SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfury

spacewolf

Man it feels good getting back at this ! Spent the day playin... er :rolleyes: .. working on it for the first time in years ! First up another pic of the Viper MK II for scale...

ZUqDGEc.jpg

Working on the reverse thruster for the engine... the one I had made years ago was wrong so nothing for it but to build anew ! As usual finding large tubes for the part meant hunting through the parts box and a Soviet missile from the old Cold War Missile set was just right...

q3eeQYa.jpg

The section was cut out, discs cut from sheet and positioned, then planking started with tapered strips of 1/16.

AMOWm19.jpg

Once sanded down it was positioned in a jury rigged guide to get the proper angles...

iRdIu4t.jpg

Strips of 1/32 glued on...

ffVNAOE.jpg

Another disc of 1/32 and angle bits...

5YUHAZ3.jpg

And it looks pretty good...

EUxYlRa.jpg

More detail to be added to the outside and the inside as well... but that is another day... maybe tomorrow !!

Thats it for now.

Vaughn

Yes things were going swimmingly.... but something was bothering me... so back to my ref and pics... and there it was, thumbing it's nose at me... :doh: .

I had made the face of the thruster wrong... not 18 but 12 flanges... :BANGHEAD2: ...... so off it all had to come, new parts made...

t4Wpyho.jpg

A thinner disk looks better....and thicker flanges.

y8ZaSIU.jpg

Base mounting fittings were made by laminatiing 3 layers of .020

YuIaSrs.jpg

SDkzs0t.jpg

And it was finally starting to look right...

yMCHp2Y.jpg

Step by step, slowly it comes along. Work gets in the way but the build continues....

The inside of the reverse thruster is complicated.. the 'skin' over the mesh on the ship...from the starshipmodeler ref page...

FJ9WLxt.gif

The area is always in shadow (no pun intended) or lit up by the thruster eng... The model kit detail is totally wrong but looks good.. so I kinda split the difference..

Disc's stacked

xOvzyly.jpg

Fitted in, glued ... fin's cut and glued in place...

atcn2jW.jpg

giboHQi.jpg

I think it will look good painted up.... now to see about getting someone to cast this as I don't want to build 3 more of these !!

More madness in a few days !!

Vaughn

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great Vaughan!

Maybe see if Johnny Crash can cast it for you? He did a couple seats for my Mad Max V8 interceptor and the castings were great.

He's on here and SSM too.

Carl

Thanks Carl, I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers

Vaughn