Dieselpunk BF 109

spacewolf

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool stuff. The pilot looks a natural fit.

Well... the ship is being built in 'our' scale.. 1/32 !! It may be sci-fi/ dieselpunk but I wanted it in 1/32 to fit in with all my other fighters.

That's beyond übercool!  Can't wait to see her finished!

Thanks Jennings, very much appreciated ! I can't wait either.. this last few weeks has been a trial. Definately needs to be done so I can move on to other things.

Edited by spacewolf

This is fantastic!  

I actually have a photo folder filled with sci-fi artwork and concept sketches for future scratch build project ideas...

And the craft you are building is one of the things I have pulled from the internet and placed in that folder!

I love this thing.

Well that is just too cool ! Glad I could let you see my build in 3-D, would love to see you build your version of it. I have so many cool ship pics stashed away.. far too many ships and too little time in which to build them. Question for ya... what paint scheme would you build yours in ?.. as depicted ?.. or something else ?

Interesting project and exceptionally clean scratch building.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis ! It is an interesting ship, fell in love with it the first time I saw Matts drawing. As for clean scratchbuilding... I loath putty.. would much rather fill with plastic sheet or plastic filler made from  styrene and glue. I try very hard to keep gaps and seams to a minimum. the better the fit, the less time spent fixing ham handed construction.

So kids, they finally let me out of the padded room and it's that time again ! :frantic:

The past 3 weeks have not been fun... that center section almost drove me to drink !! The comprimise is NOT perfect, but it's one I can live with ..(I think..).. I got ahead of myself and didn't get pics of the first side I did, but the other one I got so you can see. Using scrap sheet I made parts to make a bit of a ramp and try to blend from the slab sided forward section into the rounded aft half. And just to burst the bubble that I'm some kind wonder builder I'll show ya this... made this lovely part, taper sanded in two planes, cut perfect to size...

xdiVK35.jpg

Just to realize it was backwards... I'd sanded the tapers on the wrong side... :BANGHEAD2:

bQoZGn0.jpg

Nothing for it but redo it... glued on finally with scrap bits to build up the lower canopy framing..

IBKleZn.jpg

And finally sanded down..

l55wvzv.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

I have been totally frustrated with the intakes, just can't get the lines to match what Matt drew... so I changed it ... I saw this neat Tamyia photo etch set at the local hobby shop...

.phG5DBk.jpg

The width of the smaller screens was the right width if I continued the angle of the lower side parts up the side of the ship. I cut the length as the part was too long and once fitted together it fit like it was supposed to...

w2vlD6E.jpg

The angles match perfectly.... I think this is as good as it's gonna get. three weeks of trying almost made me give up on the build.

3CuUGBt.jpg

So finally I could start on the other side..

IUZODxD.jpg

And while waiting for glue to dry I started on the rear canopy... had to get that started as again, I had no idea how it was going to blend into the curved aft section.. it's slab sided like a 109 canopy. Indeed, I used the canopy of an old Revell kit as a guide. Two end parts, four spreaders and two angle bits were cut, the outline drawn on scrap sheet and everything carefully glued together.

rvsO3Rd.jpg

Once dry the part was carefully cut from the base and sanded.. here it is with the 109 canopy for ref.

QAT3mfY.jpg

s855PC1.jpg

There was a thread started about why more folks don't scratchbuild... I commented that it takes a lot of time and thought to figure out how to make the parts.. not to mention the patience to do it. This canopy is rather simple.. only 6 parts. All it takes is careful measuring, making sure everything is square. I hope in showing this some of you get inspired to try some scratch work.

Edited by spacewolf

So.. slab sided rear canopy set in place... how the bloody **** to taper sand the fuselage to blend it properly ?? ...

UD4EoMo.jpg

Nothing for it but to grab sanding sticks and go at it... side and top angles done....

GL8kRUY.jpg

And wonder of wonders !!... sanding down the points between the two angles, it took on the right look !! I was gobsmacked !!

Kl8ujGO.jpg

So Now I have the other forward fuselage side to finish up, then get into the cockpit and detail the underside... Now that the midsection is sorted the build 'should' get back on a faster track.... I hope !!

5ydtB6I.jpg