P-38 crash site (Austria)

alaninaustria

Hej guys... I need a litle help here. A very good friend of mine here in Austria has located a P-38 crash site. The farmer who owns the field where the P-38 came down was a young boy who saw the shoot down and crash. It was witnessed to be a Me 110 that came in very low over the hills underneath a two ship formation of P-38's. The Me 110 then climb underneath the P-38 and shot id down with a burst of fire from the cannons. The P-38 then spun in. The majority of the wreck was carted off to the smelter for the aluminum by the Luftwaffe but much of it remained including an engine block and debris. My friend found the following pieces and asked me to help identify them, if anybody here knows anything about the P-38 that would help us, please contact me directly. We have several new crash sites to visit this year, including one where the farmer has already given his "wheel barrow" to my friend for a newly purchased one.... the old one has the tail wheel fork and tyre of a Me 109 G-10. If parts of the G-10 are still in the field we will find out later this spring when the weather is better. So far a B-17 crash has been discovered (crashed with bombs onboard) and the US military sent their guys in from Hawaii to have a look. A Wellington has been discovered by my friend too, and it too will be excavated. I will post more as time allows! I guess you already know what my new hobby is going to be this coming spring and summer!!

Cheers

Alan :blink:

post-10-1172220437.jpg

another..

The larger piece is the gun camera part... the little blobs to tthe right are molten aluminum... we would liek to know what the black strasp part is with the threaded thumb nut is.. as well as the redish orange part is with "INSTRUM.... 77" painted on it.. surprisingly there was even a little plexiglass still at the crash site.... any help guys?

What we know so far is:

The pilot of this aircraft was: 2nd Lt. Quentin A. Teige

He was shot down over Lower Austria on May 24th 1944. He was part of the 306th Fighter Wing, 14th Fighter group, 49th Sq.

Very interesting stuff!

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Alan

post-10-1172220921.jpg

Very interesting. I knew some guy who is visiting crash sites of WW2 RAF-Bombers. Once he brought a belt buckle or mount of a Wellington bomber he found the day before into the workshop. A proud man he was that day B)

Literally in my back yard, in 1943, a P-47G made a hard crash-landing and 90% of the wreck is still there and in good shape.....

...... :huh: :) :unsure:

Yeah, I wish...

but some rehearsals for D-Day and the assaults on the Japanese Islands were made in the area, and there's still some abandoned materiel left behind. In fact, there are warning signs posted for trails that have beach access not to touch anything man-made, or to use cell phones or some damned thing! :lol:

As a WWII nut, I feel fortunate! I should take my camera with me next hike I take..... I keep forgetting! :unsure: