Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

I love the look of this plane and am seriously considering buying and just building it regardless of the inaccuracies and painting it in a scheme of my choice, safe in the knowledge that no-one else will ever see it.

Having said that, I am finding all the info absolutely fascinating and I appreciate all the knowledge that is evident in this thread. Please keep going.

Guest Airfixer

I love the look of this plane and am seriously considering buying and just building it regardless of the inaccuracies and painting it in a scheme of my choice, safe in the knowledge that no-one else will ever see it.

You nailed it.

Maybe the most vital and inalienable premise: You decide. You build your model just the way you want to, and make sure  it'll be a fun build - regardless what's been or will be written in this thread. And there are no friggin' objections to it. Metaphorically speaking, all the info, raised flags, etc. compiled in this thread are pretty much like a huge buffet. You can pick whatvever you like.

A question:

There are two pairs of holes in the lower fuselage whose function I can't identify.   The first pair are in Parts E51 and E70, just aft of the gun gas purge doors; one on each side of centerline  .  These holes are slightly oval in shape.  In the inside of these parts opposite the holes there is a recess molded.   It looks intentional, like there is supposed to be a part of some sort inserted from the inside.  The instructions do not include any mention of these holes and I couldn't find any parts on the sprues that look like they belong to these holes.

The second set of 'mystery holes' are on Parts E45 and E46 between the two ventral antenna mounts; one on each side of centerline.   Again, no mention of these holes in the instruction sheet; but there are some round parts on the clear sprue that look like they might fit.   Could they be lights?   But my references don't include mention of any ventral lights forward of the nose gear.    

This is a mystery to me.   I don't have any close up photos of the underside of the forward fuselage and the kit instructions offer no answers.   I'm inclined to just putty these holes over and just move on.

Can anyone unravel this puzzlement?

I completely appreciate all of the detail that all of you have shared on this kit. Please keep it coming. The variety of operators seems to have ignited the fire in all of us to build our favorite one. I like the Agressors and Top Gun aircraft, but it makes my day to see those of you interested in the colors of Switzerland or Bahrain or any of the others.

This plane makes me want to do some "What IF?" subjects, most especially a real Swedish Splinter camo, but doesn't dampen my desire for a 1/32 Saab Quartet.... for now, the F5 will do very fine. We might think of this one as a coloring book for our hobby.

Keep having fun,

Tnarg

Guest Airfixer

Holes parts E50/E71 = expended ammo case ejector chutes.

Sometimes faired over after the gun installation had been permanently removed. 

5wppu7O.jpg

Parts E45/E46 = forward avionics bay suction intakes.

On the ground, two ac-powered blowers circulate ambient air within the forward avionics bay when electrical power is on.
When the canopy is closed, conditioned air from the cockpit area is discharged through the cabin pressure regulator to the forward avionics bay.

wknU7hK.jpg

In-flight = lids closed
On the ground = lids open. (not included in the kit, replicating these lids from scratch is no biggie, though)

wRvj6ma.jpg

HTH

Erik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-5E Markings Tweak List - Kittyhawk proposed marking options versus kit content/kit plastic: http://forum.largesc...66843&p=1031030

Edited by Airfixer