Using Pigments?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

Bear in mind though the sealer might darken the pigments.

Good point to bring up. If you put the pigment down and brush or spray the fixer over it, it definitely changes the way the pigment looks. That was my number 1 complaint about it when I first started using it, and some tuts did exactly this, and I didnt really like the outcome.

I learned quickly that spraying or brushing the fixer on first, then dusting the pigment over it, really helps keep the pigment closer to the way it looks right out of the bottle. 

• G-Man likes this

#17 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

If you use standard white-spirit-like as a fixer, once it's fully dry, the pigments get back to their original color. Maybe a fixer based on a very diluted varnish or glue can modify the color, especially if it's not perfectly flat.

However, spraying a mist of thinned matt varnish over the pigments is OK, but NOT a wet coat !

The best way to experiment is... to experiment ! Just take a plastic something, paint it the color you want, and play with the pigments, try various things, so you will see what you can achieve, or not, without taking any risk with your model. :)

• Out2gtcha and G-Man like this

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#18 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Scroll down to where he does the fuel tanks to give you the idea

http://www.migjimene...EATEST HITS.pdf

Edited by TonyT, 09 November 2017 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users