1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

I'm wondering if the base plate might actually have been black, rather than blue. It does look noticeably darker than the spinner itself, to the point of barely being able to see any blue in it at all.

Kev

Thanks Kev - hadn't thought of that and I think you are right - the more I look at pics, the more I see it as black..

WIP1536_zpsefpxdgju.jpg

there are cases where even in B&W it doesn't mastch the blue or the red, but does match the prop - I did wonder if when the spinner was painted whether it was easy to just take the spinner off & paint it and the backplate stays in place with the prop - if the spinner was black, then the backplate logically would just stay black..

The only pic I have of TZ138 in all metal finish with the Canadian Cold Weather flight unfortunately doesn't show the spinner, so can't be confirmed, and in it's service life before that it was what looks like Sky so hard to make any deduction really..

I think it looks black, and if this results in 'Spinnergate' then so be it.... :)

thanks for bringing it up Joerg - just goes to show the power of the forum in reliving & documenting history..

TTFN

Peter

HA, ! There you go................. maybe my Four Eyes 'were working' after all................... well at least now I won't have to phone my optometrist tomorrow and demand a refund !!! :rofl: :rofl:

Jeff:

I think the last few posts have just sufficiently debunked the (in)famous "Four Eyes Principle", as four eyes seem not to be enough by far! :coolio: :coolio:

––

Joerg

Edited by BlackCanopy

The back=plate debate reminds me of the static received oner the colout of the trim on my 1:32 scale Mustang.  We had all kinds of opimions but the old pilots memory was correct..the trim was light blue, as proven a year after I finished the model..when a friend found a beautiful dolour photo of the 1:1 scale bird..

It all depends on the reflective angle on a curved surface.  If PB were working I would be able to show you what I mean.

Barney

http://s60.photobucket.com/user/alleycat_01/library/Fairchild%2024 .  Try this link to the Fairchild 24 album and note the different shades of blue on the cowlingg and the fuselage..with the hangar doors open and closed.  Same paint but different  light sources and different angles

Barney

evening folks :)

things have slowed down a bit as we get into the final furlong - I keep telling myself to not rush and take as much care with the remaining assembly as I have up to now. It's easy to fall into the trap of bolting all the final bits on and calling it done...

actually it is getting quite hard to handle, it's quite big and without all the protective stuff on it I need to be very careful not to ding it on things as a dent in the metal means a new panel.. it also means a lot of planning so I can minimise handling, so for example I want all the underside done so I can add the canopy & windshield last and most likely the rudder and elevators at the very end as I still need to build these..

there is also not much to show in terms of building, for example the radiators were added - it took me two goes until I was happy with how they faired into the wing and the big curved mounting bracket each side of them..

WIP1537_zpsblhactud.jpg

WIP1538_zpsdqrmyrer.jpg

..all the gubbins can clearly be seen inside them and is a little detail I like :)

WIP1539_zps0tqibam9.jpg

..and from the front - the panel right in front of the rad is just dry fitted for the photo, all the panels here need to go on after the gear is added..

WIP1540_zpswhpkdhul.jpg

the chin intake was also added - I was reassured by reference pics that this is quite a rough structure in a lot of cases, with big gaps and dents so I built it just like that :coolio:

WIP1542_zpsuuterzlh.jpg

..and the underside is coming together..

WIP1541_zpsxab4wakd.jpg

WIP1543_zpsf3ypw5ru.jpg

have been working on adding the ailerons and here it is sat on the tinted mirror base I thought might suit it better...

WIP1544_zpsqcwkajrz.jpg

lots of bits to go, but it really is getting near the end now :)

TTFN
Peter

A cultural artifact of its own. To keep it on a highly abstract base works to underline it's status. In fact, it should stand on a white cube inside a white cube.

Imagine future archaeologists digging this up and trying to understand the kind of society to come up with such things ...

%-)  Joerg

I *may* have found my next subject...

WIP1545_zpsdlkappji.jpg

..big, NMF, well documented, accessible and a legend..

toying with it as Mirek sent me their 1/18 list and I quite like the way it works using their big kit mouldings as a canvas..

P51B or a P38 also interest me... decisions, decisions - I need to stay focused, but I am having a little think about it  :ninja: 

Peter