I've only just caught up with this, and what a start you've made.

It's so satisfying beating these kits into submission, and it looks like you're doing exactly that.

I'm a big fan of Halfords Filler Primer - for builds such as this it's so effective and gives you a beautiful surface to work from.

Will follow with much interest!

Tom

Thank you all for your encouraging comments, all very much appreciated as is any guidance.  Tom, I've followed many of your challenging but beautiful vac builds, most recently your Shack and it's techniques and tips that I've learned from you which has prompted this Anson, including the use of P38 and Halford's filler primer, so thank you for that.

Lurking in the back of my mind is the undercarriage.  Two rudimentary oleos are all that's provided but the Anson's are quite elegant in their design, though not so easy to build from scratch:

DSCN2627_zps2ha8be9q.jpg

The oleos I intend making from metal rod, shouldn't be a problem I hope but the curved rearward bracing section which fits flush with the underside of the nacelle when retracted is more difficult.  I've got a couple of ideas about building up layers of plastic but I'd welcome thoughts from more experienced modellers.

Regards

Max

PS: Tom, I'm sure you're on half-term at the moment......I'm here to tell you that there is life beyond teaching especially when you reach retirement age!

Edited by mozart

Hey Max drop me an Email to model.maker@hotmail.com I have a ton of Anson Restoration Photos. I've restored two Anson Cockpit sections one is MG197 and the other LV726 and have been involved in the restoration of A4-37 and Ax267 all Aussie Mk1's check MG197 out in the Anson files. There are a number of differences between the Aussie mk1's and Canadian Variants.

Cheers

Sean

I didn't see it mentioned, does the kit have clear parts or do you have to make them up?

Don

There is a cockpit canopy Don, vacuformed of course but with no frame lines on it so masking and painting that will be interesting! There's also an astrodome, which I will be using and a gun turret which I won't. Nothing for the side windows though but that's the least of my worries.

Max

Hey Max drop me an Email to model.maker@hotmail.com I have a ton of Anson Restoration Photos. I've restored two Anson Cockpit sections one is MG197 and the other LV726 and have been involved in the restoration of A4-37 and Ax267 all Aussie Mk1's check MG197 out in the Anson files. There are a number of differences between the Aussie mk1's and Canadian Variants.

Cheers

Sean

Email on its way Sean, thanks for the contact. :)

Max

So here's how I'm tackling the raised tape/lattice surface.  Using 6mm tape I masked off the flatter canvas areas of the rudder leaving clear gaps where the tape would have been applied:

DSCN9988_zps11odgzxo.jpg

Then I sprayed the whole rudder with three light coats of Halford's primer filler, as its name suggests having a slightly thicker viscosity to normal primer.  When dry enough I started to remove the masking tape:

DSCN9989_zpsbqyzsw9c.jpg

and after a few minutes the thing was complete:

DSCN9990_zps2j0esghj.jpg

Tomorrow when the paint has fully cured I'll pass a fine sanding block over the surface just to take off the rough edges, but I have to say I'm delighted with the results and can see me using this technique in many places on the Anson, not just the wings.  All credit goes to Iain for showing this routine on his Revell Spitfire build to create the effect of overlapping surfaces.  Just the other side to do now!

Max

Edited by mozart