Aussie Mossie, RNZAF Trainer

Anthony in NZ

About time you gave into temptation Anthony.  Can't wait to see how this one comes together.  Besides the obvious second controls in the cockpit, do you have to get new cowl panels, or can you correct the kit ones?

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks Brian

Looks great so far!   This kit has to be arguably the best kit I have in my stash..............if I consider cost of what I paid VS what is in the box, molding technology, molding quality, overall detail, and build-ability. 

This looks really great so far Anthony, and like Iain, I can really appreciate something different (I have all the necessary AM and custom scratched additions for the the FB Mk XVIII Tsetse Im plannin including a 57mm rifle bored barrel and ammo).

Looking forward to continued progress!

The FB XVIII will be waaay cool, I just love that version of Mosquito. In fact it was one I seriously considered. Thanks for following along!

Thanks Andy and Ollie

Hope I don't disappoint, this is one I really want to plough through and finish to give me mojo back. I have a pile of spares coming from the UK for my Auster T7 rebuild which gives me a breather to do some modelling!

Cheers guys and thanks!

About time you gave into temptation Anthony.  Can't wait to see how this one comes together.  Besides the obvious second controls in the cockpit, do you have to get new cowl panels, or can you correct the kit ones?

Heya Matt....lol, yes I ask for forgiveness for I am a weak man! That Tamiya kit is just so nice (I am trying not to be biased) but they really have captured the details beautifully. There are a couple of areas I will tweak, but otherwise they did an awesome job.

Regarding the side cowls, I am sure the kit ones can be modified, but I have chosen to do her later on in service with the British cowls fitted....then I can put the MDC RP rails on when they do them. I think a trainer with rails fitted will look quite good.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Andy and Ollie

Hope I don't disappoint, this is one I really want to plough through and finish to give me mojo back. I have a pile of spares coming from the UK for my Auster T7 rebuild which gives me a breather to do some modelling!

Cheers guys and thanks!

Now that sounds like an interesting distraction. Have you got any photos of her?

Heya Matt....lol, yes I ask for forgiveness for I am a weak man! That Tamiya kit is just so nice (I am trying not to be biased) but they really have captured the details beautifully. There are a couple of areas I will tweak, but otherwise they did an awesome job.

Regarding the side cowls, I am sure the kit ones can be modified, but I have chosen to do her later on in service with the British cowls fitted....then I can put the MDC RP rails on when they do them. I think a trainer with rails fitted will look quite good.

Cheers

Anthony

As long as the Tamiya build doesn't distract you from the big Airfix kit. You know that one needs to get done too.  Then you can show them off together

Lol yes Matt, although I was thinking of putting her on the shelf of doom or getting rid of it...my friend Kerry reckons I should keep it.

Ok, been burning a bit of midnight oil on this one.  I have to say, what a fantastic build.  But I would say that you need to follow the instructions carefully.  That is something I find difficult to do........

Now I have been working a lot on the fuselage and if anyone is planning to do a Trainer then the circle for the drift sight bung needs to be removed. This was raised in the kit so was filed and sanded off as you can see here. Remember to remove the detail on the inside and sand the inner fuselage smooth to the contour of the inner surface. I got the modified floor fitting and have started making a new instrument panel...more on that later.

t43%20007_zps8hqe8e8u.jpg

t43%20006_zps5g7rlok1.jpg

t43%20002_zpsmfkifwwz.jpg

Glued the fwd and rear fuse sections together on each half. No probs there except I have sanded the reinforcing strip back a bit as I felt it may be slightly too prominent with those circles. Possibly not worth doing either....

Sorry for the poor pic

t43%20005_zps1qnpwyak.jpg

Oh, this seemed like a great idea in the middle of the night to cut this open! Except I forgot to take a resin 'splash mold' of the door before I cut it out...doh!

t43%20004_zpsasy5uzft.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks Brian, thanks Andy, much appreciated guys!

Just a bit of a tip to those building this Tamiya kit. I have noticed on my fuselage about where bulkhead No4 (part C7) glues in that the outer fuselage has a bit of a sink line, not much but with having a silver finish I dont want to take any risks. It was easy to fix by blocking it down with a flat surface or a sanding sponge or the like. Not a biggie but just check your kits, it is almost indiscernible.

Cheers

Anthony

Way to go Anthony! Great to see you finally succumbed to the call of the Tamiya Mossie. You've made a great start and I look forward to seeing what you'll do with this kit. Your trainer version will be a nice addition to the rest of the fighter bombers already being built.

I saw that Master had done the barrels, blast tubes, and cannon muzzles for this kit before Telford but they're still not listed on their website. Funny how the're available through e-bay though!?

RB Productions does some very nice radiator screens as well as the de-icing screens for the intakes. I'm waiting for those to arrive and hopefully BarracudaCast will have their ammo chutes out soon too.

Cheers,

Wolf ( who'll be following this build with great interest!)

Lol yes Matt, although I was thinking of putting her on the shelf of doom or getting rid of it...my friend Kerry reckons I should keep it.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

Don't bin it Anthony!  You've put so much work into it, you have to see it through. And I've wanted to see it done since I joined this great website.  Your friend is correct, you should keep it and finish it off.  Just to put it next to the Tamiya kit as a big brother.