Big Beautiful Doll

Guest Peterpools

Matt, Thanks Buddy

Can't say enough about the Barracuda cockpit stencils and decals; as they really add to the overall appeal and look in the front office. Not sure why, Tamiya didn't go that route, since they included almost everything anyway on the decal sheet. Love the RB PE, nothing like it. To bad it's going to be nearly impossible to see unless BBD is flipped over to view the grills after completion.

I'm planning one more P-51 for this year and I'm really considering ading Barracudas cockpit detail set to the build.

Peter

I guess Tamiya didn't do it just for the sanity of most model builders. I know a lot of guys who wouldn't go the route of adding all of the stencils, plus all of the extra decals could add to an already very pricey kit. It's like why some companies offer cheap, stripped down kits (i.e. Revell) instead of super-detailing them? It's all about the price. If you keep the price low, more people will buy the base kit, then add stuff later on if they choose. But I think Tamiya hit this one out of the park, and I am sorely tempted to try one of these later on, once the stash shrinks down a bit.

I'm not sure how much more the Barracuda cockpit could add, but Roy always does stellar work!

Keep up the amazing work man, it's looking awesome. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mark

Still plugging away and will have a nice update this weekend. I was planning on doing the update earlier but between taking loads of notes on your build and being super busy at work, the update was pushed back a bit.

Keep those pics on your build coming.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL

TAMYIA P-51D MUSTANG

PT 4 THE REALIZATION

How quickly I forget. Getting caught up in the group build and following the work of the other builds very closely, I slowly forgot my Golden Rule #1. Build what’s in the box. After wavering on the path for a while and then seeing the fantastic work Mark is doing, I started to incorporate his detailing ideas in BBD. Progress slowed, I skidded of the path and I began to wonder why. Then the light went on and I re-read Golden Rule #1, decided to leave all the detailing and bits and pieces for a second P-51 build later this year. Of course, I also needed to follow my original plan: close up the gun bays and the engine cowl, as my main interest of add-ons and detailing is the front office. Since the front office was already completed, I resumed the narrow and straight path and progress has certainly picked up. The Merlin was completely assembly, painted and lightly weathered but her but she will remain in the confines of the Mustang, ready for flight.

At this point most of the major sub-assemblies are either well underway or done. My hat is still off and tipped to Tamiya as the part fit and details have been exemplary.

Enjoy

Peter

The Big Merlin is installed in it's home, painted and lightly weathered.

PCW_1707.jpg

PCW_1709.jpg

Test fitting the top and bottom cowlings .. fits like a glove. Wings, tail surfaces and rudder are also just test fitted, need to be cleaned up and polished before gluing into place with Tamiya Extra Thin.

PCW_1710.jpg

PCW_1711.jpg

PCW_1713.jpg

The wheel wells painted and weathered. I just want to thank again all the guys who offered information on the correct color of the wells and I finally decided to go with dirty green zinc chromate and interior black, mixed 10 parts green to one part black. I'm still reading and researching the colors and how each is made and all I can say is; what a mess. After the base coat had dried, I dry brushed the wells with Apple Barrel Dove Gray, let dry and then followed up with two oil washes; first lamp black and then burnt umber. When dry, I followed up with a last dry brushing a dirty interior green.

PCW_1714.jpg

PCW_1715.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Dan

Appreciate the kind words. I've learned a big lesson and that's stick with the plan and get it done. My new motto: Rule One Rules!

Peter

Wheel bay looks great. Color variation, enhanced micro details. I can't believe how well those pipes turned out. I seem to never be able to get molded on pipes painted to look like pipes. Great, just great.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Dan Thanks Rule #1 is the way to go! My only question to myself and the gang: why did it take so long to figure it out? Sure hope it wasn't from working too close to the glue all these years.

Ron .. Thanks Buddy... Much appreciated.

Mark Thanks for the compliments. Tamiya did the hard work; I just followed the numbers.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL

TAMYIA P-51D MUSTANG

Follow Rule #1; my GPS for the build. Slow but steady progress, over the past week. Ailerons, flaps, horizontal stabilizer and elevators were glued up, seams filled and sanded out. Fit was quite good but I questioned as to why Tamiya chose to not split the surfaces at the leading and trailing edges? I know the way they chose to go allows for a sharper trailing edge but what a pain cleaning everything up. Sure looks like the use of PE parts for hinges and attaching the flying surfaces is becoming the norm, as Tamiya went that route as well.

Once I had the wing assembly sanded and polished up, attaching it to the fuselage went perfectly. Nice work Mr. Tamiya. Radiator ducting went together smoothly and cleanly as well. All the remaining ducts and movable cooling cowls were assembled and added to the fuselage as needed. Some re-scribing was needed around the trimtabs and the radiator cooling intake, but that was about it. I might need to sharpen up the wing to fuselage fairings after the final cleanup is done.

This coming week will be focused on sanding and cleaning up all the mating surfaces and then it’s onto the gear.

Peter

PCW_1716.jpg

PCW_1717a.jpg

PCW_1718.jpg

PCW_1724.jpg

PCW_1725.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

You mean you stopped building the Jug for THIS?DodgeBall.gif

It looks great so far mate - the hardest is behind you - on to the simplicities of bare metal finish!!! :-)

Keep up the good work matespeak_cool.gif

Ads

Guest Peterpools

Ads

Pretty poor excuse I know. But this is why I don't have the Mustang in the HLJ assembly jig:

DSC_0008E.jpg

Thanks ;)

Peter