1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Go with the grass base.

The judges can pull out their dental mirrors.

And eat their cold, little hearts out...

Funny!   I thought for SURE id see some judges with them in hand at the 2017 NATs, but they either pulled them out after everyone disappeared or they didnt use them.  

They sure were toting their flashlights around though prior to everyone leaving the judging tables however.  I wouold have thought that with models that are big and heavy like this or my SU, a dental mirror would be perfect. You cant expect every single member to use a mirror below their models. 

Though I normally prefer natural bases, in this case considering the amount of work you have done on the underside I think the mirror is the way to go. And by visually increasing the size of your model, you will blow the judges away!

I think your airfield base would work better for a 1/32nd aircraft. It looked a little small for this 1/18 scale beast!

The scale 1/5 Spitfire in Hendon and the scale 1/5 Mustang in Duxford are both displayed on mirrors and are absolute joys to behold. I often spent a long time looking at all the amazing craftsmanship that went into making those models. This model is the next closest thing to those models and "spectators" MUST be allowed to admire all the work that went into it. Please display it on a mirror when you show it to others, so that they can see the detail underneath. For your own display at home, you can make a base. 

Radu 

Guest Vincent

..take 2...

..I like it much better :)

TTFN

Peter

So do I

This is a marvellous piece of modelling you gave us !!!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Vincent

I'll let you decide for yourself on which base you're going to use Peter. I just want to say that this is some awesome craftsmanship that you've shown here in making this Spitfire for all of the rest of us to drool over. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Cheers,

Brady

I am no big fan of the mirror you have used. IMHO, it is lacking contrast with the aircraft color (quite natural, as the mirror is just polished aluminium, when you think about it).

The grass base was good, but the shape matching the one of the aircraft makes the effect strange and un-natural. You would probably have been better off with a square grass base ...

You could try a smoke-grey mirror, or something similar, dark-colored. I am thinking of the one used for buildings (or, btw, the gas-cooking plate I have at home ;) ). This way, you would get the benefit of the mirror, with some contrast with the aluminium aircraft ...

Whatever you choose, the result is splendid. It goes without saying, but it is even better with saying it :) ...

Hubert

I am no big fan of the mirror you have used. IMHO, it is lacking contrast with the aircraft color (quite natural, as the mirror is just polished aluminium, when you think about it).

The grass base was good, but the shape matching the one of the aircraft makes the effect strange and un-natural. You would probably have been better off with a square grass base ...

You could try a smoke-grey mirror, or something similar, dark-colored. I am thinking of the one used for buildings (or, btw, the gas-cooking plate I have at home ;) ). This way, you would get the benefit of the mirror, with some contrast with the aluminium aircraft ...

Whatever you choose, the result is splendid. It goes without saying, but it is even better with saying it :) ...

Hubert

Hi Hubert - I agree and that is what I was originally worried about with a mirror...

However, I have a cunning plan from the professor of cunning at cunning university - I took the mirror to a car place that tints windows and they are adding a smoke mirror tint to it leaving a 1cm border of 'normal' mirror all the way round

should look much better after that and give good contrast between the model and the base, but still allow all the details underneath to be seen

pick it up tomorrow so will post a pic

TTFN

Peter