Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Thanks guys!

Richard, I am very happy that my posts have encouraged you to scratch build! The Mustang pouch with the zipper is really top notch and that worn wood floor is something I looked at and thought this is a technique I have to remember!

Here's what has been done in the last days.

I painted the main wheel wells with Alclad aluminium. Now there are many little bits to paint in RLM 02 in that area plus final assembly of various details.

pFnrrBT.jpg

The brass sections have been epoxied in place to cure the wing warp.

PZ3Vu6a.jpg

The wing slats will be represented open so, before cutting away, I reinforced the leading edges with epoxy putty, before taping the wings halves together until the putty sets.

m1c0zhV.jpg

Ckuawtp.jpg

Then the halves are taken apart, the slats cut from the top and bottom sections of the wings and joined together. When the wing halves are joined, the top part rests on the epoxy, maintaining the wing profile!

Ox9XDgX.jpg

The slat back in place to trace the position of the sliding rails. 

GrRLLoF.jpg

I made a little sample of the colors I need to paint the aircraft: RLM 02 gray, 76 light blue and its green variation.

Here is the Tamiya sample of 02 next to the Monogram color chip: quite a bit dark! Actually, the Japanese army grey is closer!

uwc44y7.jpg

Centre is the mix of both grays to make a pretty good match.

pMuJSxs.jpg

Next is the RLM 76 which is XF-23 with a lot of white, almost 1:1. the green variation is Sky out of the bottle and looks OK.

FdP5EP7.jpg

OK, it is 0:00 tonight on June1st and it is slowly dawning on me that my project might not be finished at the deadline!

But I will continue, and once more, I thank you all for your comments! I watch all the builds and it is really motivating! I have not finished a model for myself in 10 years and this forum has been so much help to get me back building for fun!

The next GB is fantastic as I must be the champion in the Shelf Of Doom category. Although I do plan that all the kits there will be built, some have been waiting for more than 25 years....

Thanks, Shawn. I will finish this one!

Kevin, you can move it to the new GB. While not exactly from the shelf of doom, I can say that the 262 will be saved from going there by this new GB!

Also, if you have time, why not participate with your X-1? The trouble with the fit of the rocket nozzles has been adressed in a number of builds, even here on LSP.

Regards,

Alain

Thanks, Shawn. I will finish this one!

Kevin, you can move it to the new GB. While not exactly from the shelf of doom, I can say that the 262 will be saved from going there by this new GB!

Also, if you have time, why not participate with your X-1? The trouble with the fit of the rocket nozzles has been adressed in a number of builds, even here on LSP.

Regards,

Alain

All moved! Sadly, I don't have any time at all for modelling at the moment. The combination of trying to launch a new business while being primary carer for my family during my wife's treatment for breast cancer, means that I have very little time or energy for much else. Performing my numerous LSP duties soaks up whatever's left of me.

Kev

• 2 months later...

Thank you Gene!

I have worked a bit on the wing slats in the past few days. I am out of town a few days, so I hope I can show the progress on the 262 sometimes next week!

I have been very busy preparing many molds this summer, so I didn't have much chance to work on the project since my last post in June.

Alain

PS I had answered Gene's post on August 13 or 14, but it seems to have disappeared somehow....

Edited by Alain Gadbois

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

Continuing where I left off back in May! I was very busy this summer and fall molding and casting resin mini spaceships for a company here in Montreal. Close to 2 000 from a rough calculation! 

Now I have a bit of time even if the deadline is close, but that makes it more exciting!

Here, with a bit of epoxy putty, I am creating the curved profile that will be visible under the deployed slats. Some epoxy is also applied under the slats, shaped with a plastic pen. Shown are the slats between the engine and fuselage.

1au4MNC.jpg

The outer slats have the panel line moved 8mm outboard.

9Dxmrgs.jpg

Their trailing edge thinned by scraping and sanding.

GoK4QL0.jpg

I am mixing a batch of RLM 76 starting with Tamiya's XF-23 Light Blue. I poured all this white and it is still too dark (and a bit more green but not that obvious in reality)!

3DxVwRu.jpg

IQ1eaFv.jpg

One last but very important item. At the very start of this build, I had problems getting a good fit between the wings and fuselage. A couple shims made the fit better, but at the end of May, I noticed that the dihedral was not pronounced enough. It seems the center section was the problem, as it was too flat. With all the detail added it appeared difficult to correct until last week when I thought of the following simple solution: cutting a vertical section out of the added styrene parts, where it will not be visible. 2 glued strips will pull these together and hopefully correct the dihedral and also remove the important gap between top wings and fuselage.

GBlOFQh.jpg

That's it for tonight, I have to add some epoxy to finish all the slats openings. Next I have to finish the gear legs and some details inside the gear bays before closing them up.

I don't think the kit can be finished completely next week, but if I can have it assembled and on its legs, I will be very happy!

Regards,

Alain

Hi all!

More on the slats.  After the epoxy putty is dry, the top and bottom wings are separated and now it becomes very easy to sand the epoxy to the desired shape.

EZgyJDw.jpg

Here is how it looks when nearly done, with still a few defects to fill in. On the left wing, the slots for the slat support arms have been cut out.

hLvCJQu.jpg

The wing in place temporarily shows the small step from the top of the wing, and the general look.

v76SXZw.jpg

Another bit it is time to see to: the cameras under the fuselage.

I glued 2 hardened drops of black resin to styrene tubing to represent the camera lenses. Then I created the lower section of the cameras with styrene and brass tubes. Nothing else will be visible. I sanded back the resin drops to the diameter of the tube so it will fit inside the camera parts. Little shims were added to the brass parts to keep the cameras centered in their respective openings inside the fuselage.

9T2U4ns.jpg

lfGh4gp.jpg

9uHP3cH.jpg

All this detail is pure invention by me so please don't use this as reference! However it looks quite convincing and I am happy with the result. In the end, clear circular covers will be added to the openings in the fuselage.

Bye for now!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois