• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Anthony in NZ

Anthony in NZ

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:14 AM

Yes Gary, I remember making so many parts back in the 80's when I got more serious with my modelling.  I remember my favorite books were from the likes of Bryan Philpott and loving Scale Models arriving every month at the newsagent.  

Looks like I have gotten lazy in my older age!!!

Will post for you later on

Cheers

Anthony

#47 Anthony in NZ

Anthony in NZ

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

Here you go Gary, I have updated my Skyhawk thread...

http://forum.largesc...c=34146&page=15

Cheers
Anthony
  • harvey likes this

#48 thewizardofaz

thewizardofaz

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

Trimming exhaust casting.  I figure to ask and look stupid than to not ask and be stupid.  I think I see small exhaust fan blades inside the exhaust nozzles, so should I leave the casting blocks on the end of them?  I am going to attempt to make the center out of other kit tube castings, in the spots where you have the clear pieces so that I will have what actually looks like an engine.   I believe I probably should remove the casting blocks if I go that route.  If I screw it up, all that happens is you get to sell part of another kit or a whole new one.

• harvey likes this

#49 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Trimming exhaust casting.  I figure to ask and look stupid than to not ask and be stupid.  I think I see small exhaust fan blades inside the exhaust nozzles, so should I leave the casting blocks on the end of them?  I am going to attempt to make the center out of other kit tube castings, in the spots where you have the clear pieces so that I will have what actually looks like an engine.   I believe I probably should remove the casting blocks if I go that route.  If I screw it up, all that happens is you get to sell part of another kit or a whole new one.

yes,  just remove the casting block.  I do have the fan and the exhaust run up nozzle as separate parts.  you should have told me that you were displaying the engine an I could have sent a set ILO the combo part.

• harvey likes this

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

dd34971d-1dff-4d25-b610-dddb8f8ab69c_zps

#50 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Gary, your ears must be burning because your name came up in the Bf-110-G thread about your being the only candidate to cast the replacement parts needed to upgrade the Dragon Bf-110-C or more likely, E/F. There are a number of us who would gladly pre-order that from you.

Edited by Bill Cross, 14 August 2017 - 05:43 PM.

• harvey likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#51 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,043 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

Ditto Bill....Harv

• Bill Cross likes this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#52 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Gary, your ears must be burning because your name came up in the Bf-110-G thread about your being the only candidate to cast the replacement parts needed to upgrade the Dragon Bf-110-C or more likely, E/F. There are a number of us who would gladly pre-order that from you.

Thanks for the compliment, but what is a BF-110-G?   

• harvey and Dragon like this

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

dd34971d-1dff-4d25-b610-dddb8f8ab69c_zps

#53 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the compliment, but what is a BF-110-G?   

The Bf-110 was a twin-engine fighter/bomber developed by the Luftwaffe that proved to be a failure as a fighter (too slow and lightly-armed), but which did better as a bomber on the Eastern Front. But it found its true calling as a night fighter (the G-4 variant) because the extra room allowed it to carry a hefty radar array and some nasty armament.

Dragon has released several Bf-110s in our scale, and they are superb kits bulging with detail. But not the coveted G variant. There is a nightfighter version (E/F IIRC), but whatever the base kit it would need:

1. larger engine nacelles (this is the most-obvious variation)
  2. flame dampers for the exhausts
  3. a reconfigured nose
  4. larger rudders
  5. larger props and blades
  6. a slightly reconfigured 'pit with the radar equipment
  7. a Schraege Musik array of 20mm cannon pointed upwards out the rear of the cockpit
  8. Belly cannon array.

Have I left anything out, Gents?

There are other things like wing tanks that are available from people like Eagle Editions, but which you could include to bump up the price, or leave out if things get too pricey.

Two different companies have tried to come up with conversions for the Dragon kits (not to mention the ancient Jerry Rutman resin set for the even older Revell Bf-110 kit), but tanked for one reason or another. I'm quite certain you would have numerous takers here if you cast a complete set (less the PE radar antennas which are available on the AM). You could do like Eli does and take the requisite number of pre-orders before going whole hog. That way you could control the project.

Why you? It's not your era or specialty, but frankly you're our last, best hope for getting a conversion. Dragon has shown ZERO inclination to release the G variant, and has not released a 110 kit in our scale in 5 (???) years.

(Cue the begging and wailing from the peanut gallery).

Edited by Bill Cross, 15 August 2017 - 03:19 PM.

• harvey likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#54 thewizardofaz

thewizardofaz

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

yes,  just remove the casting block.  I do have the fan and the exhaust run up nozzle as separate parts.  you should have told me that you were displaying the engine an I could have sent a set ILO the combo part.

I didn't make the decision to do a display until I looked at your photos a number of times.  You photos made me think that I could do it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users