Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

Time to address the internal support structure:

The A-7 will be very low to the base, because the higher the corsair is the higher the intruder will be. And that will be a stability issue. So the intruder needs to be as low as possible.

Usually I tend to use 10mm tranparent plain support rod that I insert into a 10mm hollow aluminium tube (which is 12mm in diameter)

So the first step is to place that tube inside the A-7 fuselage.

I hate vertical stands, IMHO they break the dynamic of the scene, but it's harder to work with oblique stands. This one will be 40° down and forward from the model (the intruder will have it down 60° something and backward

A6A7_047_A7_support.png

The A-7 is really easy because I can mess with the lower fuselage at no risk of damaging anything because i'm inside the airbrake bay.

The top fuselage is great too because I'm inside the wing. So there is zero risk of damaging anything and the two holes are providing a stable structure for the aluminium tube.

A6A7_048_A7_support.png

The fuselages are closed and the pose is tested for being level with the horizon. The mockup base hole is not perfectly 50° but 52° so I have too much of a nose down attitude IMHO. That will be corrected on the final base.

It's not very visible on the picture above but with all the resin and weight in the nose, it becomes a factor. The added bonus is that the support stand enters the lower fuselage very close to the centre of gravity of the model (with the nose resin goodies)

The model is also too high on its support stand but I don't want to cut it yet.

A6A7_049_A7_support.png

The bottom will need to be worked out further by cutting correctly the tube and fitting the closed airbrake. I planned it to be just behing the forward airbrake bulge.

A6A7_050_A7_support.png

The top is really nice; I can adjust all I want and then by gluing the wings I will provide a stop for the support stand. Not far from an ideal situation, I struggle much more with other models.

I can smell paint. ;)

Soon

Edited by red Dog

• 2 weeks later...

I usually source the support materials in art stores. The kind of stores for the student in architecture.

They have all kind of different diameter rods, hollow, plain, in acrylic or metal or plastic.

I also am always on the lookout for parts that could be suitable for the inflight displays.

That's the reason I have a box full of various material such as fower supports, weird design compositions, tubes etc etc.

:)

With the internal support validated, I closed the fuselage. Cokcpit and intake didn't give much trouble.

It was a bit hard to get the correct placement for the cockpit sidewall as I didn't glue them on the cockpit and elected to insert them after the resin pit was sandwiched in the fuselage.

The nose and intake lipe were then quickly added and adjusted

A6A7_056_A7_nose.png

One of the main fitting issue of the kit is to close the airbrake. Many builders decided to leave it slighly open to avoid the problem - which is a valid option on the ground.

Unfortunately not for air to air refuel. On top of it I have the added challenge of the support rod going through the airbrake. So first thing was to drill through it at the right place and angle

A6A7_052_A7_airbrake.png

A6A7_051_A7_airbrake.png

The fitting issue can be easily solved by adding plastic strips under the airbrake parts. By elevating them a bit the fitting is much better on top and on the side fuselage.

A6A7_053_A7_airbrake.png

Tha actual airbrake is a bit too long and need to be shortened at the arrows for a better fit. The inges are a potential issue and care must be taken not to sink them.

To avoid it I placed some plasticard support inside.

A6A7_054_A7_airbrake.png

Putty was required mainly on the bump and at the end of the airbrake.

The side part extending from the airbrake are sinking below the fuselage level. Once again, something that can be easily solved with bits of plastic strips palced accordingly as seen on the above.

A6A7_055_A7_airbrake.png

Closed airbrake. The assembly has been puttied and engraving was redone.

The nose gear doors were closed shut with the usual issues.

I realised too late that the launch bar is supposed to remain visible in the front opening as there is no doors for that part. I'll have to find a way to place it afterward.

A6A7_057_A7_launchbar.png

Edited by red Dog

Nice solutions to a number of problems. Well done!

I prefer to go with square supports for my inflight displays, to avoid tilting around of the model once and forever, especially if the model is intended to be removed from the base for transport. But that is a matter of taste. Most modellers are fine with round supports after the proper application of some glue.

Regards

- dutik

BTW, you are from Bruxelles... Any chance to see this display and other models here in Germany? Euro Model Expo in Lingen comes to mind, or PMC Luebeck meeting every even year.

Regards

- dutik

Thanks guys,

Jari, I'll make good use of that picture

which leads me to one particular question i kept for the future, but looking at the picture jari posted, i can see it's the same thing:

does anyone know why the desert storm A-7E had most of the time asymmetrical loadouts?

Most of the pictures i have seen have weapons loaded on station 1&3 (with a ter on 1) and 7&8 (with a ter on #8)

Basically the TER are symmetricals (STA1 & STA8), but why are the single stations not (STA3 & STA7)?

VA-72-SLUF-ds.jpg?fit=720%2C469

it's hard to see but the single bomb on the left wing is not on the same pylon as on the right wing.

that's the exact loadout i'll use but my curiosity is aroused :)

some more without the TERs

image029.jpg

left side

image033.jpg

right side

even better, bombs have been dropped but the pylon remain:

image043.jpg

Edited by red Dog