Spitfire MKI/II

Lotta parachutes were floating around, so I made some passes to see what would happen. Couldn't believe they actually collapse when hit! Unfortunately, so many were falling, it was like a bunch of little barrage balloons, and I got snarled up in a few...kinda like spider-webs. Serves me right! hah.

post-4413-1219411425.jpg

Doooh!, Anyway, intermission is over now. Don't really like these markings, so I'll try others.(but spare ya'll the pics!) Next pics will be of the painted aircraft. I'm going to pre-shade all the panel lines 1st, to try that technique out. I'm gonna paint all colors with different shades to try and get a somewhat faded look too.(hopefully) More pics as they develop, probably later on tonight. Later, Russ

What duh heck?!!! I thought you were talking about a prize for shooting guys in their chutes. :) Was flabbergasted, and kinda confused until I read(FINALLY!) the top heading part of that group-build. OMG! I had no idea there was a raffle for that...Gaaaaah! Wow, oh wow, oh WOW :lol: I think I need to go sit down. I'll be back when I compose myself, whoooaaaahhh.

Excellent work Russ! Looking very good this far! The pilot turned out great!

Lucky I didn't see this before I continued my build, then I would have stopped! :D Nah, just kidding! Wonderful inspiration!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Whoohoo!, Finally got the basic paint-scheme done on this thing. :blink: Not too much to show, just a progress report. I've been doing quite some research on finding a plane/pilot combo I like,...and EUREKA!, I've found it. Bound & determined to have an Australian pilot who fought in the BOB. An irony I discovered was one of the sets of markings that came with the kit were for an Aussie. Alas, it is for a MKII and slightly too late for this battle.

Out of the top 10 aces of the BOB, one was an Australian.(also, probably the first from that continent to fire guns in anger in WWII. 1st victory off northern coast of Britain on Oct.21, 1939.) Been reading his story, and it's what I've been looking for. Also has one of the few personal markings I've seen on a Spit of that time frame. White circle with red 'boomerang'. Cooool. :blink: Flg Off Desmond (Des) Frederick Burt Sheen of No. 72 Sq., gets the nod for plane/pilot combo.

Here's where I'm at, and the markings I'm going to try and pull off.

post-4413-1219650129.jpg

post-4413-1219650148.jpg

Gotta love a boomerang,...it's sooo Australian,eh?! Going to be weathering and getting the gear on this puppy early this week. Decals by Wednesday, and puttering across the finish line by Saturday methinks. More pics as they develop.

Later, Russ

Well, go a little bit more done on it than I thought tonight! Gear is installed/painted, and other assorted what-nots put in place to see how it all looks. Yahoo, it's lookin better all the time! :P Little ahead of schedule now, so I can take some time weathering on it now. One last pic for the night. T-minus 1 week and counting on the deadline. :P Gotta get busy and make some decals. Everything I've got printed for squadron codes is sky color, and I need grey. Hmmmm.

post-4413-1219669562.jpg

lovely build russ, i do love spits and have lost count of how many iv'e done in 32 and 24th. one point---and i don't mean to interfere at all, just a point to possibly give thought to some other time. spits at this time (and sometimes much later--even hawker hunters in mid sixties) used a selection of ---well--big mats, laid over surfaces to be camouflaged--giving, except in some 'awkward' areas-------a sharp edge demarcation(unlike most hurris. at this time). the point being your feather edge---whilst being a nice bit of airbrushing---is not correct for a mk. 1 spit.

hey, it don't bother me if it don't bother you mate----but in the interests of scale modelling i thought it worth mentioning(constructive criticism and all that)

cheers,

dave.

just a quickie------72 squadron was---for a time based at acklington in 13 group----just down the road from where i live.it closed in the early seventies and is now the site of a prison!!!

dave.

Looking good Russ! Very nice paintjob! Glad to hear that you found an Australian option you could use! :P

I didn't get anything painted myself, as I watched Fanastic 4, which I haven't seen before, and after that it was a bit late to start painting!

Cheers,

Azgaron