Mig-19 - supersonic dogfighter in orange dress

dutik

Always liked the look and big guns of the Mig-19. It happend to have two Trumpeter kits at the stash and some spare time - lucky coincidence  :yahoo:

So I just started with making the cockpit:

mig-190001v5kea.jpg

Added some Eduard PE and some scratchbuild thingees. The dashboard is very nice. Any other parts so-so. OK with closed canopy; for an open canopy I would go with a resin set like Pavlas. Boy, those jet cockpits are cramped compared to props (Corsair in this case):

mig-190018taj7l.jpg

For some reasons the tip of the intake divider looked too blunt to me. So I sanded it pointy enough to fit a supersonic fighter. Discovered after this that the sprue running across the intake ring part was no sprue, but the real tip of the intake divider... :whistle:

OK, I make no mistakes; just happy accidents. Fixed this with some putty and sanding, more putty and sanding, and again - guess you got it :rolleyes:

At least I added a good share of lead into the intake divider before I glued the parts together :punk:

Orange? What orange?

Oh, this one! This will become a Shenjang F-6 in Egypt colours. Air superiority grays with bright orange identification panels all around :yahoo:

Enjoy!

- dutik

I was able to climb into the MIG 17 at Evergreen. I had to twist and turn to get my legs past the seat bottom, then ease into the pan. I couldn't turn around to look over my shoulder. My shoulders were wedged between the two small "shoulder" panels on the side rails.

I have seen the film footage of pilots bailing out of them, I cannot imagine what that was like.

They had to be small.....

Great start Dutik, i love the Mig-19.

I was able to climb into the MIG 17 at Evergreen. I had to twist and turn to get my legs past the seat bottom, then ease into the pan. I couldn't turn around to look over my shoulder. My shoulders were wedged between the two small "shoulder" panels on the side rails.

I have seen the film footage of pilots bailing out of them, I cannot imagine what that was like.

They had to be small.....

Interesting !

Does anybody knows why Trumpeter has stoped their Mig-19 production? I have built a PF version a few years ago, and i'd be glad to build a S version one day, but it's now OOP, while the Mig-15 and 17 are still running (even if they are older and less good). Mig-19's even for twice the price of the Mig-15 would sell very well. I think it's a pretty good kit for an early Trumpy one.

Edited by Zero77

Well, for unknown reasons were no engine bodies inside the kit. Maybe because I got it second hand? Maybe. Did I mention that I own two of them? Well, the other kit had a full engine complement, and because it has two engines and the rear half-moon shaped bulkhead was at the sprues of the engines I got a spare bulkhead. Invisible when build in, but a great help to get the fuselage halves aligned. Especially with the large cut-outs at the bottom for the dive break and the front wheel bay. I've also made one more bulkhead to block the view from front into the empty fuselage. It's just a circular shape of 43 mm diameter, with a cut-off area on top to add the rear cockpit deck:

mig-1900027cuvi.jpg

I blocked the exhausts with the supplied covers. Added the other fuselage half. Let the glue cure for a while pressing the intake ring against it to avoid a gap. Well, most online builds tell you to add the rear fuselage halfes to the front ends to get two complete fuselage halves. Highly recommended! I did so and everything worked like a charm. I just had to add some small styrene strips from inside to keep the outer surfaces at one level, so there was no need for putty. Just a little bit of sanding (and without loosing surface details :) )

The rear end part is somewhat lower than the glued fuselage. Decided to glue it level with the upper deck to do any sanding at the less visible lower side:

mig-1900056dukw.jpg

Set it aside to dry overnight. Just to watch progress made:

mig-1900066wu9g.jpg

Fin temporarly placed without glue. Yepp, it starts to look like a Mig :yahoo:

- dutik

One of Trumpy's Triumph's

I really enjoyed building mine and had a blast telling everyone "It's NOT a MiG"

I got another one ,but Tony wanted it more than I did.

I love the wing attachment.......no filling,  did very little filling except around the wing cannon

jack

This is not a quickbuild. While fit and detailling are good Trumpeter designed the kit as "one fits all" to build any variants. So you have to do a lot of cut-outs, inserts, add-ons from small hatches to a fuselage made of 6 larger parts instead of a left and right half only. Nothing complicated, but take your time.

Wings glued and filled (larger gaps at the landing flaps). Had to add some styrene to smmoth out a step at the exhaust part.

mig-1900079ruwl.jpg

The dark parts in the UC bay are Eduard PE. The best part is the extra rib missing from the kit, but overall the exterior PE set is not a great help. Maybe I will add some plumbing to the UC bay to ive it the busy look of the real aircraft. Time will tell.

Thats it for this week. I am on a tour at the weekend.

- dutik

I love the wing attachment.......no filling,  did very little filling except around the wing cannon

jack

When i built mine, i found the wing attachment really lightweight for such a big boy. Just gluing the wings on their edge without any keys seems too fragile to me, so i drilled the fuselage and the wings edges, and add 2 large sprue bits to make the assembly more sturdy.

But yes, the fitting was pretty good and required almost no putty.

The most tiring and time consuming in that build was sanding and smoothing all the grainy surface of the plastic, but i had to do it for an Alclad painting.

Edited by Zero77

Great idea! Will try it to get more "grip" at the front of the wingroot.

Added the two large parts to the lower fuselage. Take your time an dryfit all. sand a bit here, add some styrene at the tabs/ mounting surfaces there until fit is the best possible. This reduces sanding after glueing a lot:

mig-190014piuoe.jpg

The inside of the lower front paneel is uneven - and this is visible from the intake. Added a strip of styrene, cut to fit the curvature of the intake splitter to the paneel before glueing it into the fuselage. Will add some putty too when glue has cured.

Thats it for now

- dutik

Of course :thumbsup:

Scroll down to the bottom. There she is in all her glory :yahoo:

BTW, seems like this one has also outer wing pylons (watch for that orange area in front of the fuel tank pylon...) connected with the use of IR AA missles. Matra Magic this would be, I guess. But I will left them off, to make the build faster.

- dutik

Of course :thumbsup:

Scroll down to the bottom. There she is in all her glory :yahoo:

BTW, seems like this one has also outer wing pylons (watch for that orange area in front of the fuel tank pylon...) connected with the use of IR AA missles. Matra Magic this would be, I guess. But I will left them off, to make the build faster.

- dutik

Egyptian_Shenyang_F-6C_in_the_nineties.p

Very cool!

Eye candy :)

Felt the need for something bright while building Gloss Sea Blue birds. Not to mention it looks good in the cabinet or on the exhibition table - especially with all that dull camo birds around :coolio:

- dutik

Filled joints, sanded all paneels flush, rescribed the lost paneel lines and rivets of the fuselage. It's a bless to have a good number of scribing templates at hand :)

Wings glued on:

mig-190011wgut1.jpg

Also drilled holes across the front wingroots and inserted a 2,4mm / 3/32' tube Evergreen styrene. Was easy. You have just to watch not to hit the cockpit or the wheel wells.

As you can see I cut the guns back to install a set of Master guns with resin muzzles. They are amazing! Master makes a set with muzzle brakes too. Bonus is a metal pitot. Recommended :yahoo:

Not to see but made ready: I will add static dischargers at the wing tips. Have a set of metal parts for this.

Next step: Cut and fill the rods and installation of tail surfaces.

Enjoy!

- dutik