Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

I am really enjoying watching this come together - I started one but didn't get too far before getting distracted by something else so I am living that build through you :)

It will make for one impressive model when done - do you have a scheme planned? I was going to do a dark blue French aeronavale one as they had a few - think the one I liked was also used as an HS293 testbed in that scheme

..I remember getting frustrated by struggling to find references too, so if you need any, I did build up pretty much most of what could be found out there - particularly in the cockpit so let me know if I can help..

Peter

Thanks for looking in Peter, As you say, its pretty frustrating trying to find good, clear reference shots especially of the cockpit internals.

Finally decided on a scheme now and decided on an E-1 Z6 + DM of JG66.

ju188e-c2.jpg

Was initially going to do an F-1 with splinter scheme but in the end this one won the day. Love the French scheme's but wanted to build one with the turret fitted.

Regards. Andy

Nice build Andy, heard good things about AIMS, that cockpit is stunning straight out of the wrapper.......

Pulling a chair up..........

Thanks Phil, The AIMS stuff is fantastic, the cockpit is stunning straight from the box and a really good starting point to take things to the next level.

Regards. Andy

Love the  188!

Will be watching this one with Great interest!.. i have one of these too, so interested to see your building approach..

Best of luck

Phil

Thanks for following along Phil, its a great conversion and really enjoying the build.

Regards. Andy

Wow Andy!

I have yet to master the courage to do such an extensive modification yet alone decide on a subject.

Your work so far is very precise and detailed!  :bow:

More updates please!!!  :popcorn:

Managed to get a little work done this week but photo bucket is not playing ball with me today. hopefully get an update on later.

Regards. Andy

Managed to make a little progress this week, filling and blending in the upper fuselage spine panel, also turned my attention to the replacement resin tail fin and rudder. All cleaned up quite nicely followed by drilling and pinning ready for installation.

20170608-211822.jpg

and dropped onto place for a quick test fit after drilling the locating holes in the upper fuselage.

20170608-212018.jpg

20170608-212006.jpg

Decided to try one of RB productions scribing tools on this build so just waiting for that to arrive, in the mean time I will get a coat of primer on in readiness.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Looking good!

This will be stunning when it's completed and all painted up.

Great work.

Thanks Dean, really enjoying the build. not easy but very satisfying as I'm sure you will agree as you work through your build.

Regards. Andy

Made a start on grafting the BMW engine nacelles into place, at first glances they look like they look like they will be a nightmare to fit but after some careful trimming they fitted into place really nicely.

20170610_140509.jpg

Then removed the rear section I needed from the kits engine nacelle.

20170610_142049.jpg

Followed by a quick dry fit and so far all looks good to me.

20170610_151924.jpg

I have the Profimodeller wheel well set for this build, initially I was going to build it with all the bay doors open but as you don't really see them like this in most of the pictures I have studied I don't think I will bother, either way I think a trip to RAF Cosford is in order this week to get some shots up in the the wheel wells of their Ju-88 as if I remember rightly it currently has no doors fitted and so fully open.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Wish the nacelles on mine fit that well.  I've trimmed the hell out of them then gave up hoping I could figure out something else.

Thanks for looking in, I trimmed very, very little resin away and found it was the some careful trimming of the kit needed to get the fit and this was the same for both sides.

Regards. Andy