1/32 Trumpeter P-40B Pearl Harbor build.

1to1scale

Almost ready for primer, I still need to do a little edge sanding on the cowl, mask the canopy, clean up some of the seams. Now I need about two hours get that done. Luckily I have Montex masks for the canopy, so that should shave a few hours off the normal canopy masking sessions.

Mgp7MwX.jpg

6ye9qbp.jpg

R6h5Yjy.jpg

They are far from 100%, but I originally was going to not expose the engine at all, so only the tips of the exhaust would be seen. I painted the whole assembly black, but then thought that I might as well practice weathering and painting large engines. All I had done before was 1/72 radial engines, so this was a testbed with different paints, washes, and techniques. I am actually pleased how the engine came out as I had no idea if any of it would work. I have now decided to leave the top panel removable, but will probably leave it sitting on the model in the display cabinet. So far, each model I have built this year is some kind of learning experience with a new skill or technique. I really make it a point to try something new on each model. The goal is to build a show winner one day. This one won't be it, but I have a few kits stashed for when I feel I am ready to try and build one.

As for this kit, it will be a first for a few things...

1. First 1/32 kit, my eyes can't take another 1/72 scale photoetch throttle lever.

2. First weathered engine, more than just black wash.

3. First all painted on markings, other than stencils, no decals.

I plan on doing a Trumpy F6F5 Hellcat next, and trying to wire that engine.

Joel,

I gave up 1/72 scale a million years ago. I can't even see 1/48 scale that well, so I moved up to 1/32 for single engine props and small jets. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those craft cutters, and learning how to make simple masks, then move on to more difficult ones. So you're already ahead of me on the old learning curve. 

Two airplanes I'm dying to build (multiple times each) in 1/32 scale  is a P-51B, and a F6F-3 & 5. Unfortunately, neither exists that this time. As long as you're willing to live with the odd shaped fuselage behind the cockpit, then go for it. I'll be following your build from day 1. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Had a few minutes yesterday and was able to do a little masking and throw down a coat of black base primer. This is the second project I used the Stynylrez primer on, and it works great! Even if you put it down way too thick in one area, it levels out nice. Also covers great, dries fast, and dries very hard. So far I have used the white and black primers and I like them.

X0hmt2j.jpg

we93Cgx.jpg

Yv6ALdM.jpg

Welcome to LSP.  I'll be watching this.

I'm working on an Hawaiian P40 as well.  Summer has been slow with kids home.  Hope to pick up bench time in a few weeks when kids return to school.

Might not want to hear this.  Noblekraft makes resin exhausts for P40B/C TRU kit.  They are much improved and worth the $$.  ;)

Your build is looking great, continued success!

sorry, no updates. I have been playing with a new airbrush, I have a cheap master G22, which works ok, but does not do close up detail very well, and tends to spatter a bit. I ordered an Iwata NEO to play with, so far I am not impressed. I don't think it performed any better than my G22. So I spent an after playing with setting for both, I noticed whenever I cleaned the tip on the neo with a cotton swab, fibers would get snagged. When I removed the needle, it seemed sort of rough. My Master is better than that. I spent some time with a polishing sponge and polished the needle, I also did the master too. I plan to load up some more paint and test again. If I dont get spectacular results, I will send it back and possibly order a Harder & Steinbeck. Unfortunately, I cant spend over $200 on a nice Iwata right now. 

Have not had a lot of time to play this week, but had an hour tonight to get my masks on, it took several tries to get the wing insignia on, the top wing is not perfect, but after three tries, it fairly close. The bottom wing insignia is a little crooked and I may just try to take another shot at it tomorrow. I got both fuselage insignia pretty much dead on. There is a learning curve to using masks and I definitely learned some things. I also customized and chopped up my "300" to become a "160" for Lt. Welch's bird. I believe I can also cut up the tail number from "18P to make a "15P"

I am still a little confused as to what parts of the mask do I leave on for the insignia, should I remove the parts of the mask outside the star but inside the circle, or should I leave them in place until after I spray upper and lower color?

dWr69ei.jpg

fUzo7lQ.jpg

In3liz3.jpg

Saturday morning I painted the lowers in Vallejo USAAF grey, I gave it a day or two to dry.

hJUWdWZ.jpg

I finally got a few hours to work on painting tonight. At the last minute, I decided to remove the blue part of the mask, and I loaded up the new Neo airbrush with some Vallejo USAAF olive, after debating about masking, I freehanded the transition after playing with my modified Neo and being able to get a small line down. I'm still a little shakey freehanding, but I think I did ok.

P540YJ8.jpg

MqzkHIX.jpg

3Dbe0PN.jpg

I gut a little schmutz here I need to sand off and touch up later...

6TXQ3g4.jpg

Overall, I think the new airbrush did well, I'm sure I will need to touch up a few areas along with some of the insignia white as the masks did not like the overly thick steps between the baggage door and fuselage, the numbers on the wing roots may need some also.

azYKBzK.jpg

qzufVuV.jpg