IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

HI Mark

I'm not sure but most likely I'll try my hand at a small vignette; I really starting to get into them and of course, hopefully my figure painting skill might improve a whole lot.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Mark and today is the day I start. I've been knee deep in the Sufa book and trying to get up to speed on the Sufa and how to do the loadout.

Just want to say Thank You again for the book, as it's a gold mine of information.

Peter

Matt

If the price is right - grab it. At first look, it's a gem.

Peter

It is still a bit out of the price range now, but it's been there long enough to hit the sale shelf soon.  Same with the Tamiya F-16 kit. Not sure which one would be better.

Matt  :frantic:

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 1/9/14: THE FRONT OFFICE– THE START

It's a whole new ballgame compared to a Mustang's front office: steam driven compared to digital but what a great change of pace!

Comparing the the Academy cockpit tub to Wolfpack's offering, the brilliance of the resin parts comes shining through and the cost, worth every penny. Job one is removing the casting block: Holy Cow Batman, what a chunk of resin. Knowing the dangers of resin dust and of course, not having a mask – (I keep saying I'm buying one), I cut the casting block off with a combination of a fine X-acto razor saw and a Tamiya J Cutter, outside in the garage with the door open (Yup, it was way below freezing; 5 degrees Fahrenheit but was the safest way). As long as I was at it, I removed the casting blocks form all the parts, so the worst part of the upgrade was out of the way. I must have set a speed record for removing the casting blocks and when done, I the garage door closed in award winning time, so I could start warming up. I cleaned up all the tools and parts from the resin dust and then headed to the kitchen sink, where all the parts received a nice warm, soapy bath and the tools were wiped down as well, just to be on the safe side.

Once dry, the cockpit tub was primed with Tamiya Fine Gray primer to check and see how everything looked; awesome!

ACES II Ejection Seats

OMG, the ACES II ejection seats are a work of art and I have never seen a better pair of seats anywhere. The detail is phenomenal and working from Wolfpack's instructions and my IAF Sufa book, the small detail resin parts were added with CCA very carefully, as I didn't want to feed the carpet monster, even just a nibbling. The seats were painted again using the Sufa book as the main guide, as I noticed there were a few differences with some of the colors as compared to the standard USAF ACES II seats. Test fitting the seats into the guide rails, they slid in with a bit of teasing and the fit is tight for sure. A very light black pin wash was used to help bring out some of the details.

The Tub – awesome in every respect and with the addition of the throttles and joy sticks, the main assembly was a joy to paint. Of course, I plead guilty to calling a bit of artistic license into play.

The IP's and GLARE SHIELDS

They were a gem, fun to paint and then disaster struck. After assembling the rear set, I accidentally dropped it on the floor, no problem, I just pushed the chair back on it's casters so I could pick up the parts and then I saw it: OMG, the chair rolled over the IP and glare panel – smashed into a zillion pieces. My heart sank and hit the floor, right next to the destroyed parts. Upset and shaking, I left everything as is and went to bed – one crappy night's sleep for sure.

What to do - no choice but to bring the needed Academy parts into play. To say I was astounded at how well they looked is an understatement and as of now all is well in Sufa land.

I only took a few photos of the progress of this part of the build, as all the glorious detail in the footwells, are hidden once the IP and glare panel were fitted.

Both IP assemblies are only being test fitted, the HUD needs to be added and the the green oxygen bottles still need to be glued to the left side of each seat. The cockpit side panels are underway and are the next order of business to be installed .

Thanks for checking in.

Peter.

PCW_4526_zpsb451f13d.jpg

The Wolfpack cockpit tub and it's casting block

PCW_4516_zpscaee69f1.jpg

The Academy cockpit tub is on top and the wolfpack Tub below  and primed

PCW_4518_zps05282328.jpg

The Pilot front office foot well - some very nice details from Wolfpack - just a shame, none of it will be seen. A light pin wash helped bring out the details just the same.

PCW_4522_zps6109cbee.jpg

The IP and and Glare hoods. The Academy parts are on the right and they do look mighty nice once painted and lightly weathered

PCW_4521-2_zps82616cfb.jpg

PCW_4525_zps3ca6748c.jpg

PCW_4524_zps1d6af5ab.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Thanks so much and you're 100% correct, must be a senor moment and I'll go back and fix the typos

Peter

Edited by Peterpools