Airfix 109E-7 1:24 Scale

sluggo

Wow this will be a nifty build! Very cool that you could make your own artwork and masks. I never even knew that Master made gun barrels for it! Eager to see the surprise for the cockpit as well!

Later,

Lee

WOW!

Who's brilliant idea was this?

Several hours in mostly scraping off flash and all I've got to show is this weak pile of ill fitting sub assemblies and some very nice gun barrels. This is pretty close to the point where it gets boxed up and furloughed to the self of doom.

But alas, I will soldier on for I must triumph.

pileodookie.png

On the bright side, one of my armor geek buddies brought me a new Tamiya Super Fine airbrush straight from the Tamiya store in Shanghai. That was a nice surprise.

A few more hours of drudgery and I might be able to start painting some of this stuff. Oh yeah, I have no choice to fix the wheel bays and probably find some decent wheels.  :BANGHEAD2:

It WILL come to pass! I salute your tenaciousness.

Cheers, Tom

+1, I never had so much satisfaction as I got out of my 1/48 hasegawa tomcat dio which took 4 years ... gotta wrestle those stubborn old kits. Go Randy!

Cheers

Jim

You raised my hopes there, I thought you had found decals for this build, this is a scheme I've been wanting to do but I would never attempt the painting of the artwork, good luck, I'll tag along if I may!

I believe Eduard at one time released a kit with these markings but I don't recall the scale. I have a scan of the profile at the house. I'll upload it when I get home.

Hussar 32D001 decal sheet covers this plane. Looks like the Eduard kit was 1:48

109e%20cover.jpg

Edited by sluggo

I spent some time last night mocking up the gear bays. I started with masking tape to get an overall shape started, then peeled the tape and put it on a piece of photo paper and scanned it into Photoshop. Once in Photoshop I copied it and pasted it into a new document in Illustrator so I could vectorize it for machine cutting. Once I was happy with the drawing I did a test cut. The first cut was pretty close but needed some tweaking. Second cut included some cutouts and was real close. I just have to nudge the cutouts where I want them and shave about 1.4mm off the lower edge and I should be ready to cut the from sheet stock and see how things look.

gearbaytest001.pnggearbaytest002.pnggearbaytest003.png

Cut file in it's current state. I'm about to go back in with the caliper and make what I hope are the final adjustments. After that I will glue them in place and and look at making some canvas covers. 

gearbaytest.png

So much for not getting hung up on fixing a bunch of stuff...........

Thanks everyone!

Finished of the wheel bays. The gap in the pic will go away when the wing gets assembled.

gearbaytest007.png

Started on the guns. Attaching those nice barrels to those gun shaped blobs of plastic was problematic. I chose to build them from brass tube so they could not help but be straight

mg131001.png.

They will be closed in so the only thing I was concerned with was maintaining the mount points and angle.

mg131.png

That's all I got for now.

Looks like you are weathering the storm of this kit. This one killed me after doing the cockpit and the engine only to find out  how weak seemingly every fit was after that. I quit modeling for 3 years! 

I'll cheer you on!

After what seemed like a few millennia fitting, filing and sanding I finally got the gun access panels to fit well enough not to have to break out the gallon can of body filler.

Here's the current pile of sub assemblies. 

pile002.png

Here's the wings in their current state. Time for some filler the fix some scribing.

wing001.png