F-16 Experts need help on a Block 20 Vertical Tail

Smokey

Hey everyone I started a new project and I got Jake Melampy book on the Early Viper Guide and I can't find any pictures to help me with my problem.  I am thinking I need to fill this area in but would be nice to have a picture of this area.  I'm looking at doing a Luke AFB with the extended parachute tail housing page 15 in his book.  I'm working with a KASL Hobby Vertical Tail Set for the 1/32 scale F-16A.   I think the bottom should be flat and not have this area that is circled in red there.  I apologize for the fuzzy picture.    Dan  

fUqIRY.jpg

That troph is part of the nacelle ejector system. It's quite overdone, a little deep but that tube is way too big. It should also be a couple baffles on either side of the two and of course that tube shouldn't really be there being that large.

I can post some pictures but not now since I am at work for the evening.

Also note they and inaccurately added a notch to the right lower rudder. The notch is only on the left, not the right.

Mike V

Edited by Viper Enforcer

Mike,  Thanks for the information on the notch on the rudder.  I did look at pictures I took and didn't catch that will have to fix that to.  As for pictures to my problem on the underside of tail the nacelle ejector system I will wait until you post pictures for me and see if I can correct it to look like the real thing.  Thanks again Mike for the help and will probably reach out to you for more assistance.

Dan

Dan, I looked at the two very hi res photos I have of that area and can say that even at extreme magnification (10x the photo below) and even with extreme brightening the rectangular recess is all that's visible. Certainly no obvious projections within. Much more prominent by far would be the serrated panel line on the edging of the end cap.

37865059795_03f852096d_o.jpg

Edited by Chek

Chek thanks for the link.  This is the one I am doing.  If you blow it up and look you can faintly tell that the tail has what Mike talk about the nacelle ejection system.  I did manage to get the over size resin tube out without damaging anything very soft resin.  The Belgian one is a little different in that mine doesn't have the serrated panel line.  Will have to start a build thread on this one.  

eonYQ4.jpg

Got to leave it to the 31 squadron in having very colorful tiger painted F-16's for tiger meets.  

Dan

You're welcome. The scheme was on F-16A Blk20 MLU FA-87 31 Sqn, the Belgian Air Force's Tiger Scheme for 2004,

and Luc Colin's mini walkaround can be found on Prime Portal in 2592x1944 hi-res here:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/f-16_block_20_mlu/

I'm nitpicking, but a MLU is NOT the same animal as a Block 20.  A jet that received the MLU upgrade retains its original Block status.  A Block 20 is a new-build jet.  

I'm nitpicking, but a MLU is NOT the same animal as a Block 20.  A jet that received the MLU upgrade retains its original Block status.  A Block 20 is a new-build jet.  

Cheers Jake. Luc's usually a reliable witness, but as he is (or at least was) an AWACS man I'll defer to your correction and re-label my photos folder.

I had thought the Carrapace passive RWR block was the only difference. Perhaps that fixture accounts for the serrated beefing up of the end of the pod too. I'll fix the caption on this post for future travellers as well.

Edited by Chek

Jake's right; Block 20 is not the same as MLU. MLU is a conversion to existing F-16A/B Vipers while Block 20 is a production built "hybrid F-16A/B"; with Block40/50ish Avionics and Block 40 wings, C/D tail cap, etc...

Dan, I sent you those photos via email, as I photo bucket no longer lets me post photos; unless I pay for their premium hosting.

Mike V

Jake's right; Block 20 is not the same as MLU. MLU is a conversion to existing F-16A/B Vipers while Block 20 is a production built "hybrid F-16A/B"; with Block40/50ish Avionics and Block 40 wings, C/D tail cap, etc...

Dan, I sent you those photos via email, as I photo bucket no longer lets me post photos; unless I pay for their premium hosting.

Mike V

Mike-is there a guide for the different parabrake housings?

All the European,Turkish,Polish,Greek etc?

All the updates and upgrades(too many blocks and countries) ))))))

By the way-a convenient image storage(like Photobucket used to be)-   https://postimages.org/

Isaac