HKM Gloster Meteor Mk IV

Dpgsbody55

Michael,

yes , my pics. More in the walk around section.http://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=29

I can't claim all of those however, some are Matt Gannon's and others are Sean Trestrail's.

I have more I have not yet sent in, wheel bays and such. Let me know if you need any more.

You're right about the routing of the brake lines, but also note the hubs are not handed.

Temora is a treat, isn't it!

I'm enjoying watching your Meatbox build.

If you see T Tail, can you say hi for me. Have not seen him for 30 years, so it seems. Greg

Haven't seen that walk around, Kais, but I've bookmarked it for next time.  I'm really enjoying this build now, so there will be another one.  Yes, Temora is definitely a treat for me - we don't get any airshows on this side of the country any more.  They put on a good show each flying day, and you could never get bored there at all.

Back to the build.   The gun sight is built and in place, as is the canopy.  I prefer to install gun sights only immediately before installing the windscreen to guard against clumsy behaviour on my part.

bvpmLe.jpg

I wanted to make the canopy slide so I can vary my display, keep down the amount of dust falling into the cockpit, and again, to ensure the canopy doesn't get get broken down the road.  So you'll notice the picture above does not have the canopy rails fitted from step 2 (kit parts A15 and A16).  These have been left off and 1.5mm channel substituted.

5NIalO.jpg

Next, 2.0mm L section was glued to the canopy, after some modification.  The L section has been filed back on 1 edge to about 1.5mm, and the middle section filed back completely so that the slight bend in the new canopy rail doesn't affect the sliding canopy, and also to cut down on friction.

TfocEZ.jpg

I've masked off both sides of the canopy to guard against marking both sides, and to ensure neither side of the canopy is marked in the painting stage.  Aerials have been added as per photos, and I've built a new pitot, as the kit offering is way too thick.  The new pitot is made from 1.0mm brass tube, with a 0.5mm brass rod inserted and cut to length.  The kit part was mounted, then the kit pitot was removed and a hole drilled for my new part.  Photo's examined in my Meteor books showed this modification to be more correct.  The aerial on the fuselage is more 0.5mm brass rod mounted in a plastic strip filed to size to fill the hole left where the standard RAF aerial would go.  The other aerial hole was filled.

WfkMlQ.jpg

ojWVa9.jpg

I've now started painting the model.  I'm doing the Argentinian version, hence the aerials shown above, as different radios were fitted from standard RAF.  I'm using Tamiya rattle cans, and the model has first been primed and I've started on the yellow component first.  That's taking a little time as yellow doesn't cover at all well.

More soon.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Nice work,

I sanded the living daylights out of the outer wings leading edge on mine. I felt it was too chunky. But looking a pics you can see that the

wing was that way when they shortened the wingspan.

Cees

Hi Cees.  Yes the wings do look very stubby and excessively thick, and indeed they were.  As you say, the effect is heightened by the wings being lopped.  The original plane had a span of 43 ft, and this was shortened to 37ft 2in for the speed trials on an early Mk4 in 1945.  Since there was no adverse effect on handling, and the speed increased, this modification was made to all Meteor fighters, but the long span wings were re-introduced on the later 2 seater all weather and night fighter variants, Mk's 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 20.  For these planes the fuselage had been lengthened again over the earlier planes.  The Mk 4 was 41ft long, the Mk 8 fighter was 44ft 7 in (short span wing), and the Mk 14 night fighter was 51 ft 4in (long span wing).

The meteor was never what you'd call an advanced airframe and was very a conventional design, even by the standards of 1941, and was never going to break the sound barrier, no matter how much power it was given.  However, to my eyes, this is a good looking plane, and quite unusual for the period with a shorter wing span compared to length.

As to where I am now in the build, I've finally got the first colour on.  This has been a trial, and the plane has had coat after coat and I've almost used the entire can.  For all that, though, it looks good, with no runs on the paint and detail still visible underneath the paint layers.

z6Sp9C.jpg

Now to mask up for the blue bits.  I might add that my masking above makes it look as if there's going to be a step in the yellow between top and bottom of the wing, but this is not so.  I masked the wing with 5mm tape on both surfaces and pulled the tape around the wing edges, then added wider tape to the wing.nacelle area to keep overspray down.  Any hard edges will be flattened before the next coat with nail polish remover and a little wet and dry paper.  I've also been working on the undercarriage, which will go on after painting and unmasking.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Nice looking build of an interesting aircraft and colourful scheme.

I'm curious as to why you haven't used a white base coat for the yellow though.

The brightness of all primary colours benefit hugely from it.

I dread to think the thickness of paint the black basecoaters need to use. 

