Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Congratulations, Kev. So excited for you!! What a wild ride for you, full of fantastic changes, techniques, ideas and in these recent photographs, full of the wonderful beauty of a recreation in miniature....

Now, what's this about an engine?

Yep, the Quickboost engine I have for this build has had its casting block removed, and the backing plate fitted to the fuselage...and that's it. I'm not even sure if it fits properly! I know it fits within the confines of the cowling, but I have my doubts about its length, and it may not protrude far enough forward. I need to figure out a way of testing that, without have to install it permanently.

But the main hold-up has just been my reluctance to tackle the wiring job - something I find tedious and error-prone. I even considered not doing the wiring, and just painting and installing it, but I really just need to knuckle down and do it. I'm running out of excuses!

Kev

What next after this finally leaves the bench? 

The first priority will be a return to the bench of my even longer-running Fw 190S build. This really needs to be dealt with, and it will become my priority project after this one. I've also got a couple of incomplete sci-fi builds I've been tinkering with in my spare time, and they're starting to get in the way a bit, too, so I'd like push on with those and get them done.

The other project I've started working on, which I will probably start a WiP thread on soon, is Aeropoxy's resin Yak-3 kit:

KL7X6V.jpg

I've been working on parts clean-up while watching movies, but will probably stop once things need more attention than that!

Kev

OK, here's some shots of the underside weathering for Brian (and anyone else who cares):

x4Mmel.jpg

E9lFWW.jpg

A bit of dirt and wear in the wheel bays:

5QAH4z.jpg

Sadly, I couldn't get the Moskit exhausts to seat all the way in, and be flush with the outer skin:

lDi5jn.jpg

There's not a lot I can do about this, as the exhausts themselves are exceedingly fragile, so it'll have to be yet another one of those elements of the build that I'll need to live with. Basically, I should have planned this bit better!

Now, that Quickboost engine. I've managed to get it to sit inside the cowling by itself, and my fears of it being too short have been realised:

bhmxZL.jpg

It's hard to see in the photo, but the end of the gearbox housing is basically flush with the end of the cowling. The prop still fits clear of it, so I'm not really sure how far forward it should be moved. I'll take a look at some photos, but expert advice is also welcome - as always!

Kev

Kev, if I remember correctly the Quickboost engine backplate is flat. Could you not just add some styrene spacers there to get it to the correct depth?

Carl

Yep, and done! It was just a matter of how much to add. In the end, I've added a total 2.5mm of extension via styrene strip spacers. This is a bit of a compromise, because I think it pushes the front of the gearbox out a smidge too far, but the front of the cylinders still seems a little deep in the cowling. I think it'll work, but won't glue it in until the last, so that I have the opportunity to adjust things if necessary.

Kev

Really like it Kev! I'm glad to see that you were able to get the engine without pulling your hair out!!  :thumbsup:

I'm also glad to see that the 190S build is coming back out, I just read through the entire thread. What a really neat plane, you sure ran the gauntlet getting started with it!

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I feel like I'm better-equipped as a modeller to resume work on the 190S now, and make the most of it. Really looking forward to getting back to it!

And speaking of the Corsair's engine, I've started work on adding all the bits that Quickboost doesn't give you (pushrods, cylinder braces, etc). I've had to order some new Evergreen rod stock, as I don't have the correct size for the pushrods in my stash, so they'll have to wait a few days before I can add them. I'll move on to the wiring in the interim, but I have a quick question about the correct configuration of equipment atop the gearbox housing - there seem to be multiple variations on the real thing, and I can't sort them out. Quickboost gives you a particular set of parts, but I suspect they're correct for a later installation of the engine. Plus, it appears that Tim substituted one of the parts from another set (Barracuda?) when he sent the engine out to me. So now I'm just thoroughly confused! In the end, I'll probably just use what I've got, but I'd still like to know what's correct.

Kev

"but I have a quick question about the correct configuration of equipment atop the gearbox housing - there seem to be multiple variations on the real thing, and I can't sort them out. Quickboost gives you a particular set of parts, but I suspect they're correct for a later installation of the engine. Plus, it appears that Tim substituted one of the parts from another set (Barracuda?) when he sent the engine out to me. So now I'm just thoroughly confused! In the end, I'll probably just use what I've got, but I'd still like to know what's correct."

Kev

I just checked the QB set ( # 32 036 ) and it does have the correct parts, the distributors and molded in ignition ring. Barracuda sells these as a correction for the Tamiya kit but you are good to go.

Allan

"but I have a quick question about the correct configuration of equipment atop the gearbox housing - there seem to be multiple variations on the real thing, and I can't sort them out. Quickboost gives you a particular set of parts, but I suspect they're correct for a later installation of the engine. Plus, it appears that Tim substituted one of the parts from another set (Barracuda?) when he sent the engine out to me. So now I'm just thoroughly confused! In the end, I'll probably just use what I've got, but I'd still like to know what's correct."

Kev

I just checked the QB set ( # 32 036 ) and it does have the correct parts, the distributors and molded in ignition ring. Barracuda sells these as a correction for the Tamiya kit but you are good to go.

Allan

Thanks Allan - once again! I'll have to post a photo of the parts I have, as I suspect that one of them is not from the Quickboost set - it's moulded in a different coloured resin, and the original part off the QB pour block is missing. It also seems too large, and won't let the piece in front of it fit properly if I install it. Photos will explain it better, which I'll endeavour to post tomorrow.

Kev

As promised, here is a photo of the Quickboost engine equipment:

T1TSCQ.jpg

One part has already been installed on the engine. As you can see, the middle part appears not to belong to this set, and if I install it, the little part to its right won't fit in front of it - unless I have its orientation wrong, as the instructions give you no real clue about that. But I'm assuming the right-most part is the rear, and in this case there isn't enough room for both parts to coexist in the allotted area. I think I can squeeze them both in if I rotate the small part 90°, but I suspect that orientation is incorrect, and so far I can't work out what is correct!

Allan?

Kev

Kev, 

Check out http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50722 for help in parts alignment. Pascal nailed this engine and I'd use it as a "example" of where the parts should fit any day of the week.  The small object at the front of the gearbox is the prop governor, and it mounts to the small "square shaped pad" cast on the gearbox. The bigger "box" is the magneto and goes between the new distributer covers you bought and is set behind the smaller part and towards the back of the gearbox, with the back edge of the part just about to the cylinders.  

This may help a bit too.

http://www.connecticutscorsair.com/pages/r-2800_overhaul_manual_illustrations.htm

Paul