1/72 Hasegawa B-47

b757captain

Hi guys,

I stray once in a while into other scales and I decided to raid the stash for what I thought would be a relatively easy build. Um, nope! She became a shelf-sitter several times while I recovered from one mess after another. I finally decided to end my misery and just finish her.

It's definitely an old mold, lots of flash, parts fit is mediocre but not terrible. I added the Pavla Models resin cockpit, resin intake and exhaust, and True Details wheels. I honestly would not recommend the cockpit. It is a nice molding and fits pretty well but there just isn't enough to see, plus the Interior Green makes things in the pit too dark for any detail to stand out. The cockpit does come with a vac canopy - I would recommend that over the kit piece but you can get the canopy separately. The intake and exhausts are nice but in this scale tiny improvements are, well, tiny. The wheels are a big step up though from the kit parts.

Paint was going to be AK aluminum with shaded panels. This first attempt led to one of the shelvings. I'm at a loss to explain why but after a good primer coat the molding streaks in the original plastic showed through! I would expect that if painting on bare plastic but none of the streaks showed in the primer. And they are all over the airplane - just about every panel line had weird ghosts. So, I let it sit for a while to think about how bad it had been then overcoated everything with MM Aluminum. Multiple coats later the ghosting faded to a point I could live with. Kit decals were surprisingly good. There's not much variation in markings, not much in the way of markings and no stencils so decalling was easy. In the end I was just happy to finish her:

gdCxjZc.jpg

WisUo87.jpg

CwDYvXn.jpg

oCGD3Xc.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by b757captain

Mark, you did her justice, i always liked the B47, ever since its first appearance decades ago as a  Revell "box-scale" kit, looking great.

Jack.