Special Hobby 1/32 scale He-100

Gazzas

HI everyone,

Anyone every built the above mentioned beast?  I have seen from pictures that it doesn't have many parts.  Is the surface detail remarkable?  Wheel well and cockpit detail?  AM?

I've built one model of a lesser known/documented plane from WWII and wasn't really happy with the lack of detail.  I guess when I bought it via the interweb, I was expecting that the company who made and sold it was privy to more information than I could glean via google.

I've always liked the idea of the He-100.  A super-clean design built for speed.  But I don't like to waste money, either.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

Guest Airfixer

I built one back in 2009.

Definitely one of my most pleasant encounters with regard to limited-run multi-media kits.

Surface detaling is flawless...finely scribed and sharp details all over. Fit was reasonably well, requiring only very few puttying and sanding.

On the other hand, overall detailing of the cockpit and the wheel wells is somewhat limited. The wheel wells in particular.

Not because Special Hobby did a sloppy job on the He 100D, but I'd mainly attribute the absence of detail to the general lack of respective technical and photographic documentation.

And yet,  and despite its "deficiencies", I'd rate the Special Hobby kit well worth an investment. Far from being a waste of money.

Erik

Downloadable PDF of the kit's assembly guide on scalemates:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/4/6/106446-59-instructions.pdf

urFhGuA.jpg

isqCRXq.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

Yes. I'd almost be willing to bet that there is at least one of the originals still somewhere in Russia. I sometimes wonder how many rare german tanks, and airplanes they have stashed as well.

They owned one and they took a lot of photos (posted some of them in one of the He-100 builds here) but it is gone.

Kitwise: Some people claim that the canopy is too wide. The fix is to spread the fuselage a little bit by inserting strip styrene between the fuselage halves.

Regards

- dutik

Guys,

Thank you for your replies.  I really dig the airframe.  I think I'd be tempted to do it as a WIF in 74/75/76.  I wonder if I might research the He-70 to see how Heinkel did a cockpit.

The Japanese had one, too.  I saw a video of it being flown by a Japanese test pilot.  He had a huge smile on his face after the flight.

Cheers!

Other than the prototypes, there were only 12 that flew operationally

as factory defenders for a short time near the beginning of the war.

Eventually they decided the factory was too far from England to worry

about it being bombed (oops) so the ceased the operation and no record

of what happened to the 12 a/c has ever been found.

I have the kit simply because it qualifies under my main criteria for purchasing

any kit and that is a high number on the coolness factor scale. I think it

looks like a fun project of a rare (and cool) airplane.

During my research I could only find 2 pix of the IP and port side of the cockpit

and a sketch of what the seat 'may' have looked like (from the side at least) :

He100panel.png

He100port.png

He100seat.png

Thanks for posting the photos and drawings.  I've never seen them before.

I imagine that they were recycled during the war to make newer types, aluminium being in high demand, and all.  Just another historical footnote that will never yield all of it's secrets.

Hah!  I tried Googling RoG Models and didn't even come close to Revell.

How long has it been since they released something new?  I'm not known to pay too much attention, but the last thing I saw Revell release was a repop if ICM's Do215 in quarter scale.