Trumpeter A-4M Canopy in the open position

Greg W

15 hours ago, GDW said:

Does anyone out there know of a true mirror product which one can use to make rear view mirrors on a canopy frame? I really don't like the look of painting mirrors silver on a model.

I use a Silver roll of Sellotape, it gives a good mirror finish, well good enough, especially after burnishing it down onto the surface of the kit part. I usually only see it on sale around Christmas though. A roll will last forever though. 

There is also some good and thin reflective material you can find at craft stores. I can't remember what brand I bought, or for that matter, where the hell I put it or I would let you know.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

There is also some good and thin reflective material you can find at craft stores. I can't remember what brand I bought, or for that matter, where the hell I put it or I would let you know.

Thank you for pointing me to a craft store!

Edited by GDW

On 7/11/2018 at 4:43 PM, ade rowlands said:

I use a Silver roll of Sellotape, it gives a good mirror finish, well good enough, especially after burnishing it down onto the surface of the kit part. I usually only see it on sale around Christmas though. A roll will last forever though. 

m27Wv50.jpg

I recently found a product at Wal Mart that I thought would be great, but when I checked it out at home, its way to thick to use. I will look for the silver Sellotape for sure. Thanks for the tip! Greg

Edited by GDW

6 hours ago, GDW said:

https://imgur.com/m27Wv50

I recently found a product at Wal Mart that I thought would be great, but when I checked it out at home, its way to thick to use. I will look for the silver Sellotape for sure. Thanks for the tip! Greg

No problem. I looked for a link and a pic to show what I was talking about but the only one I could find was of the packaging not the tape. This is no thicker than the original Sellotape which should be fine for larger scale stuff. The craft store angle may produce something similar too. There’s DIY type tapes in Sikver but these seem quite thick. I’d take a pic of the tape myself but I’m yet to set up a new photo hosting account after photobucket. 

This is good. I was wondering how to do this. My A-4 is in a 4 year hiatus waiting for Anthony in NZ’s exciting cockpit project. I think I need to also make the bulkhead. If the Brazilian version is the same as the NZ version..there is a loose (looks like canvas) strap that flaps around on one side that is for the pilot to pull the canopy down with. 

inwsiv.jpgThis is good. I was wondering how to do this. My A-4 is in a 4 year hiatus waiting for Anthony in NZ’s exciting cockpit project. I think I need to also make the bulkhead. If the Brazilian version is the same as the NZ version..there is a loose (looks like canvas) strap that flaps around on one side that is for the pilot to pull the canopy down with. 

6 hours ago, hamfists nz said:

By the way..what product is your ejection seat? It looks much nicer that the kits

9kjtJ8e.jpg

tfYkafB.jpg

gYzdPI8.jpg

As you know, the canopy for the A-4M is different from earlier models. What version of the A-4 is the RNZAF one based on?

INOIGuf.jpg

The pull strap stayed however. The AF-1 is really a A-4M. It looks like the RNZAF A-4 is based off of a earlier version before the M, so the canopy is not the same. 

4QnaR4v.jpg

Edited by GDW

4 hours ago, hamfists nz said:

This is good. I was wondering how to do this. My A-4 is in a 4 year hiatus waiting for Anthony in NZ’s exciting cockpit project. I think I need to also make the bulkhead. If the Brazilian version is the same as the NZ version..there is a loose (looks like canvas) strap that flaps around on one side that is for the pilot to pull the canopy down with. 

The strap is 1 inch wide webbing with a loop in the end, it attaches to the canopy hook and is stowed in the grey map/pins bag on the RH cockpit wall.  Its actual use was to stop the canopy opening fully and putting pressure on the canopy bungee, the strap held the canopy a couple inches short of fully open.