Hi Chek,

Thanks for your comment.  The reason I haven't used a white base coat is that I haven't seen any sort of white primer in the shops here in Perth.  I primed the model first in Tamiya fine grain primer and I did think of putting a coat of flat white over the portions painted yellow, but I find white is as bad as yellow regarding coverage,  In the end, it's turned out well, I think.

Progress to date:  It's painted, decals on and has had the first coat of clear.  All other colours have gone on well, with only 2 coats needed.  Here's the blue finish.

4PziYz.jpg

After this, I flatted the edges of the over spray with nail polish remover and a gentle sand with fine and worn wet & dry paper.  After masking of all painted areas, the silver was applied.

0tkuVc.jpg

In the shot above, you'll notice that I've started painting the pitot.  After the white had dried, I measured out 9 segments and painted the red stripes in place, and the black tip was also painted on.  Next the decals went on.

ZvIE20.jpg

The first decal I put on was the under wing serial number.  Or I should say tried to put on.  I left the decal in water a moment too long and it totally curled up on itself when I tried to slide it off the paper, irretrievably so.  The other decals went on well after this, except for the wing walk markings.  They're in place well enough in the end, but it was a battle.  Most broke into 2 or 3 pieces as I we trying to put them into place.  Next time, I'll paint them as this would have been easier.  As to the missing under wing serial, I have another on the way, though I don't think it will get here before I finish the rest of the work.

So it's almost done.  Next up is another coat of clear, and paint the flat black glare panel in front of the wind shield.  Then I'll add the wingtip and tail lights, pull off the last of the masking and the sponge I have stuffed up the engine intakes and undercarriage wells, then mount the undercarriage and doors and and that will be that.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

The glare panel is one of the things I mentioned earlier, and will be going on tomorrow.  My model has had it's final clear coat today, and I'll then mask off and paint the flat black panel  Then, with trepidation, I will unmask the canopy.  I always hold my breath at that point :unsure: .  I remember your build of this, Kevin, and have it bookmarked for inspiration for my attempt.  I've never built a model in any South American markings so I thought I'd do something a bit different to my usual.  Using the kit decals kept the cost down, much to my wife's relief, and I'd spent more than the HKM kit cost me on the Profimodeller and Eduard additions.  Best I don't tell her what I have in mind for my next Meteor :wicked:

Cheers,

Michael

Finished!!!  Here it is at last, and I'm very happy with it.

X4ZDzL.jpg

You can see the mangled under-wing serial number in the shot above, but I have a replacement on it's way, so no problem there.  A few more views:

lNmqhv.jpg

CSf9Sb.jpg

fyyFPJ.jpg

4BYnkI.jpg

hAa1Px.jpg

jOWAYt.jpg

Y5RZv3.jpg

A little extra plumbing and brake hydraulics added, with thanks to Kais for the shots of the brakes posted earlier in this thread.  I haven't followed them exactly, as both cables should run down the left side of both U/C legs, but the kit wheels have definite left and right wheels, so because the brakes are therefore handed as such, I was not able to exactly replicate those photos.

SEDqmf.jpg

B7buAg.jpg

This is a subject that I have wanted in 1/32 scale for many, many years, and this kit doesn't disappoint.  It's a pity that HKM didn't make it as detailed as, say, their Dornier DO-335, as the kit is a bit basic.  That said, it still builds into a nice model and what is there is well done and fits well.  With after market additions, it's a beauty.  I liked it enough that I've ordered another one, but I'll also get a conversion set to make that as a T7 or F8.  I haven't decided which, yet, but I did read today that there may also be a night fighter conversion in the future, so maybe that could be my next Meatbox.  I hope one day that HKM will make a companion to this, such as a DeHavilland Vampire.

However, before building the next Meteor, I have to make a decision as to the next one from my present stash to build.  You folks know how it is - eeny, meeny, miney, mo.......

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

• 1 year later...

Please excuse resurrecting an old build, but the pictures were on photobucket.  I've decided to restore the pics from my new Photoshack account, given this build has the Profimodeller engine so it may be of some help to others.  In other news, I'm assembling the components of my next Meteor build which I hope to start next year.  Now I'm off to close the said PB account, and thank them very little.

But here's another pic of my Meatbox.  This was a thoroughly enjoyable build.

HV5lYL.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Thanks Kevin.  It was a little time consuming, but I feel like it was well worth it. 

Regarding this kit, I've just had a look on HKM's webite and can't find it listed any more.  Has it been discontinued??  If so, I'm doubly glad I bought another one for me next Meteor project.  Hope the early jet market in "our" scale isn't shrinking.  I like these early jets and it's a pity there isn't more available, such as a decent 1/32 Vampire.  That's one that I would snap up Immediately.

Cheers,

Michael