Klinkity-Klank. Finished a Tank 23/07/17

Gazzas

Dust on the chassis and Friuls added:

171220.jpg

This time I added the pastels with a damp brush instead of sprinkling them and spraying with windex.  After that, a quick spritz with more windex and the next day, dusting with a paintbrush wherever windex and pastels had pooled noticeably.

All learning and experimenting for me. 

Gary,

Your armor skills are most impressive. The weathering on the chassis really looks quite good without it being overly done.  My personal opinion is that in far to many cases modelers over do the weathering to the point you can't see any of the paint. 

Joel

Joel,

Thank you very much for your kind compliments.  I'm still very much inexperienced in the ways of weathering.  Sometimes, some steps seem pointless because they make much of the previous step(s) of weathering disappear.  I would definitely be hesitant to make the original paint disappear, everywhere.

Then again, it's about trying to find that balance between plausibility and being visibly interesting.  So, I usually find myself going a little further with armor than I believe is necessary.

Gaz

Wow, that is expensive. If you meet a representative of Friul at an event in Germany you might get a set for just 22 Euros. But even local hobbyshops carry them for less than in US.

BTW, I have the same problem thet previous steps disappear during wheatering. I tend now to overdo the base color knowing it will get toned down a lot in the following process.

Regards

- dutik

Dutik,

I would expect the Friuls to be a lot less expensive in Europe.  They are made there.  But being made of lead, shipping them to other places farther away adds costs to the retailer.  There are probably cheaper places to buy them in the States, but Spruebrothers is the only US retailer that came to mind since I rarely buy my hobby stuff in the US.

True, they can cost as much as another kit. 

Gaz

Sometimes it is even cheaper to buy domestic stuff from Far East shops. They manufacturers sell and ship it to FE, the shop sends it back across the globe, and you get the stuff chaeper than buying from the manufacturer in the neighboring country. Crazy, but that is the global economy :mental: :wicked: 

Regards

- dutik

• 3 weeks later...

Before I took my holiday I got most of the plastic parts glued together.  Today I worked on the white-metal Schurzen.

153847.jpg

153825.jpg

The schurzen will be painted and weathered as a separate kit and then added after the weathering process.  I fear that detail painting the tools and stuff is gonna be much harder after applying the schurzen brackets.  The green stuff is liquid mask used to keep paint off surfaces I want to apply glue to.

Thanks for lookin!

Gaz

Joe,

Thank you!

The painting process for tanks...mine, that is.

First I paint the edges with a mixture of laquers that ends up in a color I call dull steel.  This is the base for my chipping efforts.  I don't really chip.  I don't like overdone chipping effects, even on tanks.

143332.jpg

What I do is use a 'weak' acrylic paint that I can rub off with a damp q-tip.  Then I just rub off areas where I think there will be excessive wear from contact with the crew's boots, hands, and brush.

Base coat applied...  early morning winter sun...

073958.jpg

My thoughts on Schurzen:  The fewer there are, the better the tank looks.  So, they've been suffering steady attrition.  First piece gone because the carpet monster claimed a bracket.  The second piece because a bracket fell off.  The third piece gone because the primer in the center of a panel had stuck to the box I had it in while drying.  So, I only have five of the eight originals.  I've tried to bend them up a little, but not too much.

Once the air Warms up today I'll start the three-tone camo.

Thanks fer lookin'!

Gaz