P-39 D1 Airacobra (G. Welch)

Tomek

'bout time....... :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike for dropping by!

I know. For some reason each next build gets longer and longer. Lets blame family distractions ;) .

I remember on the old forum I wanted to keep up with your speed, but I got quickly disillusioned that it's possible ...

I'll risk annoying you - I repeated it so many times - but I miss your presence on the forums...

Fantastic Tomek!!! What a great build. You should be very pleased as it is a fantastic result.

Matt, I owe you! I really appreciate your comments, suggestions and various tips during this build. Big thanks! :bow: :bow:

I hope I can stalk you more in the future :wicked:

Edited by Tomek

Tomek, Absolutely stunning work and fully recyclable as well :) During your build I felt like a cave man in the storm.... post after post mesmerized by the the lightning of your craftsmanship and patience, looking for explanation of this magnificent occurrence. :bow:

M.

Considering the medium used to construct this model, your work is nothing short of amazing! I was following along with your in progress posts and the finished model definitely has "WOW factor. Very impressive indeed Sir!

Cheers,

Wolf

Not much more I can add Tomek other than brilliant work, sir! You are correct about the Soviets liking the Airacobra (which they called simply "Kobra"). In the hands of their aces it was quite a good fighter at medium to low altitudes. Three out of the top four Soviet aces got most of their kills on the Kobra (Aleksander I. Pokryshkin - 59 total kills, Nikolai Gulaev - 57 total kills, and Grigoriy A. Rechkalov - 56 total kills). Maybe now you can do a P-39Q in Soviet markings - Pokryshkin, maybe, or Rechkalov...

Regards,

Jason

I'll risk annoying you - I repeated it so many times - but I miss your presence on the forums...

Hey! Dems fightin' words!!! ;)

Thanks Tomek, really appreciate it. Just too many external forces at play right now.....:(

Tomek ,excellent work sir! I'm scratching my head over this build.Really great work...she looks spot-on...

Thank you Dave! I appreciate it ^_^

Reminds me of that TV commercial from the 80's "I can't believe it is not butter!"

I can't believe that is paper....

I'm amazed as well how these new, computer era paper kits can look. This one I think can be put in lower high-end category. Just imagine what really skilled modeler could do to some paper equivalent of Hasegawa! I've seen such builds and they are really jaw dropping :blink:

Tomek, Absolutely stunning work and fully recyclable as well :) During your build I felt like a cave man in the storm.... post after post mesmerized by the the lightning of your craftsmanship and patience, looking for explanation of this magnificent occurrence. :bow:

M.

Wow, Martin what a metaphor :blush:

I thought they recycle plastic in Canada as well :P.

To be honest I recycle my models twice. First they become toys for my son - after months of his nagging to play with it I tend to give them to him. Then, when he's bored and from a model only a stump left, as good citizen, I recycle them. After all, the process of building is important, it's saves some shelf space too!

Considering the medium used to construct this model, your work is nothing short of amazing! I was following along with your in progress posts and the finished model definitely has "WOW factor. Very impressive indeed Sir!

Thank you Wolf! Again paper (or card as some prefer to call it) is natural for me. That's the medium I started my modeling trip, so doesn't seem so difficult to me. Plastic on the other hand, that's just pure black magic :lol:

Not much more I can add Tomek other than brilliant work, sir! You are correct about the Soviets liking the Airacobra (which they called simply "Kobra"). In the hands of their aces it was quite a good fighter at medium to low altitudes.

Thanks Jason for looking in.

I'm not sure you've seen these videos, but just in case I'll post them. Quite interesting, from the period. I like the second one showing how much ammunition went into her. Pretty cool!

1. Flying the P-39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk9jh5RnmCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwksKXoDALI

Just too many external forces at play right now.....:(

I understand. I guess I'll just wait patiently.

Edited by Tomek

Great result Tomek ! I said it already, but this build got me 120 % convinced that aircraft models with their compound curves can be made in paper with a an as realistic result as in plastic.

Thanks for bringing the light on this site ! :party0023:

And again .... Wel done ! :clap2: :bow: :m0152:

Hubert

Thanks Hubert!!!

I need to admit that one of the reason why I wanted to post a WIP thread of a paper model on the forums was to contribute my share in bringing some recognition to the genre :blush:. Since year 2000 paper modeling has been rapidly changing and the results are very interesting. Publishers challenge modelers with more and more detailed kits, and modelers use more and more advanced techniques. There is growing aftermarket which incorporates what's already a standard for plastic modeling, for example dedicated photo-etched parts (popular at this point mostly in ship modeling). I think it's a very interesting period for this hobby and I love this medium. I hope it's interesting for you guys as well, because I want to build more here :evil_laugh:

Great job Tomek, it really looks the part! I have never seen a well-built paper model before and am very impressed! I loved following your WIP and am looking forward to your next project!

Cheers,

Doug

Guest Peterpools

Tomek

I'm still speechless at the results. Just an amazing project and I hope I speak for everyone, that we now have a new found respect for paper modeling. Simply amazing results and a fantastic build.

The P-39 training film was a special treat and much enjoyed.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

I don't see that you failed anywhere on this kit Tomek! Stunning work is all I see. And as others have said it's hard to believe this is a paper model. I bought a paper model kit a few years back and after seeing the complexity I put it on the shelf where it remains to this day. I think I'll stick to plastic! ;)

Cheers,

Don