• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

So, what can I use? I have tried nearly every resemblance of this product, but they all leave the canopies milky white? Or, must I just polish them up with Nuvo or something?

#2 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

AK interactive do a product, but I haven't tried it.

see

http://www.ak-master...K 893 GAUZY.pdf

#3 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Tony!!

#4 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

Gerhard,  I was going to see if I could get you some, but I don't have plans to get to RSA for a while.  Good luck!  Chris

Edited by CANicoll, 03 September 2017 - 12:23 AM.

• Gerhard likes this

#5 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

Thanks Chris, I will syphon some juice from a Baobab tree, add  some crushed cactus leaves, bring to the boil and use the strained liquid. Here in the jungle, we make do.

• Zero77 likes this

#6 Tony C

Tony C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

AK interactive do a product, but I haven't tried it.seehttp://www.ak-master...K 893 GAUZY.pdf

I've used the AZ Gauzy Clear and it's just as good as Klear/Future!

Recommended!
  • Mark M likes this

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

#7 KitmodellerNZ

KitmodellerNZ

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

Alclad Aqua Gloss gives a nice result too.

Another tip when dipping canopies is to dip the part in some glass cleaner such as Windex (must contain ammonia) and then into your clear of choice. The glass cleaner not only rinses the part, it breaks the surface tension which allows better coverage. I think it gives a slightly better result than dipping straight in the clear too.

Edited by KitmodellerNZ, 05 September 2017 - 12:17 AM.

• paul fisher, LSP_Kevin and Zero77 like this

#8 Mark M

Mark M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:57 AM

I've used the AZ Gauzy Clear and it's just as good as Klear/Future!

Recommended!

seconded, thats all i use now

Regards Mark

BANNER3-S.jpg

#9 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

I polish mine. I tried dipping a couple in floor polish, I was probably doing something wrong, but the problems outweighed any benefit.  It's not compulsory, it's quite legitimate to not dip canopies at all.

• Zero77 and Gerhard like this

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#10 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

I found sanding and polishing can yeild similar if not better results than Future dipping. But mixing 50/50 ammonia Windex and Future and dipping and drying...................then repeat for a double dipping, can yeild extraordinary results!    

I say this with confidence after looking at the Privateer that won best of show for aircraft at the US NATs this year.     I also agree, the process can be temperamental sometimes.

For me personally, getting good results for both polishing AND dipping can seem a tie, but I generally like to use ultra thin CA to attach my windscreens, and occasionally if I use this method, the tie breaker goes to dipping, since the Future makes a nice barrier to any cyanoacrylate fumes that may cloud the clear plastic. 

For me this benifit alone is reason to keep dipping Future in my modeling arsenal. 

• Iain (32SIG), Phartycr0c, Zero77 and 2 others like this

#11 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

I prefer polishing, too. The only build where i had to dip the canopy was a AlleyCat Yak-9b, as the canopy was quite unclear, even when thoroughly polished. I had to make 3 dips before if become really clear.

However, Brian is right, it may be useful if you use CA glue close to the canopy.

• Out2gtcha and MikeC like this

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#12 Tony C

Tony C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Alclad Aqua Gloss gives a nice result too.

Another tip when dipping canopies is to dip the part in some glass cleaner such as Windex (must contain ammonia) and then into your clear of choice. The glass cleaner not only rinses the part, it breaks the surface tension which allows better coverage. I think it gives a slightly better result than dipping straight in the clear too.

Not quite sure I follow, do you dip into the glass cleaner and then immediately into the clear or do you allow the window cleaner to dry first?

Thanks

Edited by Tony C, 05 September 2017 - 09:56 PM.

• Zero77 likes this

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

#13 KitmodellerNZ

KitmodellerNZ

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:40 AM

Not quite sure I follow, do you dip into the glass cleaner and then immediately into the clear or do you allow the window cleaner to dry first?

Thanks

No need to let the cleaner dry. Into the glass cleaner, shake off the excess and straight into the clear.

• Tony C and Zero77 like this

#14 Tony C

Tony C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

No need to let the cleaner dry. Into the glass cleaner, shake off the excess and straight into the clear.

Thanks, I'll get the wife to buy some window cleaner!

She's bound to agree, as she'll think that I intend doing our windows, silly girl :lol:
  • Bill_S, TonyT and KitmodellerNZ like this

#15 Mustang137

Mustang137

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

Just found the correct stuff on ebay. Took around a week to arrive.

http://www.ebay.com....872.m2749.l2649

• Out2gtcha likes this

Regards,

Phill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users