1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

I like your work Joel, but you know that by now !.......Harv :popcorn:

Harv,

Thanks so much for those most kind words, it really means quite a lot to me.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Super progress on the Scooter and I have to admit how impressed I am with the entire slat assembly and the scratched gas dump valve. W

All the details will add up big once the Scooter is in primer.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

JA

Super progress on the Scooter and I have to admit how impressed I am with the entire slat assembly and the scratched gas dump valve. W

All the details will add up big once the Scooter is in primer.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for really appreciating especially the slat leading edge areas. Took a tremendous amount of time & effort, way past what I usually put into a detail. But it was well worth it.  Like I said, comparing it to my 1/48 scale Hasegawa Lady Jessie, it's like day & night.  I didn't mention it, but if you look at the bottom of the fuselage by the exhaust, you'll see two white pieces of plastic, all told there will be 4. They're replacement for Trumpeters so so molding of 4 more exhaust vent tubes.

BTW, does this update qualify for a free all expenses paid breakfast this Sunday at the diner :please:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Sweet

Oliver,

I'm impressed to say the least that you stopped by and had a look.  So glad that you liked what you saw enough to call my efforts "sweet". It's much appreciated.

Joel

Awesome update Joel! Got me some bondo as well....4X the size of a Tamiya tube and it cost LESS?!?!?

Shaka Hi,

Glad you liked my latest efforts on the Scooter.  I've got a few more coming, but nothing major by any means.

If you bought the Glazing Bondo, just remember to put a dollop on a piece of cardboard to wick up that extra liquid, it will make you life that much easier. I'm betting that you're going to love using it, and most of all, the results. Just please let me know.

Joel

Just catching up on your Scooter build Joel. There's quite a bit of progress since I last looked in.

I like your approach to the wing slats. If i ever get around to doing an A-4, I'll have to keep it in mind.

Carl

Joel, the Skyhawk is looking great! Glad you took care of that step and really impressed with how you handled those vortex generators, nice result. What is your concern with the Eduard bits?

Cheers,

Marcel

Just catching up on your Scooter build Joel. There's quite a bit of progress since I last looked in.

I like your approach to the wing slats. If i ever get around to doing an A-4, I'll have to keep it in mind.

Carl

Carl,

Much appreciated you stopping by. I'd be honored if you used my method for the wing slats.

Joel

Joel, the Skyhawk is looking great! Glad you took care of that step and really impressed with how you handled those vortex generators, nice result. What is your concern with the Eduard bits?

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the progress on my Scooter since your last visit.  I can assure you it's greatly appreciated.

If you're referring to the Eduard replacement Vortex Generators, I have a great deal of difficulty working with single pieces of PE, so the odds of getting all of the individual replacement ones on, isn't exactly in my favor.

Joel

I decided to take a break from working on the fuselage, and start the wings which have a few issues that need to be addressed. The 1st, and most serious issue is the slat area of each wing on the leading edge. Trumpeter copied the incorrect design of Hasegawa who just assumed that the slats needed a recessed area to help blend them into the wing when they're not deployed. Unfortunately, as must of you know, there is no such recess on the real Scooter wings. The slats just lay on top of the wings.  So I was faced with this issue:

KhPUjN.jpg

You can plainly see that there is a huge recessed well area that has a nasty step which needs to be removed. The most accepted method has been to just cut out the leading edge, glue on two pieces of sheet plastic to replace the lost plastic from the removal process, then glue to the top of the lip.  That does indeed remove the step, but now the top leading edge is shorter then the bottom leading edge, which is something I was leery about both for the proper placement of the slat actuating arms, and that it would throw off the proper angle of the slats.  I've seen a few builds where putty was just built up along the step, then sanded to shape. That method does indeed work, but the issue I have  with it is that the gradual slop down to the top of the leading edge would end up being to shallow and thus causing a concave look, when it should be a smooth consistent transition.

So after a few days of thinking about how to proceed I decided that I'd build up the area right in front of the step for a more controlled and gradual taper. I started with a strip of Evergreen .020  x .040 glued right up against the lip but leaving a slight lip for the start of the contour shaping.

8Sln5c.jpg

then I glued an additional strip of .010 x .040 to help with the contour.

CzQ5tn.jpg

When the Extra Thin had dried, I sanded the to form the basic shape but didn't want to feather it out completely, or the transition would have a slight concave look to it.

K1HWi1.jpg

I then applied a layer of Bondo Glazing #3 putty, then lightly sanded it to a feathered edge.

bsRnAU.jpg

Then I air brushed on a coat of Mig Ammo Gray Primer and looked for errors, which I had several, so a hand brushed on coat of Tamiya Gray Primer Sealer, and when dry sanded and polished it.

8sBpYF.jpg

You'll also notice that I have addressed the other Trumpeter issue, and that's the Vortex Generators that are way to thick. I really didn't like the option of removing them, then being replaced with the Eduard PE ones, as I'm 101% sure that I would have not only made a mess of the wing, but the end results wouldn't have been up to standards. So I taped off the front and back around them, and using a file thinned them out about to half thickness.

Here's the other wing that came out better of the two. While the Vortex Generators aren't in focus, you can get a sense of the narrowing I was able to accomplish.

aIld7M.jpg

Joel

Hmmmmm. Guess I'll have to fix this on my build.

Hmmmmm. Guess I'll have to fix this on my build.

John,

I didn't do either on my 1/48 scale build as you can plainly see in the picture. The overall finished model has been a favorite of mine for some time. But this time I wanted to do it right, at least to my some what limited abilities. If you really don't want to go through the modifications to remove the step, you can leave them as is, or how about having the slats in the up position? that would hide the step.

Joel

Joel,

I was wondering what you have been working on.  I haven't been able to catch an update, apparently.  Nice fix for the slats.  I spent a little time at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro in the 80's.  Watching the A4's and A6's going through their low-level paces was thrilling.  Touch and go's for carrier ops, just amazing.  While banking the a4's and a6's would deploy front flaps showing primer that looked blood-red against the anti-radar gray paint.  Very striking!

Keep up the good work!  I'll be watching.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Joel,

I was wondering what you have been working on.  I haven't been able to catch an update, apparently.  Nice fix for the slats.  I spent a little time at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro in the 80's.  Watching the A4's and A6's going through their low-level paces was thrilling.  Touch and go's for carrier ops, just amazing.  While banking the a4's and a6's would deploy front flaps showing primer that looked blood-red against the anti-radar gray paint.  Very striking!

Keep up the good work!  I'll be watching.

Gaz

Gary,

Thanks my friend for checking up on me. Just like old times for sure.  Glad that you've had a chance to catch up on my Scooter build. I'm really love'in it.

So when are you heading to Alaska? That's gotta be one long, very long airplane flight. Do you have your Dad's F102 ready for the trip?

Joel