Another Jack

fastzx

Good show Erwin,

I've been wanting a Jack on my shelf for a long time.

It took me forever to find one and even longer to decide to actually put together such a rare beast.

I started collecting the classic Revell kits because I love the artwork on them so much.

It's also fun to tell people who don't know much about WW2 aircfraft that this or that plane is an Oscar, a Jack, a Frank, a Tony, George, Zeke, or A Rufe!!!!

Now I just have to get the nerve up to build that Nick vac. My first and last so far vac just about exhausted me. (p-39/p-400). I just don't see how Larry can crank them out so fast my P-400 took months!

Anyway the Jack should be more hospitable to wedge in during my Shinden scratch build.

I look forward to seeing these "shelfqueen" kits built rather than collect dust in a box.

Cheers,

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Cut out the front of the cowl with a hot x-acto.....so you can BARELY see the engine (just a glint or two of boltheads and engine parts) once the cooling fan blades behind the spinner are in place. (actually reminds me of a FW-190 radial cooling fan)

The Jack was supposed to replace the zero but by that point it was a short range B-29 interceptor. Only about 350-400 were made!

post-791-1239746700.jpg

Nice to see these supposedly precious Raiden kits getting built. I've got one in the stash too, and fully intend to build it (along with the Tony and George kits). Good work here too Jon; what you can see of the engine looks great.

Kev

Nice to see these supposedly precious Raiden kits getting built. I've got one in the stash too, and fully intend to build it (along with the Tony and George kits). Good work here too Jon; what you can see of the engine looks great.

Kev

Kev,

I have had this sitting on the shelf and have wanted to see it next to my other Japanese planes. I have the George also and plan on detailing it up too.

The cockpit is absolutly HUGE so detail is needed badly. I'm going to make a new panel, seat, electrical boxes and a new armored panel just behind the windscreen.

I have a Maru mechanic book for the Raiden and wish I could read Japanese! On my shelves I've already built my Revell Tony, converted another Tony into a KI-100, have a Hase Oscar, the Doyusha N1K2 George, KI-84 Frank, several zeros and a Rufe conversion. Just need to finish my Revell George, my scratch J7W1, and a Vac KI-45 Nick, and hopefully one of Dave Thompson's Claudes. I have Dave's KI-43-1 conversions but not sure if I'm going to put it on a Revell or another Hasegawa Oscar. And I can't wait to get The new KI-44 Tojo.

Also in the wings are the Hase KI-84 , KI-61 and the Tamiya Zero A6M5. Trying to find a Tamiya A6M2 for a decent price.

I guess I just got on a Japanese kick for a while. :lol:

Jon

I guess I just got on a Japanese kick for a while. :lol:

Indeed. I find my stash of Japanese subjects increasing all the time (in 1/48 too). I have a Rufe conversion too, but only the 21C Zero to go with it, and it doesn't adequately represent an A6M2 for that. The Tamiya Zero (A6M5) is really the only 'new tool' IJN/IJA kit I have. I still have to finish my old Revell Zero!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting back on the J2M3 Raiden Build...I hope to finish it soon while waiting on the XF-104 project metal paint hardens!!

Life has just gotten in the way Our dog died my wife has been unconsolable and my 8 year old son has been a handful , also still trying to find work.

Hope to show some pics soon as I need to escape back into model building.

Jon

post-791-1248870512.jpg