hand. Thank you!!

Edit, these drawings are definitely of the G version, I didn't notice the top right images which show the bulges at 5 and 7 o'clock for the chin turret fairing.

Edited by Nigelr32

Nigel, how're you doing with that kit?  Karl is one of the SME's I referred to in the "Accuracy" posts I made.  I have been conversing with him via email for a little while about issues and clarifications in the kit.  He knows more about this airplane than I do ( I think it's possible you're learning more than I just by building the kit....) and has the added benefit of having an entire set of B-17 blueprints.  I'm glad he's decided to join our community, he has a lot to offer.  I'll let him do the talking about anything you find and I'll try and fill in missing information if I can.  Hopefully, we (all three of us) can compliment each other and we'll all have a great time helping you build this model (while taking notes for a build of my own).  I sent him the link to your build thread and he'll probably post in there so as to not clutter the discussion forum and prevent a rehash of what happened yesterday.  I'm still sad that your accuracy thread degenerated into a sh*t slinging contest and hope that after the negative posts are deleted the mods will reopen it.

Hoo boy.  This kit reminds me of when the Dragon P-51 came out with all the errors it had.  If I remember correctly, that kit generated some pretty strong language also.  I'd love to see some of those B-17 blueprints and see how they relate to the kit.  If I do another kit (translate that as if my wife lets me buy another one),  I may do some of the easier mods. 

Nigel, those bulges you mention at 1, 1A, and 1B have nothing to do with the G, that apples to the E and F as well. That is the way the lower fuselage is shaped on all of these airplanes. The drawing is of an F but all of those contours remained the same. Just the first stations (except Bulkhead 1) have sections removed for the chin turret on the G. The fairing behind the turret doesn't affect the primary fuselage structure. I am in Savannah right now at the 100th BG reunion (I am a B-17 junkie in too many ways!) and when I get home I will try to help you out. I know I have the drawings about the window placement and drawings of the actual cheek gun structure but it may take a little while for me to find it on the film and then convert it to digital. I also seem to be having some problems posting the drawings on this particular forum, but I will learn! Just give me a little time ; ). Thank you all for welcoming me, I just want to share this information with those who are interested.

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks for your reply Karl, I'm considering coming over to one of your big B-17/B-24 collections sometime soon. I plan to get a ride in a 17 and a 25.There's no way here in the UK.

I will be interested to see those blueprints for the nose window and cheek guns, just to see how far out my "guesstimations" are. I'm currently working on the port cheek gun, which I thought needed tweaking. It's actually worse than the starboard side.

I will post more pics today in my build thread.

Nigel, bring LOTS of MONEY !!!! :D  I was a member of the (then) Confederate Air Force and flew with "Sentimental Journey" for a number of years. After we started selling rides, I don't recall anyone getting off the airplane without a smile.

I have a few items in the computer that might be of a little help, but not as much as I had hoped. The cheek gun drawing does not show the contours of the fairing (or at least the section I have at the moment). I will check the full drawing sometime this week. Also a few photos of the cheek gun on Journey that I was able to get close to when I was doing a little research on the subject. And a couple from Duxford.

The drawing portion:

Leftcheekdrawing.jpg

Next two are from the restoration of the Duxford B-17 thread on WIX. I hope it is okay to use then as long as they are credited. If not, I will delete but they are such a great reference!

7025007349_295ae2fd9f_z_zps6fe09182.jpg

IMG_3281_EGSU_FEB2012_G12_zps79bff699.jp

Left and right mounts in Journey: (yes I took the next two in B & W, couldn't tell you why anymore). Note: The opening immediately above the gun was originally hinged at the top. It was not done on this restoration. Just a note of caution about using restorations for reference.

Cheekgunmounts_zps1b9fe307.jpg

Left gun mount:

Cheekgun.jpg

Left cheek showing the upper longeron attachment externally:

Leftcheekdetailnoted.jpg

The left cheek and its attachment to the longeron:

Leftcheekinterior.jpg

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks Karl,

They surely are great ref pics. I have installed the longerons into my fuselage, so now I know how to carry them on through into the nose!!

Thanks again.

Karl, you lucky guy.  You get to go to the 100th BG reunion.  I used to go to the 8th AF Historical Society reunions about 30 years ago and did join the 100th BG Association but they lost my name somehow.  One of my really good friends that I met through the 8th AFHS was a guy by the name of Bill Behr who was the ball turret gunner on the 100th's *******'s Bungalow and on Silver Dollar, my namesake.  In fact, my Fortress is going to be given the markings of Silver Dollar.   It ain't gonna be 100% accurate at all but it'll be a fitting tribute